Why hasn't Single Player been updated yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I have permission, Mystic? I'll try to be broad. Of course, anything coming from me is going to be statii at the time I left and/or just hearsay. I know they've been discussing changing some of the ideas I originally had.

As you can see, these are the kind of questions that will satisfy everyone's want for information without spoiling anything. I don't see why you wouldn't want to answer them.
I think we actually have answered most of these, but here ya go:

Have any of the upcoming bosses been programmed, are any of them currently being programmed, or has nobody done anything on that yet?
No, they have not. CEZ3's boss is currently in the works.

Will somebody fix the imbalance of the paths in the last half of THZ2? (This is sort of my "personal question" that has little to do with the actual progress on the game. I just wonder if anybody thought about fixing it.)
Fixing path balance is actually kinda hard. Personally I'm a little more concerned with more dramatic imbalances, such as ERZ1. We do know about these problems, but I admit they're a little low on the to-do list.

It would hurt nobody if you told us what sort of content is going to be cut from CEZ, although I do understand that you kinda don't want to spoil what kind of content you added.
The cannon room in CEZ2 was completely reworked and plays nothing like the original. Everything that was after the cannon room on that path is gone, so the RedXVI secret room and the floating block room were deleted. Most all of the rest of the stuff in CEZ is still there, albeit the crappier parts have been reworked to not be as crappy.

How much of ACZ2 is finished and is anybody even working on it?
There are multiple started versions of ACZ2, but none of them go very far. Nobody is working on it currently.

Will RVZ1 be expanded or not?
The plan is to expand it, but not significantly. As with ACZ2, nobody is currently working on this.

What theme will RVZ2 have? Ice or volcano or both?
Volcano.

Will ERZ3 keep Brak Eggman as its boss as long as DCZ isn't done?
I dunno. I haven't even thought about it, but it's likely DCZ will never get done, so eventually we're going to need to come up with a solution for this problem.

How far is progress on the special stages? More importantly, how are they gonna be organized? One special stage for each zone (themed after that zone) or the same format as what we currently have (only with NiGHTS)?
We have three completed special stages, and a fourth half-completed. There are also two more stages that need to be reworked to set them up properly to be used as a special stage. They work by simply spawning the player directly in Nights mode (no jumping onto the temple), and otherwise operate as you would expect. If you run out of time you fall, get hit, and are kicked out of the special stage. They are themed based on the normal single player stages.

If you'd like to elaborate on any of this, AJ, feel free.

First of all, thanks for the information.

Fixing path balance is actually kinda hard.
It's not that hard in this case. The problem is mainly the huge gap that leads down to the button and the excruciatingly slow elevator that goes back up. If you removed those and put the button in a more convenient location, the problem would most likely be solved.

Personally I'm a little more concerned with more dramatic imbalances, such as ERZ1.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot to ask about ERZ1. Then again, I think someone already said that ERZ1 is unfinished.

We have three completed special stages, and a fourth half-completed. There are also two more stages that need to be reworked to set them up properly to be used as a special stage. They work by simply spawning the player directly in Nights mode (no jumping onto the temple), and otherwise operate as you would expect. If you run out of time you fall, get hit, and are kicked out of the special stage. They are themed based on the normal single player stages.
If they're themed after the single player stages, does that mean that you can only access each stage from the zone that it's themed after? Or would you be theoretically able to enter the GFZ special stage from ERZ?

..Does that mean Blue Mountain zone is going to be trashed?
Well, duh.

If they're themed after the single player stages, does that mean that you can only access each stage from the zone that it's themed after? Or would you be theoretically able to enter the GFZ special stage from ERZ?
I'm probably thinking the latter, what would the point of collecting emeralds if you miss one in x stage and not be able to collect it?
Well, duh.
-.-

For what its worth, I had done some work on RVZ1 before school started, and plan to come back to it after school lets up. I haven't done much by any means. I think that's all I can say about the level itself, and because I haven't really had time to keep up with anything else lately, I can't really comment any further on the progress of SRB2 other than stuff you already know.

The entry method remains unchanged and enter whatever special stage the next uncollected emerald is. The only difference is that they're themed based on zones instead of colors. This is more to make the levels look more interesting than our previous special stages have, since NiGHTS mode involves flying around open rooms.

Now that I think of it, there are some more things I'd like to have confirmed. None of this is new information, it's stuff that is listed on this page but not sourced. Just for convenience and because I don't want to have incorrect information there, could you confirm the following?

• Is it true that the next version will be 2.1 (or in other words, that there will be no 2.0.7)?
  • Is it true that the engine is pretty much complete aside from bugfixes and new features used in new levels?
  • Is it true that there will be a few modifications to GFZ1 to make it more suited as an introduction level?
  • Is it true that a larger version of GFZROCK will be used on some large walls in GFZ2?
  • Is it true that ERZ1 will be expanded?
  • Is it true that a Super Sonic exclusive level named Final Fight is eventually supposed to be made?
  • Is it true that coding the bosses for the SRB1 Remake is not a priority?
  • Is it true that the multiplayer levels will use the map slots the OLDC currently uses?
  • Is it true that the shield sprites are eventually supposed to be distinct from each other instead of colored orbs?
Oh, and then another one, which I asked myself today (you might not want to answer this one): 2.1 will obviously include a finished CEZ. Will it also include a finished ACZ and RVZ, and am I right by assuming that it will not include DCZ and GEZ? Put more simply, what is slated for 2.1 and what will be done sometime later?

Is it true that the next version will be 2.1 (or in other words, that there will be no 2.0.7)?
One of the huge differences in the new numbering scheme is that we don't know the answer to that question. If a major bug comes up that needs to be patched (such as a massive netplay exploit), we may have a 2.0.7. We may not. Honestly, it's only a name anyways, to help you understand what is a major change and what is not.

Is it true that the engine is pretty much complete aside from bugfixes and new features used in new levels?
Well, we can finish the game with what we have. Again, does this mean that huge modifications aren't possible? Of course not, but only if one of our coders is bored and has a strong interest in it.

Is it true that there will be a few modifications to GFZ1 to make it more suited as an introduction level?
Probably. We might determine it's not necessary. Part of the problem with making statements like this is that when things haven't been done, we might determine there's a better way to get what we want. Instead, I'll outline what we want: a better way to have certain mechanics explained to the player, especially the spindash mechanics. We may do the modifications in GFZ, or we may decide it's better to do the modifications elsewhere in the early game. Honestly, I don't know. The current plan is to do it to GFZ1.

Is it true that a larger version of GFZROCK will be used on some large walls in GFZ2?
We're going to try it. Whether or not it works out kinda depends on how it looks.

Is it true that ERZ1 will be expanded?
I'd like to. Other things are more important, though.

Is it true that a Super Sonic exclusive level named Final Fight is eventually supposed to be made?
Not saying a word on what, if anything, is planned beyond ERZ.

Is it true that coding the bosses for the SRB1 Remake is not a priority?
Nobody is working on it right now if that's what you mean. Some of the higher resolution sprites have been made, but again, the main game takes priority.

Is it true that the multiplayer levels will use the map slots the OLDC currently uses?
Yes. Multiplayer stages will use extended map numbers. This is to allow us to have more than 10 maps in the rotation.

Is it true that the shield sprites are eventually supposed to be distinct from each other instead of colored orbs?
Again, planned, but not implemented. This has actually been in the plan since the game was originally designed way back in 1998.

Oh, and then another one, which I asked myself today (you might not want to answer this one): 2.1 will obviously include a finished CEZ. Will it also include a finished ACZ and RVZ, and am I right by assuming that it will not include DCZ and GEZ? Put more simply, what is slated for 2.1 and what will be done sometime later?
Now, see, here is the big one I can't answer. The reason is that we legitimately don't know what will be in 2.1. All 2.1 is is a version number. Part of the idea of resetting our version numbers was to make it so that we don't ever end up in the weird limbo we ended up in with "Final Demo". I won't say what 2.1 will include as far as single player content because I don't know, and I won't know until we're at a point where we're actually starting to box things up for release. There is a list of things we'd LIKE to include, but obviously that list isn't necessarily the list of things that WILL be included, and therefore I'd rather not spill all the beans here to say what is and isn't going to make the cut, because the last thing I want to do is say X is going to be included where X is something a segment of our audience really wants to see, and then disappoint them when X doesn't make the cut.

One of the huge differences in the new numbering scheme is that we don't know the answer to that question. If a major bug comes up that needs to be patched (such as a massive netplay exploit), we may have a 2.0.7. We may not. Honestly, it's only a name anyways, to help you understand what is a major change and what is not.
My original post added something like "unless there's a critical bug that needs to be fixed", but then I lost it and rewrote the whole thing. That's exactly what I expected you to say.

Well, we can finish the game with what we have. Again, does this mean that huge modifications aren't possible? Of course not, but only if one of our coders is bored and has a strong interest in it.
Also what I expected, thanks.

Probably. We might determine it's not necessary. Part of the problem with making statements like this is that when things haven't been done, we might determine there's a better way to get what we want. Instead, I'll outline what we want: a better way to have certain mechanics explained to the player, especially the spindash mechanics. We may do the modifications in GFZ, or we may decide it's better to do the modifications elsewhere in the early game. Honestly, I don't know. The current plan is to do it to GFZ1.
Huh, really? I always thought those modifications had already been made...

Not saying a word on what, if anything, is planned beyond ERZ.
I'm pretty sure you were the one that originally mentioned Final Fight Zone, although I can't seem to find the post where you did. Well, whatever...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back