SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 06-23-2011   #1
742mph
My work is never done yet

Default A SRB2 level generator?

What would you guys think if a level generator for SRB2 were created? Would it be a good idea in the long run? I have a feeling it would make the Releases system either much more complicated or impossible. It would be revolutionary, yes, but in a good or bad way?
742mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011   #2
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Your thread makes no sense at all. Do you mean a level editor, as Doom has plenty of those, some of which are even hacked to support SRB2 better? Do you mean a random stage generator, as those generally suck? Do you mean a random string of words with no meaning?

I really can't tell.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011   #3
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 742mph View Post
What would you guys think if a level generator for SRB2 were created? Would it be a good idea in the long run?
I know that Doom level generators are absolutely frowned upon because the levels they create are very small and simplistic. SRB2 generally has larger stages than Doom, so any SRB2 level that a generator could create would be way too small.

But that's just the smallest issue. Level generators can't design. They can only create at random. A level generator might be able to create the layout of a stage like Meadow Match, but it would be utterly unable to decide where the items should be placed. Anything beyond that scale, even something as simple as Sapphire Falls, would be impossible to create. Not to mention that a machine couldn't think of the riverbed gimmick that the stage revolves around.

Single player stages are of course out of the question.

Quote:
I have a feeling it would make the Releases system either much more complicated or impossible.
It would be very easy to tell a generated stage from a humanly made one, so it wouldn't be any problem. I'm also pretty sure that if such a level generator was made, anybody who submits a generated stage would be banned or at least infracted.

Quote:
It would be revolutionary, yes, but in a good or bad way?
In an absolutely terrible way. But don't worry. First of all, nobody will make such a thing, and second of all, even if somebody does, it won't produce anything playable.
MascaraSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011   #4
Steel Titanium
Developer

Even if that did happen, It won't add needed things like Player start.
Old 06-24-2011   #5
742mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
Your thread makes no sense at all. Do you mean a level editor, as Doom has plenty of those, some of which are even hacked to support SRB2 better? Do you mean a random stage generator, as those generally suck? Do you mean a random string of words with no meaning?

I really can't tell.
Basically, I mean a random level generator. And I agree with SpiritCrusher, it isn't a good idea at all, at least if it's bad at creating levels, which it most likely will be if it ever gets created.
Old 06-24-2011   #6
trentdude2
Back from the dead

Then whats the point of making a thread based off of a horrible idea?
Old 06-24-2011   #7
742mph

I wanted to hear other people's opinions.
Old 06-24-2011   #8
Fred
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentdude2 View Post
Then whats the point of making a thread based off of a horrible idea?
Wow, surprised to see some sanity around here.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011   #9
Ritz
cornstar

a441 coded a random level generator once. JTE's the only one who'd have the source these days, and I'm pretty sure he lost it last time I asked. I couldn't get it running, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't anything impressive!
Old 07-02-2011   #10
Charybdizs
it's lamp for supper, kids
Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritCrusher View Post
But that's just the smallest issue. Level generators can't design. They can only create at random. A level generator might be able to create the layout of a stage like Meadow Match, but it would be utterly unable to decide where the items should be placed. Anything beyond that scale, even something as simple as Sapphire Falls, would be impossible to create. Not to mention that a machine couldn't think of the riverbed gimmick that the stage revolves around.

Single player stages are of course out of the question.
Technically, given infinite time, and infinite possibilities, it could create an amazing, if not perfect map. ;D
Old 07-02-2011   #11
Kopper
Does not use Sonic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charybdizs View Post
Technically, given infinite time, and infinite possibilities, it could create an amazing, if not perfect map. ;D
While I'm at it, I'll round up an infinite amount of monkeys, give them typewriters, and have them write both the Complete Works of Shakespeare, but also a movie that makes Citizen Kane look like crap.
Kopper is offline   Reply With Quote