SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Lua

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Modern Sonic Abilities 4.0 BIG UPDATE Details »»
Modern Sonic Abilities 4.0 BIG UPDATE
Version: 4.0, by MotdSpork (Mafia? Zombies? Gold spork?) MotdSpork is offline
Developer Last Online: May 2018

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (6 votes - 3.83 average)
Released: 04-19-2014 Last Update: 01-24-2015 Installs: 6
Scripts Re-Useable Content

Hello, This is my first post regarding a release. This is a wad containing lua scripting that gives SRB2 Sonic all of Modern Sonic's abilities.

Abilities:Boost(Custom 1)
Run on water (as long as boosting)
Lightdash(Custom 1)
Stomp(Spin)
DoubleJump/HomingAttack (ala Sonic Colors)
WallJump (doublejump at a wall)
Slide (replaces Spindash)
QuickStep (hold custom 3 + strafe)


There are two files inside. One with a character and the other with just the Lua.


Update 4.0

Added Quick Step
Added Boost Bar
New Boost sfx


Enjoy

Download Now

File Type: zip modernabilities.zip (762.8 KB, 11187 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20001.gif
Views:	5423
Size:	3.60 MB
ID:	4402   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20003.gif
Views:	2609
Size:	5.45 MB
ID:	4403   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20004.gif
Views:	5879
Size:	3.78 MB
ID:	4404   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20005.gif
Views:	2398
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	4405   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20014.gif
Views:	2962
Size:	5.95 MB
ID:	4537  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

  • The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 04-23-2014   #42
The Zero Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Iestyn View Post
To be quite frank, there's a merit in doing things the right way: people will be looking at your lua script in time to come.
What are you talking about? I can't map, I can't create Character Wads (I can't sprite at all), I have really 0% chance of my Lua scripting fu derps being put up somewhere, other than those 1 or 2 times people will actually use my pretty much useless codes for simple things for a few days before finding a better way to do it.
Oh, and also other than my unfinished Character Wad Tutorial rewrite thing I work on from time to time.

But if by "your" you mean people in general, and not specifically me, then okay, I understand.


Oh, and directed at Wolfy's post thing, my computer has an Intel Core i7. And don't take this statement seriously, I know what you mean.

Edit: Well, look at this nice Lua coding! It gives Sonic some of his moves from modern games! Let's all focus on that script, since this is the thread for it, right?
The Zero Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #43
TOGM95
What am I again?
 
TOGM95's Avatar
Default

Well, it looks there is no more bugs. Thanks for the fixing and it is a good lua script.
I give you a suggestion: On the light dash you could, instead of the falling animation when using, put the super sonic running animation with blue.
__________________
FNaF happened! (like 5 months!)

And remember:

IT'S ME. (or IT'S HIM whatev.)
TOGM95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #44
r543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGM95 View Post
Well, it looks there is no more bugs. Thanks for the fixing and it is a good lua script.
I give you a suggestion: On the light dash you could, instead of the falling animation when using, put the super sonic running animation with blue.
The other lightdash is already using that animation and falling is like in 1.0.94
r543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #45
"Lat'"
Stop it
 
"Lat'"'s Avatar
Default

Also I noticed that the double jump is a bit overpowered, it sends you too high :|You should reduce its 'propulsion' to the half of a normal jump.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronydude2k5 View Post
If you make me a Sash Lilac wad, I'll make you a sonic sprite hack of any choice.
"Lat'" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #46
D00D64
A "rather brash" indivisual
Judge
 
D00D64's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zero Team View Post
What are you talking about? I can't map, I can't create Character Wads (I can't sprite at all), I have really 0% chance of my Lua scripting fu derps being put up somewhere, other than those 1 or 2 times people will actually use my pretty much useless codes for simple things for a few days before finding a better way to do it.

Edit: Well, look at this nice Lua coding! It gives Sonic some of his moves from modern games! Let's all focus on that script, since this is the thread for it, right?
Don't use that as you excuse, when you write code, you don't just glue shit to the wall and hope it works, you TRY. You TRY your hardest to get it working as efficiently and effectively as possible. There's no bug-free guarantee but you can at least work at it. And it's great that you only now decide to go "Hey, this is a topic about the Lua code in the topic! Yeah, let's talk about that instead!" Why are you suddenly backing off? Why can't you accept responsibility? Why can't you admit you were wrong?

...But since you mentioned it, let's talk about this modern crap.

First off, pop quiz: When an ability isn't on the jump key, what's the first key you gravitate to? Nowadays, this is Custom 1. Question 2: What are you doing most of the time you're not running? Jumping. Part 3, what are you probably gonna use the MOST out of these abilities? The Double Jump, that's what! So Why the FUCK is it on Toss Flag!? Why is Lightdash on Custom 3? Why is the BOOST on Custom 1? Is it because of how broken it is?

Speaking of broken in a more literal sense, what is UP with this Double Jump? Nothing, under most circumstances. You tap it and you go up a fracunit and that's all she wrote. I know thrust code is wonky with player jumping, but then why does my own Double Jump work far better than yours does? There's not even a jump sound or something! When you give a player a double jump, that's probably the most common thing they're gonna do! It greatly extends horizontal jumping range in addition to going vertical, and it's usually just enough to climb on stuff, so if you're in the air, its what you're gonna do the most. You can't afford for it to just randomly not work, and be all the way onto wherever the player puts Toss Flag!

Second, the light dash. Or Lightdash or Light-dash or what have you. Why is it that you're STILL using the old version of the light dash code? You have to hold it the entire time you use it. Weather its on Custom 3 or Toss Flag, the "odd keys" as it were, it may not be in the most favorable position for most players, and as a result, can be uncomfortable or easy to let go. Just update it with the latest Lightdash code and it should be ok.

Third, the stomp. Christ, if you tap this, it sends you at a RIDICULOUS height. It's as bad as Cream's stomp used to be! This is probably the most broken of his abilities, and acts very little like it did in the Modern games you're trying to imitate. Why are you capable of skyrocketing? Why don't you just pierce enemies on the way down? With the boost, you can leap over giant chunks of the map!

And finally, the damn Boost. Why is this shit off of rings? Like, not even a bar, its DIRECTLY off of rings. With you losing a ring every second and gaining 5 rings in a row on any given level, you can use the boost almost the entire level. To put it in perspective, a single ring box gives you ten seconds of boost! That's ridiculous! It doesn't matter if you effectively lose all boost if you hit somebody if you're invincible to enemies! Well it stops being broken later on, if only because the game starts putting more cramped points to make it useless. Just nothing but scraping the sides of walls with my face.

So yeah, pretty clear I don't like it. At first, I thought this was all stolen code, but after comparing it to Greeneyes, everything seemed to check out. However, looking at it now, it's also really badly written. I know my own Greeneyes has its faults as a result of being the guinea pig, but man, This mod just doesn't feel good to play. It also doesn't help that this mod is at complete odds at how SRB2 handles normally, and as a result, SRB2's level design clashes with it a lot. Maybe if there were levels focused exclusively on these abilities, it would be able to shine, but as a standalone product, it just doesn't work well.
__________________
Quote:
<Nekoishi> HOW DO YOU JUST NOT NOTICE GIGANTIC BREASTS
<RedEnchilada> I remained ignorant to a set of titanic breasts for 17 years!

Last edited by D00D64; 04-23-2014 at 08:53 PM.
D00D64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #47
r543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D00D64 View Post
Don't use that as you excuse, when you write code, you don't just glue shit to the wall and hope it works, you TRY. You TRY your hardest to get it working as efficiently and effectively as possible. There's no bug-free guarantee but you can at least work at it. And it's great that you only now decide to go "Hey, this is a topic about the Lua code in the topic! Yeah, let's talk about that instead!" Why are you suddenly backing off? Why can't you accept responsibility? Why can't you admit you were wrong?

...But since you mentioned it, let's talk about this modern crap.

First off, pop quiz: When an ability isn't on the jump key, what's the first key you gravitate to? Nowadays, this is Custom 1. Question 2: What are you doing most of the time you're not running? Jumping. Part 3, what are you probably gonna use the MOST out of these abilities? The Double Jump, that's what! So Why the FUCK is it on Toss Flag!? Why is Lightdash on Custom 3? Why is the BOOST on Custom 1? Is it because of how broken it is?

Speaking of broken in a more literal sense, what is UP with this Double Jump? Nothing, under most circumstances. You tap it and you go up a fracunit and that's all she wrote. I know thrust code is wonky with player jumping, but then why does my own Double Jump work far better than yours does? There's not even a jump sound or something! When you give a player a double jump, that's probably the most common thing they're gonna do! It greatly extends horizontal jumping range in addition to going vertical, and it's usually just enough to climb on stuff, so if you're in the air, its what you're gonna do the most. You can't afford for it to just randomly not work, and be all the way onto wherever the player puts Toss Flag!

Second, the light dash. Or Lightdash or Light-dash or what have you. Why is it that you're STILL using the old version of the light dash code? You have to hold it the entire time you use it. Weather its on Custom 3 or Toss Flag, the "odd keys" as it were, it may not be in the most favorable position for most players, and as a result, can be uncomfortable or easy to let go. Just update it with the latest Lightdash code and it should be ok.

Third, the stomp. Christ, if you tap this, it sends you at a RIDICULOUS height. It's as bad as Cream's stomp used to be! This is probably the most broken of his abilities, and acts very little like it did in the Modern games you're trying to imitate. Why are you capable of skyrocketing? Why don't you just pierce enemies on the way down? With the boost, you can leap over giant chunks of the map!

And finally, the damn Boost. Why is this shit off of rings? Like, not even a bar, its DIRECTLY off of rings. With you losing a ring every second and gaining 5 rings in a row on any given level, you can use the boost almost the entire level. To put it in perspective, a single ring box gives you ten seconds of boost! That's ridiculous! It doesn't matter if you effectively lose all boost if you hit somebody if you're invincible to enemies! Well it stops being broken later on, if only because the game starts putting more cramped points to make it useless. Just nothing but scraping the sides of walls with my face.

So yeah, pretty clear I don't like it. At first, I thought this was all stolen code, but after comparing it to Greeneyes, everything seemed to check out. However, looking at it now, it's also really badly written. I know my own Greeneyes has its faults as a result of being the guinea pig, but man, This mod just doesn't feel good to play. It also doesn't help that this mod is at complete odds at how SRB2 handles normally, and as a result, SRB2's level design clashes with it a lot. Maybe if there were levels focused exclusively on these abilities, it would be able to shine, but as a standalone product, it just doesn't work well.
I'd like to say something about the modern sonic moveset but this feels almost like it's offtopic here.

If you have a modern sonic moveset you are most likely going to use the boost, that's why it's probably on custom button 1. I'm guessing that jump was added as a extra because colors sonic had it. This lua feels more like it's a basic "moveset" if you want to add modern sonic moves. Using up rings isn't the best idea, but it's a basic boost, which is somewhat balanced, at least it's not infinite. If you read the signature of the creator of this lua, you would see that even he thinks that boost wouldn't work in srb2, but he made it so people that want to use the modern moves can without having to code much lua stuff.

Lightdash on key 3 was something what I wanted to do. Most characters with custom moves would probably use 1-2 keys, so lightdash could be easily added to them without changing the button. Not sure why it's using the outdated code.
r543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #48
MotdSpork
Mafia? Zombies? Gold spork?
 
MotdSpork's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC. lat' View Post
Also I noticed that the double jump is a bit overpowered, it sends you too high :|You should reduce its 'propulsion' to the half of a normal jump.
it depends on when you press the double jump key. its kinda a skill to learn as when to press it to get the maximum height.

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by D00D64 View Post
And finally, the damn Boost. Why is this shit off of rings? Like, not even a bar, its DIRECTLY off of rings. With you losing a ring every second and gaining 5 rings in a row on any given level, you can use the boost almost the entire level. To put it in perspective, a single ring box gives you ten seconds of boost! That's ridiculous! It doesn't matter if you effectively lose all boost if you hit somebody if you're invincible to enemies! Well it stops being broken later on, if only because the game starts putting more cramped points to make it useless. Just nothing but scraping the sides of walls with my face.
I want to do a boost bar but im not sure how so im using the ring drain as a starter until i learn how to make a boost bar work. im not the best with lua and most of this is custom code. that being said, thank you for the feed back and i will try to fix it so that it makes everyone happy and so i dont get comments where people rage about what button something is on. in all honesty, that is something you can change your self and does not need my scripting to solve.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEnternity3000
a giant turtle with hot flames shooting from its crotch descends upon you
MotdSpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #49
Phil the hegi
Absolute Nonsense
 
Phil the hegi's Avatar
Default

AHA!!! There you go. See, If you go through the trouble of doing something, and someone tries to tell you how to make it better, and you tell them to do it their self, then you might as well not even do it. Its the same problem with Zero as well.
Phil the hegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #50
MotdSpork
Mafia? Zombies? Gold spork?
 
MotdSpork's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil the hegi View Post
AHA!!! There you go. See, If you go through the trouble of doing something, and someone tries to tell you how to make it better, and you tell them to do it their self, then you might as well not even do it. Its the same problem with Zero as well.
i didnt tell him to do it himself. well at least not the boost. i said he shouldnt complain about the controls when all he has to do is go to options and change them himself.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEnternity3000
a giant turtle with hot flames shooting from its crotch descends upon you
MotdSpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #51
Phil the hegi
Absolute Nonsense
 
Phil the hegi's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotdSpork View Post
i didnt tell him to do it himself. well at least not the boost. i said he shouldnt complain about the controls when all he has to do is go to options and change them himself.
That's the vibe you gave me, the way it was worded.
Phil the hegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #52
MotdSpork
Mafia? Zombies? Gold spork?
 
MotdSpork's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil the hegi View Post
That's the vibe you gave me, the way it was worded.
my bad, i didnt mean to word it that way. sorry for the confusion.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEnternity3000
a giant turtle with hot flames shooting from its crotch descends upon you
MotdSpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #53
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes
 
CobaltBW's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zero Team View Post
Spoiler: Okay
I don't trust it because it isn't technically a number. (Excuse my use of the word "technical", as it actually is technically a number.) It is only a "pointer" to me. Like FracUnit, for example. FracUnit is "not" 65536 to me, it just "points" to it. Everyone can argue with me about it, and they can all be right, and I can be wrong, but it's like the colour red. My red may not necessarily be your red. My red could be your green, but I'd just had learned to call it red as well. I will never understand what your red exactly is, but you will know it in and out. That counts for all of you. You can know everything about all this, and trust it completely since you know it in and out, but while I might know it too, I don't trust it, due to being worried I don't know it 100% (even though in this case I probably do).
And the reason I said "I don't trust it, alright?" is because everyone was basically "No you have to trust it, it's the only thing that can't not be trusted", and I wanted to end them from saying that over and over.
Okay, I know this is a few days late, but I just want to point out that this color analogy is goofy. If we see the color spectrum differently, it won't fucking matter because functionally we will use them the same way, even if we percieve them differently. It's a hypothetical scenario with no meaningfully different conclusion.

I don't even have a clue how this relates to the topic at hand. I'll just say this: don't skimp on proper coding technique. Code isn't art and it isn't subjective.
__________________
~CobaltBW

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014   #54
MotdSpork
Mafia? Zombies? Gold spork?
 
MotdSpork's Avatar
Default

why is this a an argument? how is the addon itself? any feedback?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEnternity3000
a giant turtle with hot flames shooting from its crotch descends upon you
MotdSpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #55
Sapheros
That guy that ports
Permanently Banned
Default

You know, for sonic's modern moveset, it's alright, but it needs a hint of nostalgia. Like maybe Sonic Adventure's "Spamdash" Where you can keep spindashing after a spin dash and keep a good amount of speed.
Sapheros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #56
MotdSpork
Mafia? Zombies? Gold spork?
 
MotdSpork's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duon the Adventurer View Post
You know, for sonic's modern moveset, it's alright, but it needs a hint of nostalgia. Like maybe Sonic Adventure's "Spamdash" Where you can keep spindashing after a spin dash and keep a good amount of speed.
i want to make a classic/dreamcast lua set that will incorporate that style of spindash along with the super peelout and etc.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEnternity3000
a giant turtle with hot flames shooting from its crotch descends upon you
MotdSpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014   #57
TOGM95
What am I again?
 
TOGM95's Avatar
Default

I founded another bug but i couldn't post any videos or screenshots, sorry.

Whatever: If you try to boost with no rings, your sprite stops at the running animation. ​ I mean, it changes AND stops at the running animation. For javascript example:
Code:
gotoandstop (8)
(Sorry if you don't understand what i mean)
__________________
FNaF happened! (like 5 months!)

And remember:

IT'S ME. (or IT'S HIM whatev.)
TOGM95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014   #58
MotdSpork
Mafia? Zombies? Gold spork?
 
MotdSpork's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGM95 View Post
I founded another bug but i couldn't post any videos or screenshots, sorry.

Whatever: If you try to boost with no rings, your sprite stops at the running animation. ​ I mean, it changes AND stops at the running animation. For javascript example:
Code:
gotoandstop (8)
(Sorry if you don't understand what i mean)
Do you have the most recent version? This does not happen to me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEnternity3000
a giant turtle with hot flames shooting from its crotch descends upon you
MotdSpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #59
TOGM95
What am I again?
 
TOGM95's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotdSpork View Post
Do you have the most recent version? This does not happen to me.
Yes, indeed. I do have 2.5 version.
__________________
FNaF happened! (like 5 months!)

And remember:

IT'S ME. (or IT'S HIM whatev.)
TOGM95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014   #60
MotdSpork
Mafia? Zombies? Gold spork?
 
MotdSpork's Avatar
Default

Well i might not understand what you are talking about. Sorry.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEnternity3000
a giant turtle with hot flames shooting from its crotch descends upon you
MotdSpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #61
MotdSpork
Mafia? Zombies? Gold spork?
 
MotdSpork's Avatar
Default

I found out what you meant. It is fixed and will be in the next update along with other little goodies. ;)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEnternity3000
a giant turtle with hot flames shooting from its crotch descends upon you
MotdSpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.