I just think it's kinda funny...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My XP laptop from years ago ran SRB2 just fine, but my brand new Dell Inspiron 5555 is chugging like it's about to die. Heck, even my Dimension 2400 has an easier time running 2.1. Why would that be the case? Isn't that a bit counterintuitive...?

tl;dr: Older computers run the latest version of SRB2 better than newer ones. The heck?

SRB2 does tend to run best on Windows XP, in my experience. That's nothing new. That said, Windows 10 ought to run the game just fine, so I'm not sure what's up.

Even I can run SRB2 on my MacBook Air with little to no trouble at all. But it can display anything with OpenGL enabled. Maybe you should try Software and OpenGL on the srb2win and srb2dd executables and experiment to see what runs best?

Here are the results of my testing. For reference: Running in wine under Xubuntu 17.04.

srb2win - software
Successfully opens, but no video.

srb2win - opengl
Successfully opens, with video, sluggish. My default.

srb2dd - software
Crashes before the window opens.

srb2dd - opengl
Successfully opens, with video, responsive, but the audio is jittery and clips constantly.

We don't support running the game through Wine, and yes this is very much your problem. While it'd be nice if we had the Mac and Linux ports in a better state, for optimal results, you'll need to run Windows.

I think part of the problem with SRB2 not running well on newer computers is that SRB2 doesn't really support multicore processing that well. Also with directdraw being unsupported in Windows 10 that is another part that makes it so that older Windows operating systems tend to have better luck running SRB2 than newer ones. But with SDL2 builds being worked on, hopefully it will be less and less of an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back