Big Switch to OpenGL Exclusive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOBODY seems to notice
You just answered your whole post. Nobody (Or the majority) really cares about such small things. I People are more worried about larger problems like the Billboard effect for one; and for two SRB2CB fixes most of those problems (or at least tries).

Last edited:
then Sonic standing perfectly straight on a 45 degree slope just isn't going to look as believable as standing on a 45 degree flight of tiny stairs.
It happens in official Sonic games.
images

I doubt anyone would care if Sonic is standing on a slope.

But like Fawful said, Kalaron is fixing a lot of the issues one by one. It'll only be some time before all the defects are unnoticable.

You just answered your whole post. Nobody (Or the majority) really cares about such small things. I People are more worried about larger problems like the Billboard effect for one; and for two SRB2CB fixes most of those problems (or at least tries).
Whoa whoa whoa. You're saying that the billboard effect is a more pressing concern than no distance lighting or botched colormaps? No offense, but that's totally absurd.

What is with people's obsession with the billboard effect? It's an incredibly trivial issue. As I said before, the alternative is actually weirder looking--do you really want to look down at 90 degrees and see a character's sprite as though he's dead on? By contrast, OpenGL's inability to display distance lighting or proper colormaps is a legitimate and serious shortcoming of the engine.

Last edited:
Whoa whoa whoa. You're saying that the billboard effect is a more pressing concern than no distance lighting or botched colormaps? No offense, but that's totally absurd.

What is with people's obsession with the billboard effect? It's an incredibly trivial issue. As I said before, the alternative is actually weirder looking--do you really want to look down at 90 degrees and see a character's sprite as though he's dead on? By contrast, OpenGL's inability to display distance lighting or proper colormaps is a legitimate and serious shortcoming of the engine.
I dont personally think the billboard effect's a problem, but by the general opinion of people from what I've read, it is.

You mentioned replacing the blockmap. Why?

The current blockmap system seems to have far worse collision than other doom ports, I understand the speed limit is higher in SRB2 but why can I pass through single sided walls just walking into them? And why can I get stuck in some double sided lines without even going fast? These problems need to be fixed.

What do you propose replacing it with?

I'm guessing the blockmap was broken at some point and needs to be changed to how other modern doom ports handle it.

How are you going to handle the player moving super fast? Going 60 FRACUNITs/tic is already really pushing it (for perfect collision, you should only move radius/2 per tic). If you place rings on those slopes where you allow moving 120 FRACUNITs/tic, you'll notice that you run right through them.

Uncapping the framerate.
This way the game can check movement in smaller steps so objects can collide correctly at high speeds. (other things will still operate in 35 FPS logic)

Last edited:
Kalaron: given that you've managed to make sprite shadows remain at a fixed angle, you should have no trouble allowing the billboarding effect to be turned on or off on demand, right? It's just a matter of making the sprite polygon normals always face the viewpoint.

Now that's not a bad idea. Having a GR_BILLBOARD 0/1 command would be a perfect solution...that is, assuming it wouldn't be a problem in netgames if some players had the command on and some had it off. If it was, I suppose the setting could be automatically switched to whatever the admin was using.

Maybe it sounds stupid, but how can I launch game in OpenGL? When I tried to launch CB now it caused terible graphic glitch and i had to restart computer.

Actually, CB should start in OpenGL by default. If it's crashing/glitching your graphics drivers are choking trying to start OpenGL then.

Well, I read the whole discussion from the beginning to understand what you mean.
Have SRB2CB as a game official, is not it ? But there are problems like crashes or graphics problems ? (The brightness, or the Sonic which is standing on 45° or I do not know what else ..)

I can not scan 100% like you because of my language. But I have a remark.

About converting "SRB2CB in software mode" I do not know what type of programming, but it is not possible to have the slopes in software mode ? OpenGL is mandatory ?
You can place the properties of OpenGL in software mode, you can edit the file that controls SRB2CB, copy the programming code which can unlock the slopes mode and other news features which Kalaron added, and paste it into the file that controls SRB2 ?

No recreating CB to software mode won´t be so easy.
EDIT: How can i launch CB via srb2net launcher?

Last edited:
So I managed to get to OpenGL mode. First of all wierd wide black frame appeared around screen, it hasn´t disappeared even after I turned CB off, so I had to restart computer because of that. I also had horrid control lag. When I tried Sonic and Tails only I appeared as Sonic and Tails wasn´t anywhere. I couldn ´t find any test map.
Well great, if OpenGL will be main mode to play SRB2 I will have to say Good Bye.

The Sonic and tails thing is beta (as far as I know) and is broken currently. The test map is a wad that came with it (I don't know the name right off back). You can try windowed mode to solve the black box problem.

We have a very good example here for OpenGL.
For me, the definitive answer is "You can not add SRB2CB to the official SRB2 if we can only play to OpenGL mode"
In other words, the only way is to convert the OpenGL mode with SRB2CB in software mode. So it will be a very very large packet of work for STJr, as Agent Hack said. (I guess it's been said here a hundred times ...)

We must see the reality : some computers can not play in OpenGL, such as that of Yoshi's. We can already scratch the idea to be obliged to play in OpenGL.

Soft mode must mimics OpenGL but with modifications added by Kalaron.
Well, well ... it can only be achieved if the STJr has a lot of time to this project.

Unless if someone finds a flaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back