Isn't the Hall of Fame a little too restrictive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say the community is actually pretty heavily split on that issue. Things are nominated for the Hall of Fame in the Judge's Bench, which as the name implies can be accessed by anyone in the judge user group. Tortured Planet has not been nominated, but I'd wager it would definitely not pass on a straight vote because of several parts that are just downright atrocious.

I honestly think that the Hall of Fame should be something the people of the community consider to be something great, not just what a lone person might think is "great."
It's not a lone person who decides what is good enough for the Hall of Fame, it's a whole panel of judges. Trust me, we have quite a bit of knowledge on that matter, we won't simply ignore something that everybody thinks is great.

And Yoshi, we've been over the Tortured Planet discussion already. You're not contributing anything by bringing it up again and again. If we think it's good enough, we'll move it; if not, we won't. Also, I wouldn't say the whole community thinks Tortured Planet is great. It's actually quite controversial. Rest assured that we're not ruling Tortured Planet out completely, and if it reaches the point of quality where we think it's good enough, we'll move it.

Let me ask you a question, Yoshi: Is your belief of how popular Tortured Planet is based on the praise you see for it in netgames? Because that isn't at all an accurate representation. This is what is known to economists as "selection bias". Just because you never see people complaining about Tortured Planet on netgames doesn't mean that such people don't exist--it means that such people are not interested in joining a Tortured Planet server. Would you join a netgame focused on a WAD you didn't like?

Obviously I can't speak objectively about Tortured Planet's eligibility, but I will say that I agree with Mystic and SpiritCrusher. As much as I would love to see my work honored like that, it's not at the level of quality that the Hall of Fame demands. I intend to improve my creation indefinitely, but it makes no sense to bestow honors upon something for what it might be in the future. They don't award Nobel Prizes to people who intend to do great things (well, they kind of did for Barack Obama, but that's a rare exception).

So, yeah. I hope that ends the controversy about that. But my previous conviction still stands. The Hall of Fame includes XSRB2 and, as of yesterday, Botanic Serenity. I think that's a little too exclusive. Surely there are a few other things that deserve a spot. I heard someone mention Oceanic Cove Zone; why not add that too?

So, yeah. I hope that ends the controversy about that. But my previous conviction still stands. The Hall of Fame includes XSRB2 and, as of yesterday, Botanic Serenity. I think that's a little too exclusive. Surely there are a few other things that deserve a spot. I heard someone mention Oceanic Cove Zone; why not add that too?
We can't just add stuff in the blink of an eye, we need to make sure a few judges voted before we move something. Rest assured that there is more stuff we consider moving.

Commander Hypersonic and I are the only people that I've ever seen use them in a server. I don't get it...

There are more people that play archpack and retropack than you think. For instance did you think about spectrum's server? He uses archpack most of the time.

Last edited:
And comunity thinks that Tortured PLanet is great.

The "community" also likes roleplaying, fancharacters, sms, and sprite rip wads.

The SRB2 forum base, on the other hand, is pretty much in agreement that Tortured Planet is currently facing some fairly big flaws, such as two whole zones being garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back