Suggestions

This might be a little redundant, but it would be nice if P_DamageMobj($1 [instance of MT_PLAYER only], $2, $3, 0) performs everything related to damaging the player except actually spilling their rings or removing/damaging their shield.

Other values of damage result in special cases for players (instant kill and spectator kill specifically), so this would be useful for performing stun attacks and the like.

Last edited:
Player 2's controls should be Lua accessible if player 2 isn't in a game, using player.cmd2. It'd be useful for remote-controlling objects or other players online, or just to have a few extra buttons for custom moves.

Splatoon-style team colour picking for team-based game modes. The team colour of one team is randomly selected, and then the other team has an "opposite colour" picked automatically. (red i know how much you love splatoon convince everyone else this is a valid use of your time)

Changing skin colours on a per-round basis is probably the easy part- the hard part is shimming the textures and colormaps over so that stuff like Radiant Caverns doesn't end up looking inappropriate for the teams battling it out. It would be weird for random chance to happen such that a red team member needed to run towards the red-textured-base to capture the blue flag.

Splatoon-style team colour picking for team-based game modes. The team colour of one team is randomly selected, and then the other team has an "opposite colour" picked automatically. (red i know how much you love splatoon convince everyone else this is a valid use of your time)

Changing skin colours on a per-round basis is probably the easy part- the hard part is shimming the textures and colormaps over so that stuff like Radiant Caverns doesn't end up looking inappropriate for the teams battling it out. It would be weird for random chance to happen such that a red team member needed to run towards the red-textured-base to capture the blue flag.

And don't forget the team rings colored respectively to represent the team and indicating they can only pick up that ring.

To be fair, the team ring sprites in rings.dta are already green and can take on any colour change you desire, so that would probably be one of the easiest changes to make towards this happening.

To be fair, the team ring sprites in rings.dta are already green and can take on any colour change you desire, so that would probably be one of the easiest changes to make towards this happening.
I thought there were blue rings and red rings sprites in the .srb file. It's been a while since I went through it...

I guess it's somewhat of a minor issue, but the colors right now are a direct reference to the rivalry between Sonic and Knuckles; everything related to it (banners, their faces on the flags themselves) would have to be edited out so you don't get the odd scenario of 'Red Sonics vs Blue Knuckles'

Rings can have any color, but ring boxes have red and blue sprites. Making a new color-changing ring box object shouldn't be too hard.
That said, it might be easier overall to only change the team colors in TDM, and keep the Red vs. Blue theme for CTF.

Also:
SRB2 Wiki said:
Most skin colors currently do not have an "opposite" skin color set.
Literally unplayable

I was operating under the assumption that this would be a seperate list, primarily because red's opposite in the current list is green (for the sake of Knuckles' end sign) and not blue (for the sake of some continuity with current CTF).

This is all kinda a moot point anyways because it's not a good idea. There's a reason red versus blue is the industry standard: they're very distinct, bright, and uncommonly used in the background of most stages. Since the level designer knows what colors are going to be involved, the issue of camouflage is quite controlled. If the colors were randomized, it leads to one team getting a major advantage depending on the theme of the stage. The easiest example would be a team getting orange in an ACZ-themed stage.

The reason Splatoon CAN randomize the team colors is because of the way the game itself is visually designed. Notice how Splatoon's levels all use dull colors for the background so that it's easy to distinguish ink from normal floor, and also notice how the characters themselves and their clothing options naturally contrast with all of the ink color possibilities. This is a very intentional design choice to make sure that no matter what colors the game ends up using, all the important gameplay information is visually distinct and easy to see.

Suggestion: The game should automatically save all of your logs so that way people who like to save them don't have to do it manually. You could just have an option for automatically saving logs in-game so that way the people who don't want the clutter can just turn it off.

Suggestion: The game should automatically save all of your logs so that way people who like to save them don't have to do it manually.

I have a better way to do that. After an awesome play sesh of SRB2, take the log, rename the log to something else so that SRB2 doesn't overwrite the log next time you play (Ex. My Dank Netgame).

I have a better way to do that. After an awesome play sesh of SRB2, take the log, rename the log to something else so that SRB2 doesn't overwrite the log next time you play (Ex. My Dank Netgame).
Well obviously that's an alternative. My point was to add the automatic logging system so that way the people who want to save their logs wouldn't have to do it manually everytime they restart the game.

There's gotta be a better way to handle character abilities; the current method is too restrictive and doesn't take common custom abilities into account. Here's what I've got:

• Charability 1 primarily holds double-jump abilities. Everything except CA_JUMPBOOST stays where it is currently.
  • The value also holds stackable ability flags starting from 2<<6, including spinning while jumping, multiability, jump boost, and running on water.
  • Charability 2 holds spin abilities, many of which can be stacked. They'll include spin-dash, spin-roll, peelout, light-dash, and (maybe) a quick dodge maneuver and Sally Acorn's slide attack. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles have both spin-dash and spin-roll; having only spin-dash lets you use it while moving like in Sonic Adventure, and having only spin-roll gives Sonic 1-like spinning behavior.

Last edited:
Oh I got a suggestion I wanted to ask for weeks ago, but I was lazy to go there.

inb4 someone tells me I'm idiot and that it's already possible...
Would it be possible to allow Lua to save things into a gamedata file?
I mean it would be useful for tons of things in custom mods without requiring exe files etc.

Lua is intended to have it's own subfolder where it will be able to save and load files freely, similar to the replays folder and ghost data. This will also involve allowing Lua to know the currently running mod name (in order to save a "Lua gamedata" file specific to each mod) and the currently running save slot (in order to have it's own singleplayer progression savedata), in addition to just being able to save and load arbitrary files (which may work cross-game with compatible scripts), but the details aren't hammered out yet.

It has also been attempted to tie in custom Lua data to savegames and gamedata directly, but there were concerns about inseparable file bloat potentially being able to render legitimate vanilla saves into uselessly giant blobs several megabytes of "data" large.

stuff about lua going to save stuff
So thanks to power of lua not only be possible to have less complicated save files for srb2 but also because it's lua can it have such things saved as player's last location or if mayor events happend during your saved gameplay to just have it simpler than ever before?

It has also been attempted to tie in custom Lua data to savegames and gamedata directly, but there were concerns about inseparable file bloat potentially being able to render legitimate vanilla saves into uselessly giant blobs several megabytes of "data" large.
Yeah, because Inu is an idiot. Let's start with the fact that if Lua was disabled in the EXE being used, which was one of his major issues with it, the save file in question wouldn't be usable anyway because the mod it was made for wouldn't be playable as intended?

I would like to suggest that Dark City Zone should be kind of like the lost level from Sonic 2: Genocide City, but more kid friendly. E.G: Ghosts, Thunder and Lightning in the BG, Badniks that are Ghosts or Skeletons.etc. Just something I wanted to share.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back