I don't really play SRB2 SDL2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elyos03

↑↑↓↓←→←→ B A START
Title says it all. I prefer SRB2 DirectDraw because SDL2 NEVER REALLY supports WAV files. Are you with me?

I prefer OpenGL with DirectDraw because some of the "fade-in" framebuffer effects don't work in SDL2 SRB2, as it creates a duplicate of the screen, but in a strange palette.

This is a discussion? *ahem* Srb2dd is there for its reasons, and srb2win is there for its own reasons. the differences are supposed to benefit those with different conditions.

SDL exists because of Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and any subsequent rebrand of the software. The DirectDraw functionality which the Software Renderer used to be reliant upon is deprecated (meaning "abandoned; if we break it by accident, we'll remove it before we fix it") - not changing SRB2 to not rely upon it would mean its days were numbered, any future version of Windows able to kill it with a single accidential patch. As it is, performance is already in the shitter in the DirectDraw build on modern versions of Windows.

I forget exactly why the sound library was changed, but I assume it's because SDL is a single library capable of handling both drawing and sound, versus having two libraries linked at once. Maybe efficiency. I dunno - we lost a few things from that I'd rather have around, but the benefits of SDL as a whole outweigh the loss of different music speeds and sample rates.

also there's a chance 2.2 might ship without a directdraw version, so get in your bug reports about things that don't work nicely before then

I don't use srb2win.exe because it just simply crashes upon loading a save or starting a new game. That, and I like how I can bind Caps Lock to Center View to lock the camera, so I can aim more easily in multiplayer and in third-person.

As a side note, perhaps a Camera Lock function could be added in as a feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back