To all the musically oriented people here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charybdizs

>WTB lamp oil
Administrator
Kart Krew™️
Once every year, on VGMusic, the most amazing music contest ever is held. It is called the SPC. Unacronymed, the Sample Pack Contest.

And seeing as there are a few musicians in this community, I thought I'd call their attention to it.

I'll give a simple rundown of what it is, and how it works.

Up until February 1st or until enough are gathered, the leader of the contest receives packs of 3 samples from each participant.* They can be any sort of .wav file imaginable, from Melodic, Percussive, to just plain silly.
Come February 1st, and those samples are released en masse in a pack, and the madness begins, with each participant editing those samples to their own desires, and making full songs out of them and them alone. The end of the composing period yields us some results similar to what you might hear in a POGO song. Then comes the obligatory judging, similar to the way OLDC judging is handled here, but the most important part is the fun involved.

And it is indeed fun. There are all sorts of entries, from the emotional to the satire. Last contest we ended up with about 50 songs, of all different sorts, and each one was unique in it's own way. I would love to see some of the people from here involved in it this year.

If you're interested in joining us, head over here for more info, and for the VGMusic discussion topic itself.

And just in case you're intrigued, all the entries from previous contests can be found on this page right here

*As a side note, don't be a turd and submit samples if you don't intend to make a song.

The winning entry from the sixth contest, Mr. Huffletuff's Kitty Cat Cosmic Escapades, is absolutely wonderful. I implore the rest of you to at least listen to that song, if no other.

The winning entry from the sixth contest, Mr. Huffletuff's Kitty Cat Cosmic Escapades, is absolutely wonderful. I implore the rest of you to at least listen to that song, if no other.

Yes, that was one of my favorites from the contest. We had a lot of keepers in there. I actually composed "Tidal Chamber" for that one, and it won 7th. I was under a very different, very unoriginal, and very newbish name on VGMusic Forums then though, "The Ultimate Chimera". My favorite set of songs was from contest 5 though. I should have warned though, a few of the songs from Album 5 in particular can be slightly... NSFW. There was a sample that time round that people went a bit wild with. But that aside, Paradise Trance, Electrolysis Aquatica, Ducktopia, and Snowflake Village, were absolutely amazing. It's worth noting that three of the mentioned songs were made by Blue.Nocturne, the same guy who made Mr. Huffletuff's Cosmic Kitty Cat Escapade.

And so the songs are released, for listening and for public judging!

The topic is here: http://www.vgmusic.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14670

And for quick downloads, the song pack is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?3dqoo6m4hk5xgi1

Twenty-Eight songs this time around. It may not sound like a lot, but when you get listening, it certainly is. There are keepers and throw aways for sure, but it's definitely worth a listen.
I dare you all, try to pick my song out of the bunch. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back