• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

[WIP] Sonic Advance styled boss battles

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigalySoftware

~ Loves Gaming & Media =D ~
Update: 30 july 12:31 (GMT+1)
- Added OGG Sonic Advance 2 boss battle music by GEORGERW1 that's less chip-tuney and more fitting to the SRB2 world.
- Added a specific level element to each boss battle, rocks for GHZ, slime for THZ and water for DSZ.
- Still need to add water that floods the room to the highest jumping block in DSZ boss.
- Removed boss spikes for the boss of GHZ
This update also replaces the post with the new screenshots and the new download, of course.

*Oh and, if you can defeat the THZ boss (MAP06), you deserve a crown and 1000 chocolates.
It turned out a bit difficult in my opinion, but it's possible.*

Hi there!

I've come across the idea of creating Sonic Advance styled boss battles with the bosses and textures of SRB2, and with the third dimension too, of course.

For this, I made 3 new maps (MAP03, MAP06 and MAP09), made a long rectangular sector, added a floor scroller with carry objects and a Sonic Advance-ish speed where you have to be in running state to get to the front. Added some rings and the boss of course with what they need like waypoints and such.

I've also added the Sonic Advance boss battle music and disabled thokking for Sonic. Finally, I made the map title to show just "BOSS BATTLE" with the NoZone=1 and act=0 level header parameters.

When you play this, it might look finished, but you'll notice that the Sea Egg is easier to defeat than the THZ one. Also, the water for the Deep Sea boss battle was bugged somehow (kills the player for whatever reason), so I disabled the FOF for now.

I still mean to add some features that the zones have, such as slime in the THZ boss battle and water of course in the Deep Sea one.

Screenshots (wip download below):

2rw51f5.png

29qejp2.png

29pf8g6.png

(WIP)Download[MediaFire]:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1rcscuq044q069j

- Digaly

Last edited:
Nice try, but no. This is a textbook case of taking a gimmick from 2D and assuming that it will automatically work just as well in 3D.

Well, it was more of an experiment to see how well it would work :p It does work a bit, but there's just not enough challenge as in the normal boss battles. I'm aware of that.

Nice try, but no. This is a textbook case of taking a gimmick from 2D and assuming that it will automatically work just as well in 3D.

FuriousFox actually pulled it off somewhat well in Acid Missile. Gloom Metropolis' boss takes place running down a street. It's not perfect, but it was somewhat interesting.

FuriousFox actually pulled it off somewhat well in Acid Missile. Gloom Metropolis' boss takes place running down a street. It's not perfect, but it was somewhat interesting.

Oh, yes, I've played that stage before, I can't remember if the buildings were moving too, but I don't think so, either way, it was indeed somewhat interesting.

I think if my boss battle replacements have that extra detail (eg.: rocks on the sides for GFZ boss battle, pistons and slime for THZ, and what ever for Deep Sea) might make everything a bit more satisfying.

I could also add rings on those sides that the player can collect.

Well, I actually disagree with Fawfulfan. This idea should work in srb2, but it have to be done well.
GFZ boss: Well, there's nothing interesting in this level: it's narrow, cramped, it doesn't have any decorations, and that spikeballs are annoying. I know it's hard make any decorations in this kind of level, but for now it's not very enjoyable.
TCZ boss: Same as above, but that "falling acid" is pretty fun gimmick.
DSZ boss: Again, same as above. Whole room has one texture and no sky, which makes it really ugly.
You might want to do something with phases, where boss changes his attack. Dashing Eggman doesn't make much sense in this kind of level, aswell as the bouncing one. Sea Egg isn't doing anything when there are only 2 hits left. Also, I didn't really like the music. To sum up: put way more work into it or scrap.

Well, I actually disagree with Fawfulfan. This idea should work in srb2, but it have to be done well.
GFZ boss: Well, there's nothing interesting in this level: it's narrow, cramped, it doesn't have any decorations, and that spikeballs are annoying. I know it's hard make any decorations in this kind of level, but for now it's not very enjoyable.
TCZ boss: Same as above, but that "falling acid" is pretty fun gimmick.
DSZ boss: Again, same as above. Whole room has one texture and no sky, which makes it really ugly.
You might want to do something with phases, where boss changes his attack. Dashing Eggman doesn't make much sense in this kind of level, aswell as the bouncing one. Sea Egg isn't doing anything when there are only 2 hits left. Also, I didn't really like the music. To sum up: put way more work into it or scrap.

This is why I'm thinking of adding those side borders with details like rocks and such depending on the level theme like in the Gloom Metropolis Charybdizs was talking about.

I'll try the border thing first, then soc the bosses a bit so that they have a more challenging addition to the level, I'll also remove the spikes. If it doesn't work out in any way I'll just scrap the idea.

*bump* Updated!

Instead of me reading down, just to see an update, then having to scroll all the way to the top, can't you just show the update changes in that post as well? Also bumping after a day.. well, it just doesn't feel right, my opinion. You should give others a chance to see it, and people will reply if they like it or have comments.

Please, allow me to speak. Adding mysterious and random conveyor belts to boss levels only makes them more annoying to the player while presenting little to no extra hazard other than having to go all the way back to the beginning if the player is hit even a little bit.

Let it be known that the levels as they are also make absolutely no physical sense whatsoever.

However, something may be gained from this. The Egg Slimer, in particular, tends to adapt well to these failed conveyor belt attempts. Why? It's due to the fact that it lays traps on the ground instead of attacking the player directly. The Egg Slimer resembles the boss of Gene Gadget in this case. I would suggest trying to do something more like that and lower the conveyor belt speed rather than trying to tack the gimmick onto the other bosses.

But hey, before you listen to me, I want to see Brak on a conveyor belt.

Well, I would say this idea came first from you but something like this has been successfully done already. Check 742mph's pack for Flux Satellite. Trust me, that is way better than these images I've seen. So I would say, scrap this and if you want to do that, do it in a level pack. Why? Really, do you really think this would actually get through the release system if the levels are only boss levels and if it's poorly done? Focus on the level first then the music.

Oh, yes, I've played that stage before, I can't remember if the buildings were moving too, but I don't think so, either way, it was indeed somewhat interesting.
It was before polyobjects in SRB2 so the buildings didn't move, but the textures on them did scroll so it had the same effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back