• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Kart Krew™'s exe mods

Christ, that looks like a giant bowl of "what the fuck is going on"

This is just nothing but disorientating to watch.

You've been saying this for ages now but there's nothing we can really do about the software renderer, unless you mean the unimplemented shadows of course. We're sort of tired of your bullshit attitude at things we can't fix, and your generalizations of everything when it's quite easy to understand what's going on and play, even to new people we've just handed it to off the bat.

If those aren't the reasons you find it disorienting, get off of your ass and give actual reasons or constructive criticism rather than summing everything up into "optical illusions"; because quite frankly, it's bothersome. You're shit posting at this point.

This is looking less like Spiral Knights and more like Super Mario 3D World.

Which is not a bad thing.

I spy custom textures, and they're well-used. Will an asset pack be released when this is finished?

It's time to get back to work, gentlemen:

srb20008.gif

srb20009.gif

srb20010.gif

This is beautiful. Keep up this awesome work :D

Looking forward to a demo soon :D

The only real issue I'm seeing is that Software's skewing becomes incredibly noticeable at the camera angle you guys are using. While I get that the skewing itself is unfixable aside from switching renderers, maybe the camera could be brought down a little to alleviate some of that a bit?

I do have to say, though, that some of those textures are probably a bit small for the camera distances, and are creating a pretty bad moire-ish effect. It probably isn't as bad in-game, but it's something you guys might wanna keep in mind.

(I presume shadows are going back in? Would it be worth it to add shadows to more than just the players? Enemies in particular seem like they'd be easier to hit if they had shadows marking their locations.)

Yup, jump-thok was added to give Sonic a slightly better match-up to the rest of the cast.

The only real issue I'm seeing is that Software's skewing becomes incredibly noticeable at the camera angle you guys are using. While I get that the skewing itself is unfixable aside from switching renderers, maybe the camera could be brought down a little to alleviate some of that a bit?

I dunno how to feel about this, since it'd change the gameplay a lot, especially for multiplayer. It's been on the drawing board as for whether this should just be done though.

I do have to say, though, that some of those textures are probably a bit small for the camera distances, and are creating a pretty bad moire-ish effect. It probably isn't as bad in-game, but it's something you guys might wanna keep in mind.
True, but do remember movie mode has a huge effect on resolution, setting it to the smallest possible, we just recommend much higher ones.

(I presume shadows are going back in? Would it be worth it to add shadows to more than just the players? Enemies in particular seem like they'd be easier to hit if they had shadows marking their locations.)
They're just not re-implemented yet yeah. Shadows for enemies have been a planned thing.

Last edited:
Do me and many others a huge favor and replace the gifs in my post with "Gif" if you're going to quote it, those things lag.

It's not as bad in-game, but if you can tell me which texture sticks out specifically, I can try to find something that can replace it. (Or just enlarge it altogether with 2.1's super texture capabilities)

The LITE flats and THZWAL06 are the biggest offenders in the screenshots, although the special stage texture doesn't look so great either. (For more reasons than looking weird from afar, actually.) Like I said, it probably looks fine at in-game resolutions, but just something to keep in mind. (Those cases really aren't an issue if it looks fine at 640x400, so meh. I will say that THZWAL06 doesn't look great how it's being used anyway, but I have a terrible eye for texturing things well so take my opinion with a grain of salt.)

With that said, I'm also noticing now that the camera just snaps after one of the players falls out of the view. You guys are gonna smooth that out, right? :v

I dunno how to feel about this, since it'd change the gameplay a lot, especially for multiplayer. It's been on the drawing board as for whether this should just be done though.

Pulling it down too much would definitely be a problem for platforming, yeah. If it's too much of a sacrifice then I'd rather have the visibility, but maybe pulling it down about 20% of what it is now wouldn't affect gameplay too much? Right now it's right on the edge of the skewing looking weird, and just a tad of reining in would probably help quite a bit.

If nothing else, cam_height will still be an option to allow us to set it manually, riiiight?

Last edited:
The best part about the porting process is fucking around pointlessly
ibzAxrQWKrLkRQ.gif

For some reason I thought that Sonic would not be able to transform into Super.
Great work guys. I'm looking forward for more updates of this awesome mod.

...i hope to see this in the releases forum soon :3

For some reason I thought that Sonic would not be able to transform into Super.

We have no plans to include super-forms in Top Down, mostly because of multiplayer issues and it being totally unnecessary. This, like the portal and hat gifs, just show that 2.1 lua will make TD all the more entertaining. :V

I spy custom textures

A current rule the team has is to have absolutely no vanilla textures, yeah. The only actual maps not doing this are Frozen Factory, to a minimum, and Weather Factory.

With that said, I'm also noticing now that the camera just snaps after one of the players falls out of the view. You guys are gonna smooth that out, right? :v

Most of the shakiness was just fixed yesterday when Sryder gave the camera separate speeds for horizontal and vertical tracking so we could hard-code them to slower things, it's now extremely smooth in multiplayer. Mostly!

If nothing else, cam_height will still be an option to allow us to set it manually, riiiight?

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back