Srb2:Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Last time wrong forum this time nothing should happen.... Well this is just a wild idea but form those source pictures it just might happen here's what a scene might look like Sonic: Tails what do I do again....
Tails: Don't worry sonic I'll help... Tails completes level for you while explaining how to work everything. Then you go to the next test chamber.
Any thoughts or other info might be nice.

He said again it's just an idea.

Through I gotta admit I already know how fake "portals" can be implemented, through you won't be able to generate them like in Valve's game, just it'd be fixed teleporters with weird targets.

You wanna SOC a gun that alternates projectiles between two separate spawners, which act as teleporters that not only preserve momentum, but adjust angle, and even redirect momentum if necessary?

'Cause I sure as hell don't.
(On an unrelated bright side, first post from Firefox. W00t!)

Yeah It's a bit much but think of all the things you could do... Portal styled sonic maps and other fun things it's just a problem that no one is willing to make it, but when it's made if it was made we might be able to reel in a new type of people... Portal map makers/ Sonic Fans......

You're missing the point. Sure, I'd love a Portal gun in SRB2, what I'm trying to argue here is that it's PHYSILOGICALLY UNPOSSIBLE! Must I make a list?

1. The gun needs to alternate between launching the two portals, while this CAN be done, it's wholly inconvenient.

2. The portals in the game itself showed an image of where the portal led, maybe not necessary, but that'd be nice. Not possible however. SOCs cannot effect textures, which themselves cannot be altered in real time.

3. Thing based teleporters cannot be made in vanilla SRB2. A simple lack of functions.

4. The portals would need to adjust the player's momentum relative to the angle of the portal. This would require direct access to the player's momentum, which cannot be done with SOC.

5. The portals would need completely different code for when shot at the floor, complete with shifting horizontal momentum into vertical momentum, which also cannot be acessed from a SOC.

Now, maybe if you feel like programming it, it becomes slightly less horribly unlikely. But I can't imagine such a small thing needing an EXE mod.

I can't do it and now it's far to much to do I was saying if we ever moved to Source SDK (I think that's what it's called....) it could happen but not now it so little and requires to much work..... It might even take a whole team just to make something like that and a whole lot of changes to Srb2's source...

I can see having portals like that in SRB2 being fun for about 5 minutes. "Woo! I can go through one and show up someplace else on the map!"

I don't see how they fit into the scheme of making an SRB2 map, since it's not a puzzle game.

You don't have any idea about how does a portal rendering system work. It would require rewriting the WAD format (unless you want to lose something like flat alignment). Curiously it would be easier to implement in software than in hardware, because it would work perfectly with a raycasting-like scheme.

No (through seems like a good idea >_>). I'm talking about portals as a rendering system. See, all walls can be portals. In fact all two-sided walls are. The difference is that when you cross them, the rendering moves on another wall rather than just going through it like normal raycasting (and hence SRB2) does. You can do that, yes, but you can make it go to another wall too, or even make it go to itself (effectively making a mirror). That's how it works.

Well... the only problem with that portal gun is that it truly isn't on the ground but if anyone can figure out how to convert Zdoom files 2 Srb2 I could make maps for it....

Kaysakado said:
UNPOSSIBLE, MY GOOD SIR!

SRB2 has no DECORATE lump.
Judging by its name, it probably has nothing to do with our money. No kidding, that's all object-stuff. And I don't think that would be possible using SRB2. I guess SRB2 has a completely different set of state actions, and I don't recall teleporting being between them.

Sik said:
Kaysakado said:
UNPOSSIBLE, MY GOOD SIR!

SRB2 has no DECORATE lump.
Judging by its name, it probably has nothing to do with our money. No kidding, that's all object-stuff. And I don't think that would be possible using SRB2. I guess SRB2 has a completely different set of state actions, and I don't recall teleporting being between them.
Wouldn't a_capechase work for teleporting? Hit one portal, a_capechase the other portal for a tic, and there you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back