Unofficial v2.2 Discussion Thread

It does kinda make me wonder though if they'll ever think of adding additional characters to the roster. Like I'm sure the likes of Amy, Cream and Shadow have been tossed around before but I was thinking with the upcoming Sonic Mania Plus expansion would Mighty and Ray ever be a possibility sometime in the future.

I mean I'm sure with how 2.2 is already shaping up to be I don't think that'd be a full on thing but 2.3 maybe?

More characters, Yuck, I never understood the appeal to those, I think SRB2 offers enough variety when it comes to different character playstyles, Shadow and Amy are basically black and pink Sonic's, Cream is Tails, unnecessary, like glaber said there's already custom characters for those of you who wish to play as different characters, I'm against the idea of bringing Modern era characters to SRB2.

Kind of an overreaction there. There's nothing wrong with more characters for more ways to play the game, as long as they're fun. But as said, those characters are available through mods so adding them officially would be kind of pointless. Not to mention it'd probably increase the time spent on balancing, both SP and MP, by a shit ton.

I meant Mighty and Ray more than Shadow and Amy. The latter I think are better off as mods with how the main game is built around characters already established in a classic styled Sonic game.

I'm mostly saying Mighty and Ray because of Sonic Mania Plus, though then again I think it's probably too quick to rush to that conclusion. And I guess with what reaction towards my post I suppose mods are the preferable way to go for more characters.

I mean if 2.2 gets released this year someone's going to do a Mania styled Mighty and Ray anyway as a mod or even for 2.1 if 2.2 is still far off.

One of the most common recurring trends in SRB2 is that everyone always wants features from the most recent Sonic game, without fail. Then someone makes a mod trying to implement that official Sonic game in SRB2 to generally mediocre results. Then the next Sonic game comes out and those requests are completely forgotten.

Yes, this includes hilariously awful Sonic games like 2K6. It might be horrifying in hindsight, but even 2K6 had vocal fans here at the time who desperately wanted Silver in vanilla.

Ahh welp I now know what to keep my mouth shut on. Anyway I'm curious if the slopes open up level design where if you jump at the right time you'll get massive air to maybe go onto a hidden area?

Ahh welp I now know what to keep my mouth shut on. Anyway I'm curious if the slopes open up level design where if you jump at the right time you'll get massive air to maybe go onto a hidden area?

You have the right idea. There are already some maps with slopes included for 2.1. Biggest names I can think of are SUGOI and the sequel so check that out if you're interested.

One of the most common recurring trends in SRB2 is that everyone always wants features from the most recent Sonic game, without fail. Then someone makes a mod trying to implement that official Sonic game in SRB2 to generally mediocre results. Then the next Sonic game comes out and those requests are completely forgotten.

Yes, this includes hilariously awful Sonic games like 2K6. It might be horrifying in hindsight, but even 2K6 had vocal fans here at the time who desperately wanted Silver in vanilla.

At least this time a recent sonic game is more like the Genesis Classics. (Mania)

toaster intentionally posted some 2.2 pictures on the SRB2 Discord this weekend, and Nev3r snuck some on there, too, before deleting them after two seconds:

CVwFYPz.png

An image taken right before the tunnel in GFZ1 showcasing what looks like a new debug display.
OuuhdEm.png

Just look at those lives...
jXVqF7L.png

Probably an image of ACZ2. Posted twice with the word "Bomb", each for a few seconds before getting deleted.
8qFi1Y8.png

Who knows what this could be?

Last edited:
That third one, that looks like AC1. At the top-right, I'd recognize the layout of those hanging conveyer things anywhere. I wonder how much the level's been changed?

It was a game design decision to allow Tails to carry you underwater. Doing the 'handlebar' trick would be a total pain in 3D.

Yeah, I can understand that. No homing feature and 3-axis directional input isn't feasible for anything other than TAS. I could see that sliding for animation purposes too, since custom sprites for a feature that would be underutilized to such a severe degree (multiplayer, underwater sections that would hint towards swimming Sonic through) that the effort would be more than it's worth.

If you're going to continue to publically share around what're supposed to be temporary little previews for those paying attention, you could at least get the capitalisation of my handle right.

Toaster intentionally posted some 2.2 pictures on the SRB2 Discord this weekend, and Nev3r snuck some on there, too, before deleting them after two seconds:

CVwFYPz.png

An image taken right before the tunnel in GFZ1 showcasing what looks like a new debug display.

Just look at those lives...

Probably an image of ACZ2. Posted twice with the word "Bomb", each for a few seconds before getting deleted.
Who knows what this could be?
HOLY CRAP HELL YES...
...THE HOUSE(s) ARE STILL THERE! :D

If you're going to continue to publically share around what're supposed to be temporary little previews for those paying attention, you could at least get the capitalisation of my handle right.
Done. (If I get what you mean)

And I'm just gonna say, if you don't want me posting these things anymore and instead keep everything on Discord, I'd be fine with that.

Wow. It's still so amazing to see how far SRB2 has come even though I only started with 1.09.4a. Can't wait to see what comes out of 2.2 whenever it's released.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back