XWE custom things help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chans13

Im making a texture wad with some textures and things and Im getting close to finishing but I don't know how to make them.Please help.
I have looked all over the wiki and have found nothing.

ok,Ill explain this as clear as I can. Im making a wad that people can use in srb2 level editors for level making and I've finished doing the floor stuff (which I've been calling textures) and now Im Making my own THING (in XWE).Its picture is of a small man about the players size or a marbel etc.
Do you see what Im saying? A THING you can use in level editing.

You cannot make new things without coding (whether it be SOCs or just hard coding such as C/C++). You can make the graphics, but without the coding, you can't use it for editing. Also, I'm still not sure what you mean. You know a THING is basically an ITEM, ENEMY, or any GAME OBJECT, right? A TEXTURE is what tiles along the walls, and FLATS are what tiles on the ground.

TEXTURES & FLATS are done but I would like to make my own SCENERY THING like a BERRY BUSH or a FLOWER. See?

So In XWE I've put:

NAME: TYPE:

S_START MARKER
BASS SPRITE
S_END MARKER

And it dosn't show up in the choise of the THINGS PROPERTIES whene I right click on a THING I've placed.
Like:

+ PLAYER STARTS
+ RINGS AND RELATED ITEMS
+ ENEMIES
- SCENERY
Bush
Berry Bush
Sun Flower
Orange Flower
Budding Flower
"My thing should be around here"
Dead Flower
Etc.

How do you soc then? If you need to use "srb2 SOC Editor" that comes with the srb2 folder then I cant because mine dosn't work.If there Is another one then plz tell me the name of it.

EDIT:It says Run time error 53 whene I click on a button.

It works fine. You need to extract the source code, then use the box on the left to navigate to the source code.

As for how to SOC, trial an error. Keep trying, and going crazy over the errors.

Ash said:
Chans13 said:
Im making a texture wad with some textures and things and Im getting close to finishing but I don't know how to make them.

How could you be close to finishing if you lack the knowledge to make what you're working on?

Click here for texture help; the wiki is very unfinished.

Someone doesn't know what he's talking about.
http://srb2wiki.sepwich.com/wiki/Custom_Textures_Tutorial
That covers all the stuff that that topic covers, and covers it using another editor as well.

As for your claim in "Wiki is very unfinished", it currently has all the information that every other public source has. I personally ported over the whole Specials list, almost all sector pages have been rewritten totally, and the things pages (save a few NiGHTS things) have complete pages. Linedefs aren't "done" in the sense that they have real content, but what's on the Specials List is there, and we have a fair amount of tutorials, such as one explaining XWE's menu functions, an SRB2DB tutorial, a texture tutorial, a button tutorial, Two NiGHTS tutorials, one that gives the basic information, and another that delves into the technicalities of NiGHTS levels, and so-on.
Make sure what you're saying is accurate before you actually say it. :/

Dark Warrior said:
what's on the Specials List is there
Erm, the specials list has such a freakishly small description for each linedef that pulling open a certain linedef takes less time to load the page than the SRB2 wiki.

ok.I've installed the source code and SOCEdit works fine now but I still dont know how to make the thing from my pictures.Basicly I don't know how to use SOCEdit.

BlueZero4 said:
Dark Warrior said:
what's on the Specials List is there
Erm, the specials list has such a freakishly small description for each linedef that pulling open a certain linedef takes less time to load the page than the SRB2 wiki.
Which I noted, linedefs are not done. Nor close. I don't know what is causing the insane page load issues on Wiki, something I have to ask Digiku about if he ever shows up...

Dark Warrior said:
Ash said:
Chans13 said:
Im making a texture wad with some textures and things and Im getting close to finishing but I don't know how to make them.

How could you be close to finishing if you lack the knowledge to make what you're working on?
Click here for texture help; the wiki is very unfinished.

Someone doesn't know what he's talking about.
http://srb2wiki.sepwich.com/wiki/Custom_Textures_Tutorial
That covers all the stuff that that topic covers, and covers it using another editor as well.

As for your claim in "Wiki is very unfinished", it currently has all the information that every other public source has. I personally ported over the whole Specials list, almost all sector pages have been rewritten totally, and the things pages (save a few NiGHTS things) have complete pages. Linedefs aren't "done" in the sense that they have real content, but what's on the Specials List is there, and we have a fair amount of tutorials, such as one explaining XWE's menu functions, an SRB2DB tutorial, a texture tutorial, a button tutorial, Two NiGHTS tutorials, one that gives the basic information, and another that delves into the technicalities of NiGHTS levels, and so-on.
Make sure what you're saying is accurate before you actually say it. :/

That's nice. You have lots and lots of information, but is it even close to being completely finished? Watch how you interpret what I say, because I never said it lacked information, but it is incomplete. I mean, I checked the specials on the wiki to see if maybe I was a bit out of line for saying that, but it turns out I wasn't. A one sentence description of what it does and how to use it? You can only fit so much information in one sentence.

As for what you put in the links, you just put a lot of tutorials. A wiki is an encyclopedia, and encyclopedias are used for reference. I don't see great measures being taken to make lists of the many aspects used in the actual editing of the game. The types' lists are horrendous! You sure as hell know that the wiki will be used by the experienced and inexperienced, and yet all I see is incredibly thorough tutorials; no actual reference there -- completely useless to those who already know how. Although there isn't THAT much to list, you'd figure that the little bit that needs to be listed for reference would be perfected and complete, but it isn't! You can have all of the tutorials for WAD editing, Doom, SRB2, and hell, C++, but it'll never be complete that way.

I mean, you said yourself,
Dark Warrior said:
Which I noted, linedefs are not done. Nor close.
If one thing is undone, then the entire wiki is still incomplete and unfinished.

Note: I don't understand why you couldn't use the private message system to tell me that. Does everyone here have to publicize everything? Even matters that don't have anything to do with the topic? I know everyone likes proving eachother wrong, but publicizing it doesn't exactly make you gain anything (e-penis points do not count), but instead makes (or is intended to make) the other person lose on the far end of the table. As for me publicizing this message, well, a balance is needed.

Ash said:
That's nice. You have lots and lots of information, but is it even close to being completely finished? Watch how you interpret what I say, because I never said it lacked information, but it is incomplete. I mean, I checked the specials on the wiki to see if maybe I was a bit out of line for saying that, but it turns out I wasn't. A one sentence description of what it does and how to use it? You can only fit so much information in one sentence.
Again, like I said, the linedefs are incomplete, but they're really the only area that is. Except possibly SOCs. Now, I wouldn't mind if you said Wiki is incomplete, but you see, you're saying it without contributing. Meaning you're in no position to be calling it complete or incomplete.

ash said:
As for what you put in the links, you just put a lot of tutorials. A wiki is an encyclopedia, and encyclopedias are used for reference. I don't see great measures being taken to make lists of the many aspects used in the actual editing of the game. The types' lists are horrendous! You sure as hell know that the wiki will be used by the experienced and inexperienced, and yet all I see is incredibly thorough tutorials; no actual reference there -- completely useless to those who already know how. Although there isn't THAT much to list, you'd figure that the little bit that needs to be listed for reference would be perfected and complete, but it isn't! You can have all of the tutorials for WAD editing, Doom, SRB2, and hell, C++, but it'll never be complete that way.
Uh, the pages have been made for both. The starting paragraphs in the sectors pages, for example, all state just what the effect is supposed to do, then delves into the aspects of how to make them & include an example wad. Which seems pretty "complete" for a page to me. Making it a source for both old and new users is the primary goal. I pointed out the tutorials because they're bigger and worth more mention. But I am also proud of the steps the things and sector pages have gone through and the position that nearly all of them are on now. Is it "finished"? No. But to the point you seem to be alluding to? Not really. It's a very good resource.

Ash said:
I mean, you said yourself,
Dark Warrior said:
Which I noted, linedefs are not done. Nor close.
If one thing is undone, then the entire wiki is still incomplete and unfinished.
Which I acknowledged, but that is hardly the point of the Wiki, to be solely information pages on Linedefs. And again, while it makes it unfinished, it does not make it as unfinished as you alluded to. If it were so incomplete and spotty, a comment like that would be needed. But it isn't, it's getting there, and your whining that it isn't finished isn't helping.

Ash said:
Note: I don't understand why you couldn't use the private message system to tell me that. Does everyone here have to publicize everything? Even matters that don't have anything to do with the topic? I know everyone likes proving eachother wrong, but publicizing it doesn't exactly make you gain anything (e-penis points do not count), but instead makes (or is intended to make) the other person lose on the far end of the table. As for me publicizing this message, well, a balance is needed.
Because you felt the need to publicly bash an excellent resource, I felt the need to prove that it is a good resource worth using. Nothing more, nothing less.

Okay, to make this a long story short in order to END THIS (because it'll never end if two parties keep trying to challenge eachothers' intelligence with exceedingly long and irrelevant paragraphs);
Dark Warrior said:
Because you felt the need to publicly bash an excellent resource, I felt the need to prove that it is a good resource worth using. Nothing more, nothing less.
Did I ever say it was a bad resource to use? No. Thend. As a matter of fact, you can see that I hinted out it was actually quite thorough...

Look, if it'll make this stop; you win. Leave me alone, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back