Sudden Lack of Screen Transitions/Fades in OpenGL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crappy Blue

girl in the whirl
Up until recently, whenever I played SRB2 in OpenGL, screens would properly transition and fade for a smooth visual experience, as I assume is supposed to happen? But as of about a week ago, that stopped being a thing that happens. I tried to capture it in gif/apng form but it was starting to be a hassle so here's an Advanced Recreation of my lack of screen transitions through multiple screenshots assembled into a gif.

SNxgpQd.gif

It basically looks exactly like this, just with a brief glimpse at the OpenGL loading screen between two black screens.

I can only think of one thing that could've caused this, but I'm not certain about it. The day it happened was the same day I updated my graphics drivers after neglecting to do so for a few months, which would sound like an obvious culprit if it weren't for the transitions/fades only going away some hours after I'd updated. It wasn't an immediate difference. On top of that, I downgraded my drivers as far back as I could in an attempt to fix it, and nothing came of it.

Can anybody confirm if that's the problem, or supply a different answer? If there's any way I can fix this that doesn't involve downgrading my graphics drivers, that would be great.

For the record, I'm running Windows 8, and my graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660.

I know am 98% certain screen transitions don't work for me in OpenGL in the officially released 2.1.14. I know screen transitions work for me in the current "gl-slopes" branch on the source code hosting place thing.

And in officially released versions between 2.1.0 and 2.1.14, it has been sort of random whether it'd work or not. So most likely, despite it being broken after updating your graphic drivers, it's likely-ish going to be fixed for you with 2.1.15... whenever that's actually ready for release.

For information, between 2.1.0 and 2.1.14 (inclusive), I've had an nVidia GeForce GT 540M, and in 2.1.14 and beyond, I have an nVidia GeForce GTX 970, in both cases updating graphic drivers around once a month.

While i am not sure what would cause this, i do know that changing quality to 24/32 bits(In 3D Card Options after you go to Video Options) brings them back if you want them.
Although you probably want to re-open the game for it to take effect.

Last edited:
If someone who knows OpenGL can figure out what's up here that'd be great, I haven't seen OpenGL fade transitions since support was added for custom fade transitions a number of 2.1 patches ago. =(

This really is a weird issue, anyhow.

While i am not sure what would cause this, i do know that changing quality to 24/32 bits(In 3D Card Options after you go to Video Options) brings them back if you want them.
Although you probably want to re-open the game for it to take effect.

Ah, this fixed it. I can only assume I accidentally changed the quality setting at some point while running through the options menus and didn't notice. Thank you!

This reminds me of emulator glitches in PJ64, where that if the framebuffer was disabled in plugins (e.g Glide64), Conker's Bad Fur Day and Rayman 2 would glitch, if the transitions were attempted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back