No Analog control in NIGHTS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing that analog controls were added to multiplayer, it got me wondering as to why the NIGHTS levels lack any form of analog control (even in local play).

DetailedLavishCub.gif

um

I think he means when flying around. Which is something we should probably support, as analog controller support with NiGHTS would be pretty cool.

Oh. Well, I'm pretty sure the player physics take analog control into account... it's just that controller support in the game seems to be dodgy at best. I've had it work just fine with the N64 controller adapter I use, but I guess the same can't be said of all controllers.

In what way would NiGHTS "analog control" even differ from normal control?

I assume he means full 360-degree aim support, instead of the 8-direction keyboard controls. Although while testing my controller (XBox 360 pad), I noticed that there were 16 available directions available in NiGHTS mode.. that's still not the full 360-degree control.

At least, that's what I'm guessing he's on about.

Yeah, I was referring to being able to have full 360 movement (or at least, most if not all the directions the game's engine would allow) when flying instead of being restricted to just 8 directions. Because it's annoying for me when in order to make certain turns down a slanted path of rings or spheres unless you're boosting (such as when you're about to enter the building in TPZ)

I'm sort of surprised it isn't already supported, I found analog controls extremely important to the original Nights, though I suppose it never bothered me much here for some reason.

Like I said earlier, it's not that the game itself doesn't support the full 360-degree movement of analog controllers; it's that the gamepad code is really bad at actually feeding the full analog input into the game, and oftentimes ends up just sending it like a digital input instead.

Yeah, I was referring to being able to have full 360 movement (or at least, most if not all the directions the game's engine would allow) when flying instead of being restricted to just 8 directions. Because it's annoying for me when in order to make certain turns down a slanted path of rings or spheres unless you're boosting (such as when you're about to enter the building in TPZ)

I'll note that when I made that specific area in TPZ, I did so with the idea that using the dash to maintain a specific direction would make chaining the links possible. I guarantee that is a more efficient method than even making full 360 degree control happen would be. The same holds true for a lot of areas. I built many lines of items with the dash locking direction in mind.

I'll note that when I made that specific area in TPZ, I did so with the idea that using the dash to maintain a specific direction would make chaining the links possible. I guarantee that is a more efficient method than even making full 360 degree control happen would be. The same holds true for a lot of areas. I built many lines of items with the dash locking direction in mind.
Using the drill dash to lock your direction is a good tactic, but proper analog for quickly aiming in that direction would also be good. Though I wonder how you'd map it to WASD + mouselook.

Like I said earlier, it's not that the game itself doesn't support the full 360-degree movement of analog controllers; it's that the gamepad code is really bad at actually feeding the full analog input into the game, and oftentimes ends up just sending it like a digital input instead.

In other words, the analog input is not normalized. Mainly because it's old and crusty code.

I'll put a note in to fix this. It might be something else to overhaul if it's too much of a mess.

EDIT: GitHub Issue #38

Last edited:
Don't know why, but would love a wad that makes NiGHTS Super Sonic mode on single player... Think about it.... *FLYING AROUND THE WHOLE MAP*

Don't know why, but would love a wad that makes NiGHTS Super Sonic mode on single player... Think about it.... *FLYING AROUND THE WHOLE MAP*
This would require setting up NiGHTS pathing across every stage in the game, including several for which it clearly would not work.

This would require setting up NiGHTS pathing across every stage in the game, including several for which it clearly would not work.

I think you misunderstood my idea, but that's fine, I don't do specific descriptions.
I meant to say to force Super Sonic (Like in NiGHTS) to fly, like in NiGHTS, and be able to move and fly around, the controls would be one button to switch between flying mode and normal Super Sonic mode. The flying mode would be one button to accelerate, one alternate button to stabilize the flying mode (to look automatically forward and do the NiGHTS brake to stop). The general movement of flying mode would be to press a button to accelerate and the WASD or Arrows to move Super Sonic around. While on normal mode, meh the normal Super Sonic of single player (don't know if removing the standard flying ability of SP Super Sonic is a good idea, you will find it to your liking).

Great idea is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back