sh_srb2tbe.wad [2.0 B5] Public Beta + Halloween edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callum

SRB2: TBE 2.0 BETA 5 PUBLIC BETA + HALLOWEEN EDITION!

Some changes in this WAD. NOTE: Halloween Edition requires SRB2JTE 1.69.10, which can be downloaded here.

http://gcfreak.sepwich.com/downloads/sh_srb2tbe[]halloween.zip

Known bugs:

Unlockables list is inaccurate, I'll fix that later.
JTE might crash with TBE Halloween edition loaded, so it is wise to save your progress along the way.

Uh, you may want to learn the basics of wadding before you even attempt to make a level pack. I've only seen the first level, and I can already see a bunch of things wrong.

* No Thok Barrier
* Cramped passages
* Rooms with nothing but huge amounts of enemies in them
* Flat, no need for jumping
* Long, empty hallways
* Strong power-ups (Invincibility, 1UP, Armageddon Shield) in non-hidden and easy-to-get-to locations
* Rings aren't floating (Deaf)

Now, those are the facts. All of the things I just listed are things that should never be in a Single Player level. Now for my opinions:

* SA Mode. Ick.
* FAR too easy. The invincibility monitors will last just about the entire length of the level.
* Nothing interesting. The levels are just bland and have no detail. I'm just running through a cave and there's nothing there.

You should really try to learn more about wadding and design before you try to take on an entire project. Try looking at other Single Player levels and try to figure out why they're fun.

I'd also suggest finding somewhere else to upload. I don't like all of the ads and pop-ups on that site, as well as the 45 second waiting period.

Sorry, I compressed it wrong :P

@FF: Hmmm, I see. I've noticed the first level was considerably easy aswell, it was an old map anyway. Eh? Armageddon Shield? Where?

Uhm... okay..

All Levels:

FF pretty much summed it up. Non-deaf rings, no thok barrier, obviously placed invincibility and super sneaker TVs, large empty spaces, small pathways...

And for hell's sake, please turn off the SA Mode! I don't like having to use the console command ANALOG OFF each time a level starts.

Zone 1:

Very long hallways, obviously placed item boxes, you get the drill. Levels are pretty short. Why is spikeball Eggman used as the boss?

Zone 2:

Death pits. Way too many death pits for just the second zone. And the second act was just some crappy invisible maze of glitchiness. The boss level for this zone has GOT to go.

Zone 3:

Still pretty meh. At least in this zone you showed off your knowledge of waterblocks. Boss for this zone is glitched up for some reason. Slime isn't scattering, and the pogo at the end is all messed up.

Zone 4:

You've definitely showed improvement in this level, I'll admit. Thok barrier, decent looking platforms (used wrong texture though. Shouldn't be cracked looking), etc.. But what's with the bosses? You don't really need to defeat them. This zone was also very short.

Conclusion:

Judging by Zone 4, you have gained more knowledge about level making, and as such, it would be a good idea to redo the rest of your pack with higher standards.

Things to work on:

Length - All the levels are rather short. Levels should be large and immersive, with many different paths, and secrets for you to find.

Detail - The open areas are rather lack-luster. Try putting more objects in these places, to make them more explorable. GFZ2 is a pretty good level to use as a reference. MR is probably better, though.

Item Placement - You've somewhat improved on this in later levels, but again, you should use your new standards on all of your levels. Remember, it's a bad idea to place lots and lots of enemies in one area.

Others - Work the thok barrier into all levels. There really is no excuse for a level not to have a thok barrier. Also, you should probably turn off SA Mode.

Judging by these facts, this is probably your first set of levels. I'll go easy on you. However, you, in return, must research how to make deep, enjoyable levels.

Thanks for your replies. These comments will help me make Better levels and improve these ones in future wads :).

Don't make the same mistake that I made in the contest. I made small passageways, but no large rooms. My level was also extremely small.

For all you ranting about SA mode, you should at least mention that it's not BAD to have SA mode. It's just bad to have it in a level not designed for it.

I mainly rant about SA Mode because it keeps turning on Analog when I don't want it to. The rest of it I don't mind.

SRB2 works pretty well with a PS2 pad. Unfortunately, it's really hard to turn in the air, which I do incredibly often.

*Double Post*

Well I'm going along pretty good, Hyper Tails is fixing the Thok Barriers up for me, Thank you!!!!

I am working on a new zone, called Barrel Volcano Zone (Will be renamed to Volcano Furnace). It is very much WIP so there is not much Items yet.

SCREENIES!!!!!one one eleven exclamation!!!!!OMGZ

srb20002.jpg

Wow! A Magma fall!

srb20003.jpg

Let's go up the staircase!

srb20004.jpg

I'm at the Hidden Shrine but Where is the token? *sigh*

The music is that of Flame Rift Zone.

Wow, and cool. But could this be BEFORE Sky Sanctuary zone?
We people who can't get chaos emeralds atleast want more fun to play.

We will soon release the story behind this level pack, but for now, you will have to make do with a few levels.

At the moment, I am working on the emerald stages. YES, there are going to be custom emerald stages to match the zone.

And along with that, ALL new Zones will replace these ones (Excluding VFZ) and the Current ones will be Archives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back