Score?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhh, we use "scoring" to determine a winner [in match], based off of the amount of hits. In single player, it's mainly in there to mimic the Genesis titles, although It would be nice to get a bonus for reaching a certain score.

Correct.

The score bonus gets really helpful in Ultimate difficulty, where it is harder to otherwise get points/extra lives.

I'm too lazy to go look for extra lives, so I beat GFZ 1 and get the extra life in under 30 seconds for 2 extra lives, and beat GHZ 3 and THZ 3 in less than 30 seconds for another 2 extra lives. By then, I wind up with enough points to just kill a few enemies in CEZ 2 for another extra life, making a total of 6 lives.

Which is more than enough, since I usually only wind up dying two-three times due to stupidity.

IIRC, over 50,000 points in an extra life. It is also used in the race mode (not time-only) to determine the winner, which I think also includes fastest time and number of rings.

Also used in match; winner is the person with the most points; 50 per hit, 100 per kill.

But, yeah, it'd be nice if a bonus of sorts could be awarded for getting a high score in single player; perhaps an unlockable level, like Mario Zone? It'd at least give the player more of a reason to get a good aount of points, since admit it, extra lives really aren't that exciting.

Spazzo said:
Uhh, we use "scoring" to determine a winner [in match], based off of the amount of hits. In single player, it's mainly in there to mimic the Genesis titles, although It would be nice to get a bonus for reaching a certain score.

Be patient, young padwan, all will be revealed shortly :)

Aren't we all forgetting what was the main purpose of the score in the past titles?
The score in video games was mainly created to reflect how well you did on that level, and the game itself. It also helps to determine which one is better, like for instance: you have a friend spending the day at your house, and both of you decide to check out who can complete GHZ1 better. Well, there you have it.
And finally, it is a bit... "ugly" to see the HUD with no score. It looks like that all the effort you had to stomp on robots and free flickyes hasn't been recorded...

Actually thats pretty universal, every game that has scoring gives it to a degree of how good the player was. Time bonuses occur for running through it quickly, but getting all the rings gets you a perfect bonus (urm, does it in SRB2?) and getting a whole bunch of baddies in a chain gets you a deal of points too.

So it goes without saying what the score is there for, now how practical it is for the individual game may be a matter of opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back