Official Level Design Contest Voting September-December 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
My excuse for not entering is laziness, occupation with other things, and the fact that making a SP stage with no real idea as to where it should go is harder than you'd think.

Oh, and ZTaimat; no, no, no. They're not too busy releasing three-sector WADs; they're too busy creating crappy character WADs. Duh. :P

Shadow Hog said:
Oh, and ZTaimat; no, no, no. They're not too busy releasing three-sector WADs; they're too busy creating crappy character WADs. Duh. :P

Actually, that's what the OTHER half of the n00bs are doing. See, our community sucks so much that not only are the oldbies seperated from the n00bs, but the n00bs are seperated amongst themselves too! *shot*

MATCH:
MAP01 - Shortcake Mountain Zone by SRB2-Playah: 8/10
A big map, with nicely placed rings and obstacles. I really like the cave, and all the mountain climbing. But it might be too big for tails. Problem is, I never play with Tails, so I didn't get a chance to find out. Also, this map wasn't all that fun with less then 4 players. Its hard to find each other.

MAP02 - DK64-Battle Zone by Mariosonic
: 6/10
Decent map, but its a bit small and repetive. I also found a few visual bugs here. The map is quite fun with few players, but with many, it just sucks.

MAP03 - Glaber Base 3 Zone by Glaber: 5/10
There are much waay too small hallways. I couldn't even thok without bumping against the roof or a wall. This might be fun with few players that all use Tails, but for the rest.....its a meh. Oh, and I've been staring at all those item boxes 1/2 of the time.

MAP04 - Desert in the Sky by 1-Up: 7/10
Its a fun map. Not too big, nor too small. The ring placement was fine, and I actually liked the scenery and stuff. The pool, however, was kinda crappy during a fight. And, that teleporter should be easier seen. I see every player that fell in there change skin to Tails and fly up.

MAP05 - Winter Forest Zone by Lloyd: 7/10
The map looks good, and there are plenty of ways to enter the house. The trees are plain fun for chasing each other, but the tops look weird. I'd rather get more room when standing on a tree. Oh, and for gods sake, I don't wana fall in a fire when I get in the house. THANKS. But it was still a fun map. As long as the players don't get above 10.

MAP06 - Ivory Square Zone by Digiku: 9/10
Wow...just wow. This is exactly how I hoped a city would have been made in SRB2. It rocks, yes it does. More then enough freedom in movement. Advantages for all players, plenty of rings, not too big or small. The only disapointment was that I couldn't get in the shops. Aw.....great map anyway.

MAP07 - Plughole by Oogaland: 7/10
The textures kinda confuses me. And I'll never forget the first time I fell in that hole. Bah, and I tought it was a passage to the underwater world. Anyway, there was plenty of room, and exactly the good size. Fun with any number of players above the 2.

MAP08 - Central Control Zone by Neo Chaotikal: 6/10
I'd say this map was good, but I can't. The passageways are a tad too small. Also, the background always gets in my view. I hate it if you see the background, but not whats behind it. I got attacked by players way too much. Worst thing of all, you couldn't get on tree tops. When thokking around, I always tried to get up there, because there was hardly any time to think. Other then this, I loved the forest parts. Especially the flooded forest part. PS: Why central control room? I only see nature, except for that single machine there.

MAP09 - Volcanic Cavern Zone by FuriousFox: 6/10
Boring....the map was all the same in most places. I either saw players thokking around and around in the hallways, or I saw players fighting for the box in the middle. Visuals and basics are OK, but its too repetive.

CTF:
MAP10 - Magma Cavern Zone by Flame the Hedgehog: 7/10
Well, this map looks great, and plays fine too. The ring placement was a bit too random. There is 1 thing that really bugged me....the alternative ways. Normally, alternative ways are great. But as much as you did....I got lost. I got the red flag, took the first path in sight, and ran off. After half a minute walk, I got back to the red flag base. It happend twice. Also, 1 of the shortcuts depend on the fire shield. Wich is.....good.

MAP11 - Azure Frost Zone by JJames19119: 7/10
CTF the way its supposed to be. Nobody has a disadvantage. I hated 1 thing about arial garden. The fact that you had to stand on the ledge, to get to the next platform. Lucky me, you didn't make that mistake. I see only 1 problem. The cheap death pits. I didn't see one of em, and fell in. Also, you might wanna add some alternative routes.

MAP12 - Card Carnival Zone by JJames19119: 7/10
Alternative routes, some games, and nice level design. Thats what I'm talking about! I had fun doing the mini-games, and I nearly automaticly switched to 3rd person. The bouncy room was fun. The spinning room too, but there was 1 major problem. You could jump and ignore the speed paths. Everybody did that, and it kinda ruined the fun. Also, there were times when I didn't know wich way what base was. The nice chambers were looking good, but its too bad 2 guys just sat there talking about RPG and stuff.

Race:
MAP13 - Sunset Gardens Zone by Flame the Hedgehog: 7/10
I was missing 1 thing.....the sun. A special background would fit well here. Anyway, as I raced forward, it was quite fun. I found myself once again in barrier when I tried to cross the top. Aw....why barriers? So I wasted time and found myself 2nd in place. In the end, I was bouncing from spring to spring. And I'd say that a alternative route would really fit here. Like....the choice to either the left or right spring. Oh well, it was fun.

MAP14 - Mario Circuit 2 by Spazzo: 4/10

I swear I saw this level in SRB2 before. *ahum* I saw visual glitches everywhere. The low bridge and the lack of rings were a major problem as well.. Worse then that, the sand didn't slow you down, while the grass killed you. It should be, the sand slows you down, and the grass hurts you. Meh, the only positive thing I got to say, is....it was fun thokking around unlimited in a good ol Mario kart stage.

Before I vote on the maps (which probably will never happen), I propose a new idea. In essence, a replacement for map-making contests.

Competitions in gametypes.

Since it seems like around 65% of the community can't wad or can't wad well (this includes me, here), how about we have gametype competitions instead of map-making ones? We could have somebody hold a few dedicated servers up, each for a diffrent gametype. Somebody can make a ladder-style script, seperate for each different gametype. The winner of each gametype....ehh......wins a cookie.

Yeah, sure, this is stretching a bit here, but from my point of view, map making contests have been around to long, are not really paid any attention, and are in need of revision.

Match
MAP01 - Shortcake Mountain Zone by SRB2-Playah - 6/10 Nice map, but it is not good with few people.
MAP02 - DK64-Battle Zone by Mariosonic - 5/10 It was too glitchy. You could fall in stairs in some rooms, and like mentioned before the stairs in the center room have to be jumped.
MAP03 - Glaber Base 3 Zone by Glaber - 4/10 It probably would be better suited for doom.
MAP04 - Desert in the Sky by 1-Up - I based it off of StarFox Assault's Titania Desert.
MAP05 - Winter Forest Zone by Lloyd - 9/10 A very good map, and it was fun to play.
MAP06 - Ivory Square Zone by Digiku - 9/10 It was very detailed and it looked nice.
MAP07 - Plughole by Oogaland - 10/10 I never had trouble with the death pit and it was fun.
MAP08 - Central Control Zone by Neo Chaotikal - 7/10 It was a bit too tight in some places but overall a good map.
MAP09 - Volcanic Cavern Zone by FuriousFox - 7/10 It was a bit big but had good level design.

Capture the Flag
MAP10 - Magma Cavern Zone by Flame the Hedgehog
MAP11 - Azure Frost Zone by JJames19119
MAP12 - Card Carnival Zone by JJames19119 Very nice fun level, but I can't vote till I play in netgame.

Circuit
MAP13 - Sunset Gardens Zone by Flame the Hedgehog
MAP14 - Mario Circuit 2 by Spazzo
If I get the chance I will finish later.

1-Up said:
The quicksand that everyone is complainin' about in my map is escapable. I put teleport sectors in the corners of the quicksand that take you to the sniping post.
This gives you a way to the special rings. You just didn't look hard enough. I use knux usually, so yes it is a better map for them.

Here are my reviews. Note that I did not use many technical terms so try to bear with me as this is also my first time judging. (It took me FIVE HOURS to do this, and I used Word.)

Scores: (look down for extended explanations)
Match
Map 01: Shortcake Mountain: 8.5
Map 02: DK-64 Battle: 5.0
Map 03: Glaber Base 3: 6.5
Map 04: Desert in the Sky: 7.5
Map 05: Winter Forest Zone 2: 9.0
Map 06: Ivory Square: 9.5
Map 07: Plughole: 8.5
Map 08: Central Control Center: 7.0
Map 09: Volcanic Cavern: 6.0
CTF
Map 10: Magma Cavern: 9.0
Map 11: Azure Frost: 7.0
Map 12: Card Carnival: 7.5
Circuit
Map 13: Sunset Garden: 7.5
Map 14: Mario Circuit 2: 2.0

*Scores are NOT determined by on color, texture, music, eye-candy, cool effects effects, slopes, etc.

Shortcake Mountain: Overall, I really enjoyed this level. The only problem I see here is the number of rings in this stage. You put a large amount of rings in this stage, so large, that you could probably cut the top half of the stage off and you would have two stages! The hidden area was a nice surprise to me when I found it. In addition, the slopes were a nice part of this level, but bear in mind that it does not affect the level’s score. In conclusion, this makes a better Tag/Hide-and-seek map than it does Match, but still I think it is a great map. One thing I must warn you about is the automatic-bomb ring combination, which crashes SRB2. 8.5

DK-64 Battle: When I first entered this map, an unpleasantly bland red wall greeted me. This will not affect your score, however, but bear in mind that people prefer levels that are not so much of an eyesore to them. The arrow-formations of rings had too many rings in them. This level has excessively many rings for its size, meaning that it will take a long time for players to get killed. A good thing about this level was how the special rings complemented its size. If there were to be a match here, I would see countless amounts of rings spilling everywhere. The stairs leading up to the floating platform have a problem, the third stair form the top in each set it too big to cross without jumping, which annoyed me somewhat. This level could actually be excellent with a few adjustments. There can be massive chaos in this level, which calls for a great match. Even still... 5.0

Glaber Base 3: This map is also small and cramped, but its special ring weapons complement its size. This stage has too many rings, not to mention that some of them are not even deafed. I also noticed that this map has the Homing-rail combination, which is the most powerful two-ring combination ever. I saw absolutely no point in the ring/item box display rooms, other than the point of just being there. I did like the fact that there were TWO random boxes instead on one, meaning that they would be hard to take control of them. One thing about this level that I also do not particularly enjoy was the maze-like narrow passages, which are death traps for countless victims of bomb rings. You also have to decide whether to take out the rail rings or the homing rings, because you cannot have both in one level. 6.5

*invalid report*Desert in the Sky: This level is unique in a way, as it gives Tails and Knuckles users an advantage in the sense of the bottomless pit that Sonic cannot get out of it. The only flaws in this stage are the fact that there are so many rings. I also dislike the fact that this stage is so bland. A few mountains and a pool in the center….no special rings (impossible to get for sonic)….where is the variety? 4.5

Winter Forest Zone 2: This zone is great, and I especially like the fact that there are not too many rings in it (although, it is kind of pushing it)! This zone has a perfectly constructed building with a creative interior, plus the fact that this zone’s most powerful ring requires some skill to get as Sonic! The only major flaw this zone really has is its TWO semi-random item boxes RIGHT next to each other in the house. This can cause a major unfairness when a player is twice as likely to get a great power-up (invincibility, armageddon, attraction). This is overall a great level for match, due to the mix of a cramped and a wide-open playing field. 9.0

Ivory Square: Another incredible map, I truly see no flaw in this one. The amount of rings is just right, the random item box is fairly placed, having easy access to, and the ring weapons are spread out. This level is so good; I have to be precise on its tiny details. My first piece of advice is: do not place so many rings on the “shelves” (I do not know what to call them) above the streets. My second piece of advice is to make sure the ring weapons are placed on opposite sides of the field to discourage control takeover. Adding a few bomb-rings in it would make this level better as well. My final suggestion is to “open” the “shops”, which will provide shelter from the rail rings, meaning this map will not turn into a snipe-fest. This map is superior for match, and it deserves a 9.5.

Plughole: This map is outstanding, but I must point out that only one type of ring weapon (infinity does not count) means limited variety. I suggest adding rail rings to this stage, mainly because this stage has some very good sniping points, and the fact that rail rings go nicely with bomb-rings (firing rate down, accuracy up). This stage has a nice network of passages in the center, so matches do not get boring. On the topic of the passages, lighten up the ring count a bit. 8.5

Central Control Center: This level has some issues in the ice/river area, such as the “false” areas of land that I continuously tried to thok onto for about a minute. This level is very creative, using a variety of geography to a certain extent. The special rings complement the small size of this stage, although the massive number of rings in the beach area calls for a long match. This small and simple stage is quite enjoyable. 7.0

Volcanic Cavern: A highly symmetric map that becomes boring somewhat quickly. It also has too many rings in the center room. This map has little variety due to the 4 bomb rings placed in the lava and its symmetry. Other than that, no level design flaws whatsoever, and good job putting the one random box in the center of the stage. This is more of a “King of the Hill” type match compatible map. 6.0

Match Level Summary: Although some of these stages are ingenious, others need a bit of adjustments made to them. The main problem was the fact that most stages had too many rings, which leads to endless fighting. No-one’s going to die with all those rings in a stage, and someone’s going to get an attraction shield and sit in those areas with a lot of rings and suck the field dry while getting seemingly infinite ammunition. Other than that, some of the “cramped zones” could expand a bit, but just a bit. My overall rating (not necessarily an average) of the match maps is a 7.5.

Magma Cavern: This map is an incredible CTF zone. My advice on the lower secret route is to make the patches of land high enough so a person cannot escape from the lava merely by jumping. I also advise you to take out all of the rings in that passage (or greatly reduce the amount of rings in it, to reduce its usage even more, but have it so that it will be used occasionally (for variety). That route will be in use most of the time in the stage, due to the low level of risk it presents. My other word of advice to you is to put a second fire shield in this level, but hide it well. Overall, this is a great CTF zone. 9.0

Azure Frost: This level is somewhat hard to play in. There were so many times that I fell into a bottomless pit (more than 20), and it took more than 13 minutes for me to score five times. The connecting room has too many rings in it as well. On the other hand, this level has rings suitable for both sniping and close range, as well as complexity, although I did not like the fact that the flag was only accessible from only one direction, meaning there will be “flag guards” in this level. Due to the hard-to-notice bottomless pits and the fact that there was only one clear path to the flag in this map, I will give it a 7.0

Card Carnival: This zone…well, this zone was interesting. One thing I noted is the fact that you used the bounce and speed pad effects (which I have never seen in any CTF zone before). This stage had a clever setup to me. I could not find the flag until after three minutes of searching in this stage. One thing about this stage is the fact that it uses the auto-bomb ring combination. When thrown, these rings cause SRB2 to crash, so you have to take at least one out. I was a bit disappointed to see no rail rings in this stage; for there were great sniping points here, (the middle level in the buildings next to the bouncy rooms, for example). In all, I would give this zone a 7.5

CTF Level Summary: Thankfully, these stages were better overall than many of the match stages. I am still seeing too many rings in some stages, although that is the only problem I see. I like stages that make it a chore to get to the flag base in CTF (being my favorite and best gametype), because if a flag is too easy to get, it turns into more of a match then a Capture the Flag game. Overall (not necessarily an average) I give this set an 8.0

Sunset Garden: This stage was somewhat…dull to race on. I understand that circuit maps should be short, but maybe making it a little longer and/or a bit more challenging would make this a fun map. I also noticed that there were only two item boxes in this stage that I could find. This presents a problem in normal races, because if there was a slower character, that person could get both boxes and easily win that category for the race. That same person could also get all the rings in this stage, winning two categories of the race. One suggestion though, put at lease two more springs next to the one yellow spring in the final segment of the map. Compared to the circuit maps in the normal game, this one compares quite nicely to them. 7.5

Mario Circuit 2: WOW…this circuit is…flat, boring, and…messed up…Where do I start? Okay, in my opinion, Mario Kart Maps are thok-fests. This map was one giant plain with a little hill halfway through. No item box was far out of the track, and there were no alternate paths, and no challenges whatsoever. 2.0

Circuit Map Summary: There are too few maps to make a summary

Would I use this pack in a netgame? Maybe...maybe not.

**Extra Note: All results are NON-Biased. I did not look at the author’s name while grading these, so I have no idea who made what.
***All Judgment to the maps has been made alone playing as SONIC. Nobody would come on my netgame anyway…I'll come back and edit them after I try them on JTE with bots
****I can't wait until the next contest, this was actually quite fun!

*EDIT WITH BOTS* (scores updated)
Map 01: Everything was alright, No problems here.
Map 02: I did some more exploring and I found some design errors: falls through stairs, platforms....also, some rings aren't deafed
Map 03: Everything was alright, but you've gotta take out the homing-rail combination...
Map 04: Please excuse my inaccurate report, this level is actually quite nice with 2 ring weapons, although the rail ring can easily be controlled.
Map 05: Everything is alright, no problems here
Map 06: Everything is alright, no problems at all...(except I lost....)
Map 07: Everything is alright here.
Map 08: the battle was at the beach the entire time...
Map 09: everything that I said above = everything is alright
...and because JTE's bots are useless in race and CTF...I'll have to finish this some other time.

MAP01 - Shortcake Mountain Zone by SRB2-Playah - 5/10
Really large, a ton of area, and none of it is all that particularly interesting. Not horrible either, though.

MAP02 - DK64-Battle Zone by Mariosonic - 2/10
I don't think you grasp the basic mechanics of making a stage in Doom.

MAP03 - Glaber Base 3 Zone by Glaber - 1/10
Ick. At least it works, unlike some awful maps we've received. Do your homework. Tiny corridors is a big no-no in SRB2.

MAP04 - Desert in the Sky by 1-Up - 3/10
Yuck. Gigantic, open, and a rail I still haven't figured out how to acquire as Sonic. The winning strategy appears to be flying around as Tails sniping people with the only Rail in the map.

MAP05 - Winter Forest Zone by Lloyd ???? [zen_the_hedgehog@yahoo.com] - 5/10
Highly detailed and a ton of stuff here, but you really need less random monitors. For what it's supposed to be, though, it's a highly competent job. Just needs some balance.

MAP06 - Ivory Square Zone by Digiku - 8/10
Looked like it would be awful, but I was pleasantly surprised. Rather fun sniping and being sniped in this stage.

MAP07 - Plughole by Oogaland - 7/10
I quite enjoyed this one as well. The namesake should honestly do something, and I found springing up to the outer edge kinda frustrating, but the level itself had plenty of room for entertaining fights. I never did get to hit someone into the plughole, but I sure tried ;_;

MAP08 - Central Control Zone by Neo Chaotikal - 5/10
Pretty. Otherwise, Homing is gay and really should be removed from SRB2. All it does is serve to make okay maps worse. Also, the treetops should really be a platform you can use.

MAP09 - Volcanic Cavern Zone by FuriousFox - 3/10
This map is so incredibly boring. There are several cool gimmicks in one of the most overly large, dull, boxes imaginable with nothing to break it up. Explosion is useless in such a large open area, so it just boils down to strafing constantly shooting over and over again.

MAP10 - Magma Cavern Zone by Flame the Hedgehog - 7/10
Wow, this was a lot of fun. The only problem I have with it is that there are too many rings easily accessible in the base, making it very hard to kill anyone in that area. Otherwise, it was a riot and a half.

MAP11 - Azure Frost Zone by JJames19119 - 8/10
Yes, there were a lot of pits, and yes, there were some issues, but I found this level to be a riot. Now partly this is because I was the guy launching the flag carrier into the pit with Auto-Rail, but it was awesome all the same.

MAP12 - Card Carnival Zone by JJames19119 - 7/10
I really liked the basic design here, but a few things really annoyed me. The damn invisible wall really irked me the most, though. Why not make it a big glass wall or something so you could at least see it. In terms of level design, though, absolutely neat.

MAP13 - Sunset Gardens Zone by Flame the Hedgehog - 5/10
Uh, that blind corner with the pit is stupid. Really stupid. Along with the springs over the pit, it totally ruins the map. Otherwise not too bad. Nothing special, but nothing awful either.

MAP14 - Mario Circuit 2 by Spazzo - 2/10
THOK THOK THOK THOK THOK THOK THOK THOK THOK THOK THOK...

VOTING START NAOW

Match

MAP01 - Shortcake Mountain Zone - SRB2-Playah - 6/10
Ergh, my computer could barely handle this level. It was truly framerate hell. The level is just so HUGE, it's easy to lost people here. Having said that though, it's very beautiful. There are some rewards that seem out of place and even unreachable by normal means. (Infinity ring in middle of nowhere?) The ring placement was superb, I loved how you used to bitsets to perfect ring arcs and such. Very pretty. It's good as a very large match map but the framerate leaves something to be desired.

MAP02 - DK64-Battle Zone - Mariosonic - 4/10
YUO NEED MOAR TEXTURE HALP. Seriously, many textures and flats were missing, making the level look like puke and very hard to traverse at times. And rings....RINGS! You...need...RINGS! Match maps do not work without them and you just bunched small amounts of rings in singular spots. NOT GOOD.

MAP03 - Glaber Base 3 Zone - Glaber - 4/10
Can you say cramped? The moniter and weapon displays were a nice touch but jeez, triple this map's size! It's like trying to work your way through an ant maze.

MAP04 - Desert in the Sky - 1-Up - 5/10
Another map that makes software mode cry in pain it seems. To make things worse, the general level design seems rushed. It's large and somewhat empty, the oasis is hard to get out of at first and leaves you very open, and there aren't too many redeeming qualities sadly. It's average at best.

MAP05 - Winter Forest Zone - Lloyd - 4/10
You do know that rings are NEEDED in a Match map, right? I could hardly find any at all. The moniters had nice placements and the map had a very deep "outdoorsy" feel to it but otherwise, it's not really suited for match.

MAP06 - Ivory Square Zone - Digiku - 9/10
Now this is more like it. This map was open, had great item placement, and looked very pretty. It reminded me of a super special awesome version of Starlit Warehouse, which was a great map already to begin with. :) The displays on the buildings were very awesome, and the ring placement was just about perfect. Hardly much wrong with this map, I would love to see this map replace Starlit Warehouse. Or maybe a nighttime version of this map. :D

MAP07 - Plughole - Oogaland - 8/10
Water in the hole! This map seemed a tad cramped but not too badly thankfully. Many paths and good ring placement, yay. The outside area seemed a tad high though, made it a bit annoying in match. The plughole needs to be a bit more obvious that it's a deadly weapon too. Maybe RED textures? :P

MAP08 - Central Control Zone - Neo Chaotikal - 6/10
Mystic is right, homing is gay. It was nice at first but now, I really hate it. It's annoying, makes people look like sissies and ugh. Other than that, it's quite cramped in some areas, and this level would've been ten times better if you expanded it on top of the tree tops. It especially confused me when I found out I couldn't get on top of them.

MAP09 - Volcanic Cavern Zone - FuriousFox - 5/10
It's so flat and boring and yet, dangerous all at the same time. A lot more platforms could've sufficed here. The lava pits at the outer ring reminds me of Slime Valley and how annoying that slime was sometimes. Bomb of course, hardly helps here at all. It's really just a flat match with lots of thok abuse going on. Very boring.

Capture the Flag

MAP10 - Magma Cavern Zone - Flame the Hedgehog - 6/10
The paths seemed a bit cramped and very straightforward, though at least there were a few. The crumbling platforms were a pleasent yet annoying surprise cause I fell into lava upon stepping in one. :( The bases were also a bit confusing and cramped but otherwise, alright. Not a bad map if I must say so, one of your better ones Flame.

MAP11 - Azure Frost Zone - JJames19119 - N/A
"Yes, there were a lot of pits, and yes, there were some issues, but I found this level to be a riot. Now partly this is because I was the guy launching the flag carrier into the pit with Auto-Rail, but it was awesome all the same." < Quoted for truth. I knew it was abusive but I couldn't let the level go without that auto rail combo on the higher temple in the map. One of my greatest joys was sniping people with Auto-rail. Oh, and I like the looks too. =P

MAP12 - Card Carnival Zone - JJames19119 - N/A
I was trying to create a casino level at first when making this board. I quickly realized this wasn't possible so taking Sonic 3 into account, I went for the next best thing...
It's not perfect but I feel I captured that carnival feeling very well, at least Sonic wise. I hate how cramped the bouncy area can be, I need to fix that.

Circuit

MAP13 - Sunset Gardens Zone - Flame the Hedgehog - 4/10
Uhm, nice try trying to folow up Morning Hill? Really though, it has just about all the flaws Morning Hill had and then some. Pits + Blind turn = NO. It was rather cramped (I'm obsessed with open spaces by now) and a few things just didn't sit right with me. The colormap makes Software look even more crap by the way.

MAP14 - Mario Circuit 2 - Spazzo - 4/10
Gimme a T! Gimme an H! Gimme an O! Gimme a K! Gimme a BREAK! Seriously, Tails and Knuckles plays need not apply. It's all thok action here. Besides that, it's very drab and boring. VERY. Not too much variety. I didn't hate this level too much but then again, this is coming from a guy who sorta likes Sonic Circuit...

VOTING EDN NAOW

I guess i'm going to pull a Digiku here, and just review the maps and give you guys an estimate on what I would rate it on. I, sadly, am probably not going to have much time this week to actually netgame on these maps, hence it's only an estimate. Please, look at the marks, but do not total them up with the others. These grades do not count for anything in this contest, unless I edit it prior to its end.

MAP01 - Shortcake Mountain Zone by SRB2-Playah - 7/10
This map sure beats what else i've seen as opening maps in contests. It's open-ended concept turned out for the better here, although some areas I can assume would not be used as much as the others. The infinity placement was crap, however.

MAP02 - DK64-Battle Zone by Mariosonic - 2/10
Quite cramped, and the textures scream seizures. Nobody should have to use REDWALL in a map as an actual texture, unless vital.

You phail level design 101, i'm afraid. Whats with the item boxes and weapon rings in unreachable areas anyways?

MAP04 - Desert in the Sky by 1-Up - 3/10
Alright, this map is rather...ehh....quirky. The "desert towers" are a bit too tall, and the random vertical thin-as-paper FOF just didn't work at all.

MAP05 - Winter Forest Zone by Lloyd - 6/10
This map works in some areas, fails in the rest. While I like how you made some effort to actually show fallen snow, making all of the top textures on the trees snow wasn't all that pretty. I also don't approve of the shoddy little room area, with the ring and flame shield in the...fireplace?

MAP06 - Ivory Square Zone by Digiku - 7/10
Yay, Digiku!
Well, this map is surely a change from what i've seen you wad before, not that that is a bad thing. Some of it was done rather nicely, like the whole "center of town" feeling it gave off to me. Although, when you first look at it, you're more than likely to try to go into the rooms, as the door texture is hard to see from afar. Overall, not that bad a sight.

MAP07 - Plughole by Oogaland - 10/10
Alright, this map wins purely for originality, creativity, and for having a main idea behind it. I absolutely love the idea to shoot them into the hole to score points and for them to lose them. You could enlargen the hole a tad, personally, but that didn't drag from the score. I wouldn't, personally, mind seeing this map in 1.1, actually.

MAP08 - Central Control Zone by Neo Chaotikal - 6/10
Let's start off with the basic problem: Whats with all that non-reachable area? You could of just as easily block it off a different way, instead of the annoyance of an invisible wall. Other than that, its rather crouded in my opinion, but it had some nice scenery.

MAP09 - Volcanic Cavern Zone by FuriousFox - 3/10
ugh. You really could of made this shine, but the flaws in it brought it down. Its basically an oversized room with pathways along the outside. While I did enjoy the whole Red Volcano feeling, it wasn't enough to drag from the fact that this map is boring. Give it a cool gimmick, or something.

Spazzo said:
You phail level design 101, i'm afraid. Whats with the item boxes and weapon rings in unreachable areas anyways?
They're in display cases for decoration. It was the only way to have them all in without the world of pain.

I'm not quite as disappointed as some with the quality of these entries -- we may have regressed recently, but we had worse in the early days; maybe we're still at the teething stage for the next generation of mappers. Anyway, here goes:

Match

MAP01 - Shortcake Mountain Zone - 6
A little big, but otherwise okay. I think there was also too much separation between the sections at different heights. Maybe yellow springs would've been better?

MAP02 - DK64-Battle Zone - 1
Glitchy; too small; too few rings.

MAP03 - Glaber Base 3 Zone - 2
Narrow corridors don't work. Also, there are too many weapon rings. Showing some promise though -- just need a bit of practice with scale.

MAP04 - Desert in the Sky - 4
The biggest problem here was navigation between different sections. Getting from the top of one area to the top of another took too long. Also, I didn't quite understand the teleporters at the corners of the quicksand -- you couldn't see them, for one thing.

MAP05 - Winter Forest Zone - 5
Too flat, but otherwise not too bad. Needed more rings, I think, and the house was a bit awkward to get in and out of.

MAP06 - Ivory Square Zone - 7
This one played pretty well. Maybe a little too orthogonal, but I suppose that fits with the theme.

MAP07 - Plughole by Oogaland - n/a
I think I'd've been better to have used auto rings instead of bombs, on reflection. I should've done more with the edge areas, too.

MAP08 - Central Control Zone - 6
Apart from the homing rings, this was quite fun to play on. I felt that the layout was a bit restrictive, though: moving from one area to another required passing through one corridor; there was no variation possible.

MAP09 - Volcanic Cavern Zone - 5
I've never been fond of hazardous terrains in match. Also a little bland, but playable.

Capture the Flag

MAP10 - Magma Cavern Zone - 8
I enjoyed this one. The bases could use a bit of work, as has been noted elsewhere, and perhaps greater incentive should be given to take some of the lesser-used paths, but otherwise, great work. The middle area felt perfect.

MAP11 - Azure Frost Zone - 7
Not being the most agile of players, I found this one difficult -- maybe the pits could've been toned down slightly? Nice variation in height, though. Also, I thought that there maybe could've been another route between halves of the map.

MAP12 - Card Carnival Zone - 7
It took me a while to work out the pinball bit, but otherwise, good stuff here. Also I felt the ascent to the bases was a bit precipitous.

Circuit

MAP13 - Sunset Gardens Zone - 6
I remember testing this a long time ago. The first half is the better, I think: the tunnel is still a little confusing. Also, I think it would be helpful to have a longer run-up to the area with the pits, rather than having appear immediately following a corner. Still quite fun, though; nearly a 7, but not quite.

MAP14 - Mario Circuit 2 - 1
Needs obstacles; has graphical glitches; indiscernible instant death sectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back