• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Dumbventure ...TOO!? El Papero Mareio - *In English! - Progress Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
EminentPossibleConure.gif

And as I said before, here's another badge! This is technically the third Hammer badge, but I have been wanting to make something like this for ages!

The Blue Boomerang badge allows you to chuck a low flight boomerang for 2FP. It'll travel ahead a semi-short distance and come right back. However, you best be careful, as this thing will hit you on the way back, you klutz! However, with a simple jump or sidestep, it'll keep flying backwards until it inevitably hits a wall. You can only have one boomerang in flight at a time, and a boomerang will eventually disappear on its own, if it doesn't hit anything.

EvenLazyHart.gif

EminentPossibleConure.gif

If you look closely, the boomerang loses its shadow when it comes back.

Speaking of shadows, why aren't they in vanilla software? I die quite constantly just because there isn't any to judge your position. ;_;

Because all these mods have fixed camera angles and shadows are made up of a single sprite. It'd only work if the sprite changed relative to your position to an object, and that'd require a load of frames and math.

IdealBothGalago.gif

You have no idea how much trouble getting this to work was. Now, every enemy not only needs a missile counterpart, but also a dying corpse to leave behind when killed normally, as it would appear to duplicate itself. Every enemy that can be hit needs its own hook now, and every missile counterpart needs one too. And y'know what? Totally worth it. Until this starts affecting performance later or something.

Introducing the Side Smash! It's normally called the Spin Smash, but there's not a lot of spinning involved and I'm not going to add any additional spinning. This is a 1FP move that smacks an enemy ahead of you to hit another. I wanted both hammer and jump badges to, hopefully, have at least one of each: a 1FP badge, a 2FP Badge, and a 3FP Badge. Now, the Hammer Badges have all 3 of what I wanted! Oh, and I should mention: not all enemies get side smashed, bigger foes wont budge! However, other foes may have different properties when struck, like flight patterns...

RectangularMasculineAltiplanochinchillamouse.gif

(it bounces on the ground too)

You may also spy a new jump badge too, so I might as well show that off too, even if its in beta.

GregariousQuerulousAbyssiniancat.gif

This is the Fire Hop, a move that sends you upwards like the double jump, but you ignite and can attack airborne foes! However, this'll completely cut all forward momentum, making it much less useful for platforming. The fireballs (which are from Iceman404, and were used in Dumbventure Volume 1 so I hope he doesent mind me reusing 'em) arn't quite working right at the moment, as they're supposed to fade out, but they just... disappear.I also wanted to either replace them with larger ones, or a different graphic all together and just use the fireballs for their intended purpose. It's kinda low priority right now.

Last edited:
You have no idea how much trouble getting this to work was. Now, every enemy not only needs a missile counterpart, but also a dying corpse to leave behind when killed normally, as it would appear to duplicate itself. Every enemy that can be hit needs its own hook now, and every missile counterpart needs one too. And y'know what? Totally worth it. Until this starts affecting performance later or something.

I'm not sure you actually need a missile and corpse object for every single enemy, provided some sufficiently fancy Lua stuff is done. First, I'd recommend making a single missile object with its DEATHSTATE as the enemy "poof" animation (and a SPAWNSTATE of irrelevant value), as well as one state for each destructible enemy that displays that enemy's hurt sprite and has an infinite duration (or goes in a loop if you want it to animate). Now set the DEATHSTATE of every enemy object to the death animation that it would use if simply killed normally, and set its XDEATHSTATE to the infinite-duration hurt state.

Using whatever method you'd like to detect whether an enemy has been killed with the Side Smash, have the enemy create one of that single missile object at its current position, change the missile's momentum as necessary, and set the missile's state to the enemy's XDEATHSTATE. Then, the enemy should create a variable (let's call it originMobj) within the missile object and set it to the object type of the enemy (e.g. MT_GOOMBA). Finally, have the enemy immediately use P_RemoveMobj() on itself so it disappears before it can even start its DEATHSTATE animation.

Since the missile's state was set to the XDEATHSTATE of the enemy that spawned it, it'll have the appearance of the enemy flying through the air in its hurt sprite. If you want the missile to have different behaviors depending on its origin enemy type, you can add a P_MobjThinker hook to it that executes certain functions based on the value of originMobj. (if originMobj == MT_BUBBLES, add flag MF_NOGRAVITY, etc.) Since every enemy will have basically the same behaviors upon death via Side Smash (create missile, change missile's speed, set missile's state and originMobj variable, remove self), you may only need one hook, but even if you don't, you'll still save considerably on objects, with only one missile and no corpses.

I think the Fire Hop looks a little unexciting, and possibly intuitive because I wouldn't want to jump into an enemy. I would try overlaying the fireball animation over Mareio, like a shield.

I'd overlay my old ugly fireball sprites over Mario as a shield yeah, but also have frequent after-images of said shield.

I'll work more on the Fire Hop later, but I got another update in the meantime.

Today was mostly cramming music files into the game, so now the thing actually has proper sound. But I can't really talk about music files, so I'll cut to something else.

FairIllinformedConey.gif

Nibbles! I actually had part of this done days ago, but after getting sprites from Evilgasm and finishing up the music necessities (for now), I then finished it. Om nom nom~

Awesome! I've always been a fan of Paper Mario, and this looks like a whole new game in its current form. Looking forward to seeing a playable build.

ImpureNecessaryFalcon.gif

Thanks bunches to MonsterIestyn, I was able to get fade-ins and fade-outs!

I was going to just use these for certain entrances, but I may use them for pipes too.

WeepyCharmingFlyingsquirrel.gif

Another progress GIF, now there's stuff you can activate with the push of Custom 1, from RedEnchilada's script libraries, and text boxes with new text! When you see the orange ! sign down there, that means you can push Custom 1 to interact with it. This'll be used for NPCs too. And yeah, some bug with Mareio's shadow there, I'll try and do something about it.

Aside from that, most of my stuff has been spriting for characters that show up in cutscenes I have yet to make because I've been busy crying over how awful of an artist I am. You'll see them soon enough.

I enjoy ignoring this thread, then checking in, because there's so much new stuff it's like Christmas. Keep up the great work!
(Also, multiplayer no?)

(Also, multiplayer no?)

FondLateBream.gif

It has about the exact same multiplayer support as Dumbventure Volume 1 did.

rip in pieces green mareio

Oh, and there's no support for the default characters either, if it wasn't obvious.

OrderlyJadedAtlasmoth.gif

Last edited:
SickSlushyCoyote.gif

And now, the extremely early beginnings of a cutscene. I just started a little system to allow me to move characters around at the start of a trigger. Through a series of other triggers, characters can easily walk, run, jump, do talking motions, emote... But this is just a simple start.

It also opens up more possibilities for other things...

ChubbyUncommonKoala.gif

GFY Link, as it'd load a lot faster: http://gfycat.com/ChubbyUncommonKoala

Oh, and as for who this is... Very few of you may know who she is, but for now, all I'm saying is that she's an original character named Sarah Brass and comes from yet ANOTHER scrapped concept for BOOLET, and that's all you're finding out for awhile.

RemorsefulSmugAmericanpainthorse.gif

Last edited:
FlickeringMeekBedbug.gif

And here's the first small part of the first cutscene. I'm using a different font now, because the old one... wasn't so great. Again, could use work. Sarah looks really stiff, the badges appear on and off, and the Yoster Island font lacks some characters like parenthesis, but it's a lot smoother sailing from here on out!

And here's the first small part of the first cutscene. I'm using a different font now, because the old one... wasn't so great. Again, could use work. Sarah looks really stiff, the badges appear on and off, and the Yoster Island font lacks some characters like parenthesis, but it's a lot smoother sailing from here on out!

Does the dialogue go forward on its own or is the player allowed to press a button to advance the dialogue at their own pace? 'coz I think it goes a wee bit too fast.

Currently, its autoscroll, thinking it would be more difficult to do, but after more consideration, it might actually be easier, so I'll look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back