• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

What programs do you use to make your wads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use SRB2 Doombuilder to design levels, XWE to add lumps to levels and make characters, and SLumpEd to merge WADs.

Here is a list of the programs I use for my WADs, along with what I use them for:

• SRB2 Doom Builder - designing maps,
  • Paint - making sprites,
  • XWE - adding lumps to WADs, creating WADs, merging WADs
  • Notepad - making MAINCFGs, OBJCTCFGs, scripts, etc,
  • SOCEdit - making SOCs

- Doombuilder
- XWE
- Idraw Chara Maker
- Notepad
- SocEdit
- MultiFrame.exe

I think that's all... :|

I don't think this belongs in Editing, but here's what I use for WADs.

*SRB2 Doom Builder (I have to boot into XP to use it, though.)
*XWE, running under WINE
*KolourPaint, (Linux only) It pwns MSPaint at it's own game in countless ways. :P

Srb2 DB- levels
XWE- Level Headers, Character Wads
Paint.Net (Windows only)- Editing character wads and textues

TDSunshine said:
Broken link gives you autosaver.

Wrong! In Soviet Russia, link breaks YOU! <bricked>

My own list:
SRB2DB - Levels
XWE - Lumps
Paint.Net - Any sort of image
Modplug Tracker - In the rare event I do anything with music

• Levels: SRB2DB and SRB2WB. Mostly SRB2 DB, but sometimes I might use SRB2 WB for some features like finding thing angle or something.
  • Source Code modification: Dev C++. Even though I do have MSVS 2005, I can not get it to compile SRB2. I don't remember what the cause of it is, but it doesn't really matter now, since I don't touch the code anymore.
  • Images: GIMP. I find it easier to start working with the palette instead of using full color and then convert to the palette. So, I use GIMP and the pencil tool.
  • Texture Lump editing: SLumpED. I like using this for textures because I find it easier to use this. I usually have my images in the palette, so converting to BMP to DOOM GFX isn't a problem.
  • Sprite Lump editing: XWE. I like this if I don't have a image converted to the palette, or if I don't feel like manually changing the offsets all the time.
  • SOC editing: SOCEdit, Notepad ++, and SLumpED. I would use SOCEdit to get the SOC started, and Notepad ++ to fix any errors in the SOC. I use SLumpED to import the soc into the MAINCFG of the WAD.

SRB2 Doom Builder
SLumpEd
Paint
IrfanView (only for putting sprites into the palette)

I do not like using Workbench. The version I got was far too glitchy for serious use. D=

SLumped, for large files and multiple files.
XWE, for character wads and small files.
SRB2 Doom Builder, for merging, splitting, editing, or constructing maps.

SRB2DB. Haven't released anything as that I can't make anything decent right now. Heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back