I noticed something cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

Velocity
If you UPX compress r_opengl.dll, you can get OpenGL mode to run a little bit faster. [At least, in my experience, it was. It might not be very noticeable for you, depending on your graphics card.]

(In case you don't know what I mean, all you have to do is download UPX from http://upx.sourceforge.net/, then drag r_opengl.dll to upx.exe to compress it.)

Heh, what do you know. This does work. I can finally run 1024x768 with minimal lag, whereas it just ate my machine before. Even with precipitation, there's hardly any slowdown anymore. I highly recommend doing this. For those who don't feel the need to download a whole program just to compress some DLL, here's a link to the compressed version. (Credits to Prime_2, who compressed this one)

Linky

Actually, that doesn't surprise me too much. When I was playing with project options for my BlitzzEngine, I found that EXE compression and optimizations made my framerate slightly higher. My guess is that this makes all the functions faster and easier to access, and thus, run better.

Interesting thing. Prime_2 and I tested that. He compressed all his DLLs (Including 3DRend) and joined my netgame. He didn't get a consistency failure or missing WAD problem.

Yeah it runs faster on mine too, but I've also notised that the size is bigger.

Even though 10kb isn't really going to fill up my hard drive any time soon.

My default r_opengl.dll copy runs fine on 1680x1050, but I've tried this, only for taking a look. I noticed that the texture filter changed to bilinear, when I was using trilinear. Anisotropic was changed back to 1 too, making every settings to minimal. Can this explain that "magic efficiency"?

SRB2 1.09.4 doesn't save Texture Filter and antisotropic settings after exiting game. Maybe it'll be fixed later.

Compressed dll doesn't run faster for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back