• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

[SP] [ALPHA] Green Factory Zone, Act 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, guys!

This is the first level with which I've actually got to this point. It's a 2D mode level, and it's very, and by that I mean very, unfinished. (You may as well notice that it is awfully short!)
First of all, I'd like to get some suggestions on how could I improve and turn this into a stage that's actually enjoyable (the only thing I've managed so far is to get the testers to rage!)
It is preferable that you play the level as Sonic, because there are no Tails/Knuckles paths so far, and you may as well fly over the level as Tails for now.

Screenshots:
http://imgur.com/a/gar0p#0 (IMGUR Photo Album)

Download for Alpha:
http://www.mediafire.com/?5fcc2x491b2m4yv (scr_greenfactoryalpha.wad, 7.91 MB, blame the MP3 music)

Known Bugs/Features:
- Some textures look very.. tiled!
Yes, I will fix that by replacing them with, ehm, better textures.
- Why do the textures replace the Greenflower ones?!
I couldn't be able to get Doom Builder 2 to use the textures with other names! They just wouldn't load. If anyone would be able to help me with this, I would be very happy.
- ..why did you use rings and monitors as decorations? We'll never be able to get a perfect bonus!
Because.
- Some textures look very ugly!
See 'Some textures look very.. tiled!'
- There's something I don't like about this map..
Write a post, describe your problems, give suggestions..
- Where is the factory?
Wait for Act 2.

Last edited:
Doom Builder 2 probably won't recognise new textures until you put its own file as a resource firstly. And also, did you follow the Custom Textures Tutorial when making your textures? Just look over it if you're having trouble.

Just looking at it, the level looks a bit weird for a 2D level.The fact there are curves and such along with rings along them implies the level was designed as a 3D level but then forced into a 2D level. It takes away from the main level.
Walls are also angled against the player which, with large walls mostly, cause issues in 2D mode. For example, Knuckles climbing on an angled wall can sometimes force him off the main plane.You may want to flatten out the walls in those areas and curve them when they're out of the player's reach.

You say "Wait for Act 2." when we ask where the factory, but then this means that Act 1 has no relation to the name other than Green. If Act 2 is entirely a factory (I hope it won't be), then it will look like you've just grabbed two random levels and mashed them together lazily, even if you haven't. To solve this, you could put factory related objects in the background like pipes, Techno Hill flowers or anything you can think of, it's your decision. If you don't, then until Act 2 is released, this will be a strange map for people to play.

I'll give a more in depth review when I play it.

Edit: Oh yeah, before I play it, you should compress your music in Audacity or something if you want to lessen the file size.

Doom Builder 2 probably won't recognise new textures until you put its own file as a resource firstly. And also, did you follow the Custom Textures Tutorial when making your textures? Just look over it if you're having trouble.

Ah, I see. Thanks! I forgot about some of the steps...

Just looking at it, the level looks a bit weird for a 2D level.The fact there are curves and such along with rings along them implies the level was designed as a 3D level but then forced into a 2D level. It takes away from the main level.

I tried to make it have a 3D feeling, yet 2D gameplay.. Is it too bad? :(

Walls are also angled against the player which, with large walls mostly, cause issues in 2D mode. For example, Knuckles climbing on an angled wall can sometimes force him off the main plane.You may want to flatten out the walls in those areas and curve them when they're out of the player's reach.

I shall do that for the next version.

You say "Wait for Act 2." when we ask where the factory, but then this means that Act 1 has no relation to the name other than Green. If Act 2 is entirely a factory (I hope it won't be), then it will look like you've just grabbed two random levels and mashed them together lazily, even if you haven't. To solve this, you could put factory related objects in the background like pipes, Techno Hill flowers or anything you can think of, it's your decision. If you don't, then until Act 2 is released, this will be a strange map for people to play.

Act 1 is yet unfinished - I will add factory parts, so don't worry.

AtomicRobotnik said:
This map is pretty good and I liked how it looked. However, it will be good if players will be able to reach that unacessible rings with... diagonal spring, for example? Also yes, it's really short. Looks like it was inspired by SG Planet Wisp, so if it will be extended, how about adding some things from there? That "under construction" area comes to mind.

You did? Thank you!
Diagonal springs? I shall try to use them, but I've got some problems with them... how do I make it so that I can stop the player in the middle of his path? Should I use an invisible, solid FOF?
And yes, it was inspired by SG Planet Wisp. Thanks for the idea! :)
(And yes, it will be extended. I have mentioned that it is unfinished.)

Okay, played through. Interesting gimmicks and you have a good eye for detail in background elements and you try to combine background with playground. This is where it gets a bit annoying.
Near the end of the level, I lost a life due to the fact that the entire platform was angled with some of it over a pit and some of it over solid ground. It's hard to explain. I was aiming for the middle of what I thought was the platform but ended up on the edge. If this game had a better rendering system or something, it would be a lot easier, but would it be possible to add a bit of like a raised area on places that are actually on the track?
There were also areas where you combined fans and spikes. These were quite clever, but easy to complete since you could run over full speed and sail over.
The level, although it did include jumping a bit, felt a bit flat and hold-righty. A bit more elevation and maybe some moving platforms will fix this.

I hope you aren't upset by my comments, I usually have negative comments since I go from perfect down. If you can fix confusion between background and playground and make a few more platforming areas, this would be a good level.
Oh yeah, level name. It makes sense at the end, but it's a bit anticlimatic for something in the same of the level to have absolutely no effect on it. That's all I have to say.

Your comments aren't upsetting me at all! I'm quite glad that I am getting comments in the first place.
The level shall be extended, so don't worry. As soon as I get the grasp of those troublesome moving platforms and think up some new areas, I will try to double the size of the act (or maybe even triple) and turn it into an enjoyable experience. ^.^

There were also areas where you combined fans and spikes. These were quite clever, but easy to complete since you could run over full speed and sail over.

Yes, I was thinking of adding some Jetty-Syn Gunners there... It wouldn't be as much 'run over full speed and sail over' then, when you start knocking blindly into enemies! :T
I'm trying to make this into a level that's not TOO speedy. I want the player to be careful about danger - which might be less than 200 fracunits away from him!

Yes, I was thinking of adding some Jetty-Syn Gunners there... It wouldn't be as much 'run over full speed and sail over' then, when you start knocking blindly into enemies! :T
I'm trying to make this into a level that's not TOO speedy. I want the player to be careful about danger - which might be less than 200 fracunits away from him!
The most important rule for 2D maps: Every hazard should be easily visible before you approach it. Therefore, Jetty-syn Gunners are an awful idea.

Yes, I've added some for testing and I didn't like it. At all.
I'm going to find another way of slowing down the fan section.
For now, I've started adding 'factory parts' to the level in order to make it fit the name more. When I 'refine' this part, I shall expand the act.

The level looks very good TheBetaFox.

I like the textures you set for it. And detail for it as well.

Now may I ask. Is there more then just 2D mode in this level? Since by adding 3D mode into it. Will add one hell of a variety in that level of yours. With those textures.

And just make sure you don't over do it with the bots and hazards in that map. Since I played a lot of 2D maps now. And I notice the flaw of to much Bots walking in one area. And then the overdo hazards. As in spikes or slime or lava.

So I really do hope to see this level finish sometime soon TheBetaFox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back