So, I'm trying to get into level building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got far through the tutorial without error, but this held me back from trying the test level. Here's a picture of my log. the error the Doombuilder gave me said the WAD file could not be found or it's missing.
aNNchra.png

From the looks of it I assume it's saying I'm missing tempmap.wad? I searched through the Data files section of the wiki and couldn't find this? I've tested a map before when I messed around with it. So I came here to see if anyone could have a possible solution.

tempmap.wad is the file that Doom Builder creates when you test a map, with the current working version of the map in question. (It does it like this so that you can test changes before saving them, if you so choose.) It's deleted after the game is closed and focus returns to the editor.

The error message isn't giving a filename, which means it's trying to (erroneously) add a file with a blank filename. Can you check the command parameters the editor's using and make sure there aren't any doubled-up spaces near the -file command or something?

Also, unless you're particularly attached to DB1, there's a more up-to-date map editor for SRB2 based off of GZDoom Builder which is more up-to-date and may be more pleasant to use for editing.

tempmap.wad is the file that Doom Builder creates when you test a map, with the current working version of the map in question. (It does it like this so that you can test changes before saving them, if you so choose.) It's deleted after the game is closed and focus returns to the editor.

The error message isn't giving a filename, which means it's trying to (erroneously) add a file with a blank filename. Can you check the command parameters the editor's using and make sure there aren't any doubled-up spaces near the -file command or something?

Also, unless you're particularly attached to DB1, there's a more up-to-date map editor for SRB2 based off of GZDoom Builder which is more up-to-date and may be more pleasant to use for editing.
Hmm. I remember reading that thread about the ZoneBuilder but was uncertain about switching to it because I was already reading the tutorial on the SRB2 Doombuilder. Is there a ZoneBuilder tutorial on the wiki?

Zone Builder is just a modified version of Doom Builder, so the tutorials should work just fine. I made the switch pretty seamlessly.

Yeah, we should probably actively rename them to be Zone Builder ones. Even though the images aren't from ZB, everything is probably close enough right now either way, and keeping the Doom Builder ones around is actively leading new peeps astray...

Welp, I got Zone Builder and I absolutely love it! I haven't finished reading the SRB2 DoomBuilder tutorial yet; however, I've found the instructions to be pretty easy to perform.

I'm a bit stuck though. http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/SRB2_Doom_Builder_tutorial/Special_effects_and_tagging
I am at the third paragraph describing water and the instructions say to change a control linedef to have a front upper texture of #40A0FFJ. Problem is, I can't seem to find this in my textures given to me. Any idea what to do?

Also, I don't remember it being specified in the tutorial, but does it matter if a control sector's linedefs cross?

EDIT: Oh by the way I skipped this step for now since it seems harmless to do so since it just explains coloring liquid and making it damaging.

Last edited:
Welp, I got Zone Builder and I absolutely love it! I haven't finished reading the SRB2 DoomBuilder tutorial yet; however, I've found the instructions to be pretty easy to perform.

I'm a bit stuck though. http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/SRB2_Doom_Builder_tutorial/Special_effects_and_tagging
I am at the third paragraph describing water and the instructions say to change a control linedef to have a front upper texture of #40A0FFJ. Problem is, I can't seem to find this in my textures given to me. Any idea what to do?

Also, I don't remember it being specified in the tutorial, but does it matter if a control sector's linedefs cross?

EDIT: Oh by the way I skipped this step for now since it seems harmless to do so since it just explains coloring liquid and making it damaging.

Write into the text entry yourself, there is no actual texture for it :p

Linedefs should never cross. It's not that easy to even get them to cross with Zone Builder though, since it will (hopefully) always automatically insert a vertex at the crossing point and split the linedefs.

Linedefs should never cross. It's not that easy to even get them to cross with Zone Builder though, since it will (hopefully) always automatically insert a vertex at the crossing point and split the linedefs.

Okay. Also thanks for going through the wiki guide on the SRB2 Doom Builder and making revisions for the tutorial and all that.

Now back to my original question for the thread. What should I do after saving my map? Do I give it my own name? When I do that, the ZoneBuilder won't let me test it anymore cause of the tempmap thing mentioned in the image of my log.

First of all, make sure you're using Zone Builder v2.3. There was a bug in v2.2 that can cause exactly this kind of problem.

If you are using v2.3 and it's still not working, please go to Tools -> Game Configurations, make sure the SRB2 configuration is selected in the list to the left and then go to the Testing tab. Check the "Customize parameters" checkbox and then post the contents of the "Parameters:" and "Result:" fields here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back