I can't install things anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been happening to me allot lately.
ohnoes2nc8.png

(I am still on XP, I just got a cool vista theme >.>)

I'm not sure, but I think it might be because I installed some anti-virus software recently (AVG free edition). Every time I turn on my computer it, it updates, but when my virus software does it says "AVG software update has failed, try re-installing AVG free edition". And I can't even use an installer to begin with so... Help please?

Installing the cool Vista theme might have screwed up Windows Installer. I suggest you see a computer technition(SP?), because after all... not everyone is a computer expert.

Edit: I hate you, cueball. =(

That worked but didn't fix the problem.

I also tried downloading a windows installer update, but now I'm not too sure I want to install it:
untitledio1.png

I have nothing to back it up onto. >.>

Thats what I was thinking, considering it's just an installer it's updating. But it is in the Windows system folder, so that could be one reason.

When an installer says one of these things:

"Close all open programs before continuing."
"You must restart in order for changes to take effect."
"Back-up your files before continuing."

...it's almost always lying. I haven't ever come across a time where I needed to close a program unless it has explicitly told me a certain program needed to be shut down (which isn't too often), and the only time you ever need to restart the computer after an installation is if you've made a heavy hardware change. And you don't need to do any back-up before an installation of a Windows program now because of the System Restore feature in Windows XP.

"Back up your system" => "Don't sue us if your computer dies from this."

Then be more specific, like "you can't download from sites anymore" and not just "I can't" in general? Windows Installer is still an installer.

I can download just fine, windows installer just doesn't work. Did you look at the firs post? Theres a screen shot and everything.

Also I got another really annoying problem. Lets say I moved a file from one folder to another, if I try to move it again it does this:
stupidfreakingcomputerqu0.png

And then it corrupts the file. This stupid computers got issues -.-'.

FoxBlitzz said:
When an installer says one of these things:

"Close all open programs before continuing."
"You must restart in order for changes to take effect."
"Back-up your files before continuing."

...it's almost always lying. I haven't ever come across a time where I needed to close a program unless it has explicitly told me a certain program needed to be shut down (which isn't too often), and the only time you ever need to restart the computer after an installation is if you've made a heavy hardware change. And you don't need to do any back-up before an installation of a Windows program now because of the System Restore feature in Windows XP.

Same, I always ignore those things, unless it actually won't run until I restart...

Adobe CS3 Master Collection requires that Messenger, Firefox, etc aren't running before it installs...
So I just get to the install then load them up again.

sonicfreak94 said:
I can download just fine, windows installer just doesn't work. Did you look at the firs post? Theres a screen shot and everything.

Also I got another really annoying problem. Lets say I moved a file from one folder to another, if I try to move it again it does this:
stupidfreakingcomputerqu0.png

And then it corrupts the file. This stupid computers got issues -.-'.

I got a video now, the sound is off, it's a piece of crap video cause this computer can barely record anything, but it's a demonstration of that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back