• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Question about FOFs, Things and OBJECTPLACE

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJames19119

Why did they remove Grey
Is there anyway to place Things on FOFs without using OBJECTPLACE? I find it very unreliable, time consuming, and pretty messy. I heard there was a way on a441's tutorial but he never explained it. Any anwsers?

Not that I know of. It's a limitation of the wad editors themselves since the vast majority of them weren't built with Legacy in mind, which is what SRB2 is obviously based off of. So the problem lies in the editors, not SRB2, so there really isn't much we can do about it. Sorry =/

Yes. You really just DO it, then toss in newthings.lmp into the WAD where the THINGS lump was.

The other way is to take the height of the object in question over the ground (so if you want it to be at 512 over a sector with a floor of 256, it'd be 256), multiply by 16, add 7, and put that into the Flags section in DoomBuilder OR convert to hex and put into the raw data in WadAuthor. If you want to have deaf rings, add 32 to your value before you multiply. It's not that hard when you've done it enough times, but otherwise, yeah, it's cumbersome.

Depending on which editor you use, (My SRB2 favorite is Wadauthor) you may be able to enter raw data for objects. If you can, and I'm not sure if it works with any other editor, just mess with the bitset options. If you can't figure it out, bitsets use hexidecimal, which is easy enough to learn. Just tweak around with it and you'll figure it out.

Or, alternatively, with objectplace, turn on the snap to grid feature, with makes it much easier to match up the items for easier 2D editing.

OBJECTPLACE and LumpMod are ungodly painful to use, so if I were you I would stick to trying to edit the raw data of your objects in WadAuthor. But hey, that's just me, and as anyone else could tell you, I usually have one hell of a unique opinion on things =P

As I just said, DoomBuilder does it too. Easier, even, since you can just toss it in in Base 10 and it'll work fine; no hex or any nasty stuff.

Shadow Hog said:
The other way is to take the height of the object in question over the ground (so if you want it to be at 512 over a sector with a floor of 256, it'd be 256), multiply by 16, add 7, and put that into the Flags section in DoomBuilder

Ah, yes, I saw that when I edited an OBJECTPLACE'd WAD in Doom Builder, I never got what it meant though, well now I know. This way is FAR easier than OBJECTPLACE in my opinion, thanks!

Just so you know, there are limitations to both. You can't go above 4095 units above the ground with bitsets or objectplace, and if you're using a Player Start or Eggman, you need to multiply by 32 instead of 16, and the maximim is 2047 units above the ground.

But yeah, I agree, bitsets are great.

How do you get to save things placed in objectplace? *reads FAQ*

WRITETHINGS

Sorry to bump but I tried the Doom Builder bitsets technique and it didn't work this one time. X_x What I thought was that you added 7 because that was the flags value for EASY/MEDIUM/HARD and 32 was the flags value for EASY/MEDIUM/HARD/DEAF but I guess I'm wrong. x_x What if I want to insert Easy, Meduim and Hard flags only for stuff like Single Player maps?

7 for Easy/Medium/Hard. You add 512 to the final value if you want to simulate a "deaf" effect. Do NOT toggle the Deaf flag, since that will place your rings EXACTLY 32 units above the ground, meaning they won't be where you want them.

It's addition:

Easy = +1
Normal = +2
Hard = +4
Deaf = +8
Multi = +16 (+10 hex)

Basically, the objects that use the multi flag use a bitshift of 5, multiplying by 32. The rest of objects only use up to Deaf, for a bitshift of 4, multiplying by 16.

Basically, what you're doing by multiplying is moving the digits over one place in hexadecimal place value. The 7 is just the addition of Easy, Normal, and Hard. If you need something to be Deaf as well, it's 15, or F in hex.

Note that in 1.08, giving Rings the Deaf flag will put them 32 units above the ground no matter what the bitset is. In 1.09 this is fixed to add 32 to whatever is already there, making the maximum height for rings in 1.09 up to 4127. To simulate the effect in 1.08, just remember to add 32 to your height, to put it over the FOF instead of on it.

Mystic said:
It's addition:

Easy = +1
Normal = +2
Hard = +4
Deaf = +8
Multi = +16 (+10 hex)

Basically, the objects that use the multi flag use a bitshift of 5, multiplying by 32. The rest of objects only use up to Deaf, for a bitshift of 4, multiplying by 16.

Basically, what you're doing by multiplying is moving the digits over one place in hexadecimal place value. The 7 is just the addition of Easy, Normal, and Hard. If you need something to be Deaf as well, it's 15, or F in hex.

That's exactly what I did, but instead of even placing it in the air (Or on an FOF in the case I'm working at) it puts it in the usual place on the ground ignoring what I put in the flags field. :| I'm trying to put a moniter on an FOF for those who are wondering.

If you alter the flags it probably resets the bitset. WadAuthor takes out bitset data whenever a thing is modified in any way other than moving it, so I wouldn't be surprised if DoomBuilder does the same. The best way to do it is to just add the number 7 to the total.

That doesn't even work... x_x Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I take the height of the floor below the FOF, take the height of the ceiling in the FOF's control sector, subtract the ceiling value with the floor height, multiply that by 16, add the respective flag value to it....comes out the same. :\ *Runs a few more tests*

Set the height FROM the floor, not from 0. So, if you want a thing in 1312 with the floor set on 1024, put 288.

That's what I do, here's how I do it:

1512 (The height of the top of the FOF) - 872 (THe height of the actual floor the FOF target sector is) * 16 + 1 = 10, 241....which does nothing but put the Moniter on the ground as if I never messed with the bitsets. X_x

Ah, nevermind, I think I got it now:

Moniters naturally fall down to the earth if they're placed in the air, right? Well, maybe I was placing the moniter too low, it was being placed INSIDE the FOF, the game corrected it by placing it directly under the FOF where the moniter fell back down to the ground. Hmm... *Tries placing it above*

EDIT: Works! :mrgreen: Falls from the air straight above the FOF and onto the FOF itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back