Sonic in SMG2!? (False Rumor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miyosaki

Back from the dead
Well it seems we got some odd news about SMG2 ( Super Mario Galaxy 2)

http://www.destructoid.com/rumor-sonic-the-hedgehog-playable-in-mario-galaxy-2-162746.phtml

UK magazine Ngamer has posted an interesting tweet on Twitter this afternoon, making a rather bold claim that not only comes right out of the left field and has left us all a bit dazed and confused here at Nintendo Life Towers.

We should stress this is currently deep in the realms of rumour territory for now, with no confirmed word from Sega or Nintendo, so please take it with a rather large pinch of salt for the time being.

Here's the Tweet in question:
Quote: We've just had some shocking news from an inside source at Nintendo: Sonic will be a playable character in Mario Galaxy 2! Wha?
They sound about as surprised as we are! As always we'll keep you posted if the blue speedster and the world's favourite plumber do indeed join forces outside of the Olympics.
Now of course, this is most likely a Rumor due to no word of it from Sega or Nintendo...BUT! What if it does end up happening?

DISCUSS?

Would be nice to see him in the game, though I would say a 5 - 10/100 of this happening. Though I'am interested because of the source it came from. But these are my questions.

.How would Sonic fit in a Mario game environment e.g. his speed & vice versa. I don't think his platforming would be too much of a problem.

.His Moveset & how the effects of the powerups affect Sonic.

.What role is he given? Cameo, or some role which to why he is playable.

Sounds like a cameo to me. Probably is somewhat likely, I mean, Sonic and Mario have been in a few games together. The fans like it, Nintendo will talk business to make it happen.

This screenshot was just leaked...

smg2.png

That looks like Wizard...

Of course it's Wizard.

..."Green Hill Galaxy"? This had BETTER be real, or I'm probably not going to enjoy SMG2 that much. Well, that's a stretch, but I'll still be ticked.

However, although I can buy that Sonic might get a cameo, albeit with more than a touch of skepticism, I'm not gonna believe Sonic's playable until I get a LOT more confirmation.

Last edited:
sonic_mariogalaxy2.jpg

super-mario-galaxy-2-wii-005.jpg

Debunked. Sorry to crush your hopes and dreams.

I'm pretty sure the whole thing was meant as a joke, but I guess some people actually took it seriously and raised the hoax to "rumor" status.

Next up: I create a hoax of Orange Yoshi doing loop-de-loops in Sonic CD.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't these the same guys who first started the rumour of Sonic being a playable character in Super Smash Bros Melee? Or am I thinking a different Ninty mag here?

All the same, given that Sega and Nintendo have pretty good relations as of late I can definently see them giving Sonic a small cameo in a galaxy or something, but no way in hell would it make a playable character. Gameplay styles are just too different to each other, and seeing as Mario is typically designed for slow-paced platforming, trying to throw Sonic speed in there would probably result in more unforseeable deaths than even Unleashed.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't these the same guys who first started the rumour of Sonic being a playable character in Super Smash Bros Melee? Or am I thinking a different Ninty mag here?

That was Nintendo Power.

I doubt this rumor is true. If it is, great, probably won't make me buy the game though.

..unless it's REALLY awesome

If true, I'm jumping on the game

If False, I'll probably buy it later on, maybe used.

That was Nintendo Power.
Actually, it was one of EGM's April Fool's Day jokes. Probably one of their best, too. 20 kills in Cruel Melee, lulz.

Also, am I the only person here who doesn't WANT to see Sonic in Mario games? Crossovers are fine for gimmicky minigame compilations, but this is a Mario game, not a Sonic game. I don't want to see them try to justify a crossover here.

Also, am I the only person here who doesn't WANT to see Sonic in Mario games? Crossovers are fine for gimmicky minigame compilations, but this is a Mario game, not a Sonic game. I don't want to see them try to justify a crossover here.
I agree with you on this one.
I also don't know story-wise, how you could put Sonic in there out of random.

You're not alone, Mystic. Out of all the crossovers, I think Mario + Sonic is the dumbest and most clichéd. Really, the Mario universe is fine as it is. Sonic can stay out of it.

1. I didn't make that.
2. That Shop sucks, what the heck are you talking about? The guy morphed one of Yoshi's shoes into Mario's foot, did a terrible job in general of removing Yoshi from the picture (lol clone brush), and the picture of Sonic he pasted in doesn't even conform to the lighting of the scene. I can tell by the pixels.

That image was from a scene in the trailer, of course it can't be where Sonic is.

I'm not saying he IS in the game, just that it was obvious if he was he wouldn't be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back