Suggestions

Certain lines from #SRB2fun said:
<Conic> Two things need to be completely rewritten in SRB2.
<Conic> 1. Rendering. 2. Netcode.
<@Mystic> Honestly, the netcode is more important than the renderer
<Torgo> OGL makes the game a bit faster on some computers
I completely agree with those statements.

I think I meant have mentioned this before, but I should say it again, because it's so important.

Allow for ( and ) as opposed to quotation marks in scripts. It's very limiting when SRB2 assumes the next quotation mark is paired with the one directly before it.

Higher speed limits. Sonic isn't fast enough for me. Also, more abilities. (EX: Glide (No Climb), Super Jump (That can be done with a certain GhostThokItem, but what fun is that?), Super Transform (You always transform if you have 50 rings. You guys can screw this if you want))

Melee attacks please! (I would like to have a character that spindashes and can melee attack with a certain key.)

[18:00] <@Mystic> Ugh, doing deep snow is such a pain
[18:00] <@Mystic> I don't wanna get WadAuthor out to do this **** X_X
[18:00] <Kaysakado> As opposed to shallow snow?
[18:00] <Kaysakado> Don't they both just use fake floors?
[18:00] <@Mystic> That's what I mean
[18:01] <@Mystic> In order for it to look right, you have to have it 1 fracunit away from the edge
[18:01] <@Mystic> Which is a royal pain
[18:01] <Kaysakado> when did this happen
[18:01] <Kaysakado> Oh right
[18:01] <Kaysakado> Yeah, I see what you mean
[18:01] <Kaysakado> perhaps you could cheat and use an intangible FOF?
[18:02] <@Mystic> I could, but that lowers the framerate and causes renderer errors sometimes
[18:02] <Kaysakado> hey mystic i had an idea
[18:02] <Kaysakado> use a main texture for the sides of the snow
[18:02] <@Mystic> wow...you know...that just might work
[18:03] <Kaysakado> We should have a texture that has a layer of snow at the top and some snow hanging off of it
[18:03] <Kaysakado> that would look very pretty

last two lines are the actual suggestion, before that is what I intend for it to be used for.

EDIT: In other words, a THZVINE, but with snow. We should also have similar textures for other things.

Last edited:
Okay. You can manipulate that by simply having fake floor/ceiling sectors with a "hanging" snow texture.

Stone Shoes monitor

Slows you down, but adds weight. As in, you are unaffected by wind, can activate/break stuff below you that cannot be activated/broken otherwise, higher gravity, and falling from a good height causes a small quake that can hurt enemies.

srb20000.png

Modify whatever causes this and add mirror support for walls and floors?

srb20000.png

If this can help the Hall of Mirrors problem and other similiar rendering errors in any way, I defenitely would agree with this idea. Mirror support would be a great idea for ice levels and any level with any surface of water showing.

-I don't know if this is a bug report or a suggestion, but there seems to be one discolored pixel in all the special stage skies, which bothers and distracts me for some reason.

-Mix all floor and texture resources. There seem to be some flats which don't have a corresponding texture, and vice versa.

-To add onto D00D64's suggestion about Damage - Ice, maybe the player should enter the 'Frozen' state if they come in contact with an ice damage-dealing thing.

What about these suggestions for Blue Heaven Zone?...
  • An ice/snow slide, similar to the section mid-way through ERZ2 with the fans and the wind currents.
  • Enemies that look just like the snowmen scenery objects in SRB2, but throw snowballs at you when your back is turned.

Last edited:
Hey, what about an ice-themed boss, like in Diamond Dust of Sonic 3D Blast? And maybe an enemy that's able to spray frost at you to freeze you into an ice cube?

What about these suggestions for Blue Heaven Zone?...
  • An ice/snow slide, similar to the section mid-way through ERZ2 with the fans and the wind currents.
  • Enemies that look just like the snowmen scenery objects in SRB2, but throw snowballs at you when your back is turned.
The second one is almost exactly like the Snowman enemy in Diamond Dust of S3DB.
Damage - Ice

Because ice water =/= Nasty Goop.

Freezing State

An ability to put a player in a freezing state by an enemy. It would make them freeze in their pain pose, but with an ice block graphic overlapping them similar to a shield, and maybe making the sprite more blue/cyan-ish in a colormap way, if possible. After unfreezing, it would hurt them, just like in Sonic CD and Sonic 3&K.
DOOD64, that's exactly what I was thinking. That would would be really nice, especially for Blue Mountain. Also, this is done in Sonic 3D Blast as well.

EDIT: Ice-themed stuff is extremely needed for SRB2.

Last edited:
srb20000.png

This is only happening because the camera is at zero height relative to the water surface. If you'll notice, the reflected scene is exactly the same as the original one, except slightly crushed.

SRB2 can't actually make reflections without drawing the entire scene twice, for the two distinct camera angles. And given that the game already lags as is, sorry. Fake it yourself using clever sector work and transparent FOFs. (Like Arca Plant in Phantasy Star Zero; similarly though, objects wouldn't be reflected.)

Regarding the ice-damage stuff - wouldn't that completely break a certain ice-themed race stage?

The ice damage suggestion was given as an idea as if it was a suggestion for a linedef or state by the way it was typed, making it optional to use for water,objects,enemies,etc. in levels.

Character Swap, anyone? You should be able to jump through a character gate, swapping you to that certain character.

Character Only Zones? Parts of a level that only a certain character can complete.

And maybe a chase zone? You either have to race against eggman,chase him down,or rum from him.

犬夜叉;655666 said:
How would it break that map, anyway?
Well for one thing, a good 3-5 seconds of immobilization is a much bigger disadvantage in a race map than it needs to be. Hell, 4 times out of 5 if you're stopped for that long you'll fall into last place instantly.

The ice damage suggestion was given as an idea as if it was a suggestion for a linedef or state by the way it was typed, making it optional to use for water,objects,enemies,etc. in levels.
Fair enough.

Character Swap, anyone? You should be able to jump through a character gate, swapping you to that certain character.

Character Only Zones? Parts of a level that only a certain character can complete.
1.That's been done with SRB2 Heroes. No need to implement it into the whole game itself.
2. You can force a certain skin in a map's MAINCFG SOC

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back