How To Fix Ear Rape When Running SRB2 under WINE1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
You probably should have tried out each driver one at a time so that you could pinpoint exactly which one works best. Or maybe the default setting already works fine and this is a placebo option (although, to be honest, I would like to know how to reduce sound lag in general for Wine apps).

SRB2 Linux is not broken, its just broken for a small amount of people =P Its not broken for me, so I really can't do anything about the problem right now.

If you haven't noticed, when you launch SRB2 in WINE1.2 (even MFE) that the sound lags, but the SFX and game doesn't lag?

It's because you never enabled the sound drivers in the registry.

The fix to this is quite easy:

1) Go to Applications>Wine>Configure Wine
2) Go to the Audio tab
3) Enable every sound driver that exists (ALSA, OSS, JACK, NAS, EsounD
4) Hardware Acceleration should be Full
5) Default Sample Rate is 48000
6) Bits Per Sample is 16
7) Press OK

Now launch SRB2 and have fun playing!

(And yes, SRB2linux is still broken, so you're pretty much forced to use WINE to play SRB2)

I use Wine and never got ear rape. Sometimes the sounds lag with mine but a few minutes and it won't anymore, and I just turn off the sounds instead.

Sudo Apt-Get Remove SRB2
Sudo Apt-Get Remove SRB2-Data
Sudo Apt-Get Remove XSRB2
Sudo Apt-Get Remove XSRB2-Data

Unix Is Case-Sensitive. Also, you do know that you could uninstall all those packages in just one command, right?

If you don't enable all of these drivers, native Ubuntu sound lags...

But realistically speaking, Wine is probably only using one of those at a time (why would a program output sound to two sound servers at once? That doesn't even make sense). Therefore I recommend that you just try one driver at a time and see which one actually makes a difference. Otherwise your recommendation is hardly helpful at all.

angelXwind, I fear you may have no idea about what you're talking about (at all)...

I have made a PROPER diagnosis, which doesn't involve uselessly reinstalling packages. >_>

I've accidentally been compiling SRB2 without setting custom CFLAGS for the compile, which leaves the SRB2.org server to use its own CFLAGS when compiling the packages, which compiles SSE3 opcodes into SRB2. When a processor without SSE3 support (Pentium 4 processors earlier than the Prescott core and AMD processors using sockets older than socket 939) tries to run this SSE3-dependent SRB2, it will crash with the illegal instruction error when it tries to use SSE3 instructions. Very simple error, but is very easily overlooked, I'm afraid. I've modified my build scripts accordingly, and I will be rebuilding the repositories soon, please sit tight.

Also, this Wine solution is useless, as all of those settings are the default anyway.

The default settings is actually the ALSA driver.

No, the default setting is the sound server in use, which is the way it SHOULD be. Enabling all the drivers at the same time does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to help, it probably even decreases performance.

Not to get sidetracked, but is there any plans for BSD builds of srb2? Does SRB2 use alsa? If so, then forget it lol.

And what about x86_x64 builds? I just use wine on 64bit systems.

Not to get sidetracked, but is there any plans for BSD builds of srb2? Does SRB2 use alsa? If so, then forget it lol.

And what about x86_x64 builds? I just use wine on 64bit systems.

1. You can compile FreeBSD builds of SRB2, get a copy of the latest SVN source code and read the readme.txt to find out how.

2. SRB2 uses SDL for sound, so it can use a wide variety of sound systems, ALSA being one of them under Linux.

3. 64-bit builds of SRB2 can be compiled, but they are notably crashy because SRB2 lacks proper support for it at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back