Loop the Loops, TAMPS, Bobsleds, and Mid Air Zip Loops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you think it’s horrible because I'm looking at it diagonally!!! It looks almost perfectly miniagraphically round when viewed from the side!

Also Draykon, srb2 was started with what makes everything possible on the virtual scale, programming! You can program anything on a computer! So don't go telling me what I can or can't do! I didn't ask for criticism, I asked for help with my idea!

Note: And before all of you out there reading this thinking its turning into a flame war, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but you are wrong just like all those teachers who have tried to teach me things that I know even more about than the do themselves.

Edit: Sheesh I really needed that to cool my nerves off.

"Anything can exist in a virtual world" applies with certain conditions.
1. The programmer must be skilled enough to add it. Which in the case of the Legacy engine, would take ALOT of skill.
2. It must be actually programmed. Level WADs are really more of scripting.

Or, If you want a different explanation: You're wrong. The rules of a virtual realm cannot contradict. If SRB2 wasn't built with loops in mind, you can't have loops. Simple as that.

EMPEROR METALLIX said:
Well you think it’s horrible because I'm looking at it diagonally!!! It looks almost perfectly miniagraphically round when viewed from the side!

Amazing. Did you ever take into consideration that anything in a three-dimensionsional game should look good at any given angle?

EMPEROR METALLIX said:
Also Draykon, srb2 was started with what makes everything possible on the virtual scale, programming! You can program anything on a computer!

If it's so easy, you go do it, then.
Here, I'll outline the very basics of it for you.
First, you'll need to write the physics code. This includes much in the way of major math skills.
Second, you'll have to write rendering code. Make the flats apply through the whole loop perfectly.
Third, you'll need to draw up every single sprite rotation for a proper loop.
Finally, you'll need to write up some code for making it possible to create in level editors.

Now, sound as easy as "program it"? I thought not.

EMPEROR METALLIX said:
So don't go telling me what I can or can't do! I didn't ask for criticism, I asked for help with my idea!

Criticism is the foundation of any good project.

EMPEROR METALLIX said:
Note: And before all of you out there reading this thinking its turning into a flame war, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but you are wrong just like all those teachers who have tried to teach me things that I know even more about than the do themselves.

Edit: Sheesh I really needed that to cool my nerves off.

What the hell?

Do not try to make fake loops. There is absolutely no way to make it work right without hindering gameplay and looking awful.

Well here are the physics, but I have no idea how to make srb2 read them.

(total energy) = (kinetic energy) + (gravitational potential energy) = (constant)

where

(kinetic energy) = (1/2) m v²
(gravitational potential energy) = m g h

where m is a characters mass, v is it's velocity, g is the gravitational constant, and h is how high the character is.

To move in a circle, the body must feel a normal force of exactly:

(normal force) = m v² / R

where R is the radius of the circle. Said character will fall when the normal component of the force of gravity is greater than this force.

There are the basic physics of loop running characters, now I just need the physics of the loop itself.

Meh, I'm thinking more along the lines of:
The player runs into the loop, a speed-based linedef executer triggers at a point in the loop, putting the player into a state which uses "running up wall" sprites, and moves them upward. Once they hit the top, they resume normal running states, and begin running in negative gravity, the "running up the wall" part is repeated, but in negative gravity, causing them to run down, with the sprites flipped. Finally the player hits a normal running sector.

That's how loops COULD work, if we had "running up the wall" sprites, speed-based linedef executers, and negative gravity.

You don't, they don't exist, the support for them doesn't exist, and loops simply AREN'T IN SRB2.

I really don't know how to make it any clearer than that.

Unless you're about to go learn linear algebra so you can code slopes into SRB2, don't even bother. The math we're talking about to add slopes and loops into SRB2 is high-end college math. Not to mention that SRB2's coding doesn't use a vector to determine trajectory, which would make any sort of loop physics REALLY hard to code. SRB2 is not Sonic Adventure, and scripted loops suck ass. We don't need Sonic 3D Blast loops, thanks, add REAL gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back