Just asking

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that while you can give literal step-by-step instructions for some procedures, this isn't really a procedure. Now, don't get me wrong, parts of it is, and a good tutorial generally shows a procedure for at least the beginning (which reminds me of a441's excellent WadAuthor tutorial from ages ago), but the reality is that wadding isn't a simple procedure, and there's no way around the vocabulary and technical understanding required to do it. Anyone who wants to do it is going to need to understand what sectors, linedefs, and vertices are at the very least, and they'll need to understand things like what the front and back of a linedef means.

I do agree our tutorial needs a lot of work, as I instantly remember a441's ancient tutorial and how much better it was (although the writing was far worse, it introduced the beginning concepts better by starting with step-by-step instructions to making a very simple map), I really don't think many people who complain really sit down and even TRY to mess around with the editor, because even with no knowledge at all with some experimentation and our documentation it should be more than possible to figure it out.

(although the writing was far worse, it introduced the beginning concepts better by starting with step-by-step instructions to making a very simple map)
That's kinda what the current tutorial does too. It just explains a lot of stuff along the way, but that stuff has to be explained.

Well, Spiritcrusher, the advantage of WadAuthor in this respect is that it didn't need to be explained at all while teaching the user, since WadAuthor didn't have separate editing modes by default. Hence, he could say stuff like "right click and draw a square" and it would do what was necessary.

He also included a LOT of pictures for what each step looked like in the editor, which also helped tremendously.

He also included a LOT of pictures for what each step looked like in the editor, which also helped tremendously.
Now that is something somebody should fix in our tutorial, but due to time and interest constraints, I doubt it'll be me.

Okay, I'm gonna be blunt: If you don't understand enough English to read the Wiki, we won't help you. It might not be perfect, but saying that the Wiki is no help whatsoever is just flat-out ridiculous.
No. what I meant was that they don't explain things enough and that when you wanna download the wad creating stuff you need to look for it yourself unless you have an account....

It isn't that the tutorials in the wiki doesn't explain the things enough, it's because of the lack of images, and in some tutorials, there isn't even example wads,and for those who don't speak/understand English, it's hard to understand an only-text tutorial.

And what's the problem on creating an account in the wiki?

it's because of the lack of images, and in some tutorials, there isn't even example wads
Yeah, I know. But that's why the Wiki is interactive. Anyone can upload images and example WADs. It's just that nobody does.

What I did to start mapping was a bit different: I started by reading the WADAuthor tutorial and actually making maps in WADAuthor, then, once I got used to how a map worked, downloaded SRB2DB and transferred all of my knowledge over. Even though the controls are different (and, in some ways, more complex) then WADAuthor, it worked and now I rarely need to use the Wiki. I just mess around in a little map until it works and then transfer it over. If we could port the WADAuthor tutorial over to SRB2DB, it would be nice, but would require some significant rewriting.

I was working on uploading some example wads and i am NOT done yet. But i has been busy. But i am going to upload some more example wads. And PERHAPS some images, but just if i learn how to do it first.

I think that the majority of those who can't understand it are probably a younger age than those writing it. I'm guessing 12-. They probably having trouble understanding many terms, and how to tweak the uses for their own needs. Defining terms would probably make the process more confusing for them, rather than helping them understand it. For them to effectively understand the wiki, you would have to give them literal step by step directions.

Really? When I was 12, I didn't understand much at first, but guess what? I kept trying until I figured it out! And if you're twelve, you should understand English well(unless you don't live in North America, and even then the chances of you knowing English is high).

I think you're right, but some people that age just don't try- that's another problem.
And everyone is lazy sometimes, I guess...

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

I was working on uploading some example wads and i am NOT done yet. But i has been busy. But i am going to upload some more example wads. And PERHAPS some images, but just if i learn how to do it first.
I can tell Katrix doesn't know English that well(could just have been minor errors, if so excuse me), but he tries hard. That's a good example. Everyone should try first...

Last edited:
I have figured out most stuff JUST using the wiki and trying it myself. If you people would make an effort to read and try it, we wouldn't have as many topics that are asking questions that could be answered if you TRY to find it in the wiki. I don't see why so many people complain about not being able do something or find info in the wiki. It's as simple as going to the wiki and searching for it. Geez.

That could be useful that there would be a Tutorial section in Help section. But we have the wiki, even though for beginners for whatever reason, the tutorial could be for them there. This is my opinion :P

Offtopic: Tyrzi, check your PM.

Is it me or people nowadays just want everything served to them on a silver platter?

Although.. visual representation is the most helpful part of a tutorial/guide.

Chaotic Chao, you are wrong, the chances of someone at this age learn english in other country(at least in my) are barely remote, I'm 14 years old and I live in Brazil, and believe me, it's a miracle that I can speak english, even though our country is impregnated by the euro-american culture, mainly in music, but people here are lazy to learn english.

I had some luck, my father is polyglot, I growned listening english at home even though, my english is far from perfect, I just picked up a little :)

You mean you don't learn English in school? What a retarded school system. At least in Germany, English is a mandatory subject from third to last grade.

In some school in Norway you begin with English in 1-2 grade. But inn the school is not my main place for learning English, that is mainly movies and games.

You mean you don't learn English in school? What a retarded school system. At least in Germany, English is a mandatory subject from third to last grade.

We have english lessons but, it's very "hollow" in it's contents because the teachers try to teach us grammar and spelling without teaching the meaning of the words, instead of first, teach the words meanings, this makes the system very inefective.

for example in the 5º year, they ask you to convert interrogative sentences to afirmative sentences, however, even if the student knows what he must do with the sentence, he will fail because he does not know the meaning of the sentence, he can only recognise the "are" "he" "she"... expressions that he wil move from place to achieve the task.

Yes, we have English classes in our public schools, but huh.... The teachers just fails at teaching us "Ingrich". To learn a good English, in Brazil, you need to do an English course(like FISK).

Here's an example of a student that learned english in public schools:

"Hi, my naime is PHCC and me not do speak inglish well, please have patience whith i....."
Also, there are some brazilians here that can serve of example, but it isn't because they're retarded, it's because all the public shools teaches a VERY BAD English:

KnuxD said:
Sonic Team Junior should put leveis Srb2 missing from Dark City and other acts of tier levels,who agree with that? good if I'm talking of course agree.

KnuxD said:
Hey ! You can reply Why Not Can Play Online ?

Already moved the Master Server to Ms.Srb2.Org:28900 but not know why not works.

HELP !
Says:There one Master Server Problem !

now i have improved the text xd

hey hey hey if you do not want to do well until all slopes that the slopes are quite annoying to make a game that has no engine 360.
i remember a guy called sonix in srb2, i will not speak evil of him the more he is cool and also has a name and also sonic_magy black cat, well my username, so is knuckles the echidna in srb2 and many other places, good speaking this wad, i have not got it, but also do not know if low.
And so on.....

Well, I think that you can understand now.... and this is because I hate the school here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back