Why Do People Want SRB2 Ports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBreada

Also known as David G.
As much as I like Sonic Robo Blast 2, it seems redundant to port it to other consoles.

I am going to assume that the reason people want to play Sonic Robo Blast 2 on other consoles is because they want to play it with a controller, am I right?

Instead of going through so much work to port it, why not use a controller and plug that into the PC?

Ports that are useful however, can be Mac and Linux ports, for those who have a "computer" but can't play SRB2.

NOTE: I'm not saying I dislike ports at all, but it seems like too much of an effort and may take away from the development time of newer SRB2 versions for the PC.

Additional use cases:

• Playing on the TV, for local multiplayer especially
  • Having multiple instances of SRB2 running in a single household
  • Playing using device-specific features(WiiU gamepad, touchscreens, stereoscopy)
  • Some people have a computer that is less powerful than their console
  • Playing from a mobile device
  • Developing ports for underpowered systems leads to performance improvements in the main game; the DS port was especially successful at this.

I'm actually hoping for an android port once the SDL2 work is finished; I don't have a tablet yet, but being able to play SRB2 on the bus once I do would be pretty sweet.

Last edited:
why

Because people want SRB2 more...portable I guess. Or either want to see SRB2 on something different, because. RESEARCH!

RE: Prime 2.0

[*]Playing on the TV, for local multiplayer especially

Your other 2 reasons are good; I have no way to counter that. However, for THIS reason, I already have an HDMI port, so my laptop can hook up to a TV.
I'm actually hoping for an android port once the SDL2 work is finished; I don't have a tablet yet, but being able to play SRB2 on the bus once I do would be pretty sweet.

I think an iPad port would be more useful, since there are controllers for that.
But an android port's a good idea, too!

I think an iPad port would be more useful, since there are controllers for that.

Unless the application was jailbreak-only, this would require a developer's license(which costs money!) in order to be published and might also face some legal action from SEGA potentially(though I don't really know.) Would be nice, but unlikely :(

Sega should just start advertising the game to people. I mean, Capcom did it with Street fighter X Megaman and now look at where they--okay, bad example.

Sega should just start advertising the game to people.

I doubt that Capcom 2.0 (Sega) would want to support this game.

Sega would be jealous that Sonic Robo Blast 2 is better than some actual Sonic games.

I think it's desired simply due to novelty.

95%+ of SRB2 players are probably on Windows.

Some guys have other things like a Mac, a PSP, Linux or even an Android, though it isn't there.
They could bring any of these devices on vacations, sleepovers, camping and so on. Ports are perfect for that.

I got my Fire TV running SRB2PSP 2.0.6 in PPSSPP 1.9.8 with some instability issues.
The framerate is too fast and smooth which causes a lag spike every few seconds.
Even so,it shows 35fps on PPSSPP's counter while it runs at more than 60fps in-game.
The SRB2 fps counter is broken with 1/35 fps.

I managed to get it running a bit smoother by changing PPSSPP's clock speed to 180.

I quickly made it to Deep Sea Zone and notice the mentioned lagging issue.

I really want an Android port of SRB2 so I can play it at the proper speed.
It already exists and runs decently,and a YouTuber named Cybocat showcased it running.

I also noticed the Android git of SRB2 2.1 on this page...

https://github.com/STJr/SRB2

Why is there no build of it yet?

PPSSPP's fps counter can hit up to 40fps in-game with SRB2PSP on my Fire TV but with occasional lag spikes.

Will someone tech savvy please build the Android version and post it anywhere?

There's no Android port ready at the moment. There's one in development, but it won't be playable until at least after the main game is ported over to SDL2, if at all.

I underwent the challenging task of beating Act 1 of Deep Sea Zone in the low path as Sonic with lags fo'days and when Act 2 tries to load,the game crashes into the PPSSPP menu. :(

But I did manage to get the lag spike to go away though.

I will try the SDL2 version on my low specs Single-Core Win7 64bit PC later "today" just to see what results it gets.

Sorry for double posting,please don't infract me.

HOW DOES IT RUN THIS FAST!!! O_O
X__X

After disabling shadows and corona plus enabling Draw Limit,I set the resolution of SRB2PSP's cfg file to 1920 x 1080 and 32bits and I maxed out "PPSSPP Android's" settings with buffered rendering for 5x PSP resolution with XBRZ and 16x Anisotropy with 3X texture resolution and started SRB2PSP.
I now see high quality and wait...this is somehow faster now in a much more demanding resolution in both the emu and in-game.

It makes absolutely no sense how this runs so unhindered with insane settings!
Maybe it has something to do with it being in my Fire TV's native resolution.

Deep Sea Act 2 probably still causes crashing into the menu.

Why has the PSP port not been updated since 2.0.6?
Does someone have a later version anywhere?

Why has the PSP port not been updated since 2.0.6?
Does someone have a later version anywhere?

I asked that before ...
Performance - that is the reason why they dont want to port new version to PSP :(

But I actually dont care much about performance on PSP ...

I consider using a CRT television to be an advantage when using a console port because you get a much more organic and vibrant picture than you would otherwise. I'm not a fan of the sharp Baroque still divides between light and dark that you get on an LCD monitor (and some CRT monitors).

We have quite a few people in the community who are Linux and Mac enthusiasts as well. The Mac version actually performs better for me (despite lack of fullscreen support currently...) so I'll use my Mac for testing levels, while map editing I'll perform on a PC.

The same reason there's ports of Doom for everything with a screen and a processor. It's neat, and just the fact that it's possible to do, due to the GPL'd source code.

Im guessing it would make a brand new experience but im not really supporting the idea though because it doesn't really seem like a good idea. Besides, if you want to play it on a tv; just get an HDMI cable, hope your pc has a port for it, plug it in to your tv (hope it has one to) then set the input to the port u plugged it in then your technically playing srb2 on a tv. If your PC and/or tv doesn't have an HDMI port, Tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back