SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Off-Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2013   #1
zykov eddy

Default Green Flower remake in STH3D

Hello everyone. My name is Eddy and I'm a game developer from Russia. Years ago I discovered a Sonic fan game called Sonic Robo Blast 2 and since then it became my favorite fan game ever. I've played it a lot and it left a big impact on me. Before I discovered SRB2, I started making my own fan game simply called Sonic The Hedgehog 3D, and just like SRB2, it uses a classic FPS engine from the nineties. SRB2 soon became one of my main sources of inspiration, but rather than trying to remake old Sonic games in 3D, I tried to combine the classic formula with the elements of Sonic Adventure series. Some days ago, after years of development, I finally released v 0.3.

I've always wanted to do some kind of tribute to SRB2, so I decided to remake the first act of Green Flower in my game. Since Doom engine and Build are pretty similiar to each other, the result was pretty interesting. To make the level I used sources from my game, but the music is taken from SRB2. I didn't use any converting software to do the level, it's all made by using screenshots.

I know, it's probably nothing special, but I just wanted to share this thing with you. Thank you Sonic Team Junior for making such great game!

Video from the level:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKnW6zQNzX0

If you're interested, I can give you the links to the game and the level.

Update:

STH3D

The level

Last edited by zykov eddy; 04-10-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: adding links
zykov eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013   #2
Profesor Oak
Permanently Banned

That does look good. Though I saw this a while ago.
Profesor Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013   #3
LightspeedX
aka PrismaticAngel

Hmm, I've seen this game on Youtube before but I couldn't find any links to it. It looks quite interesting to me.
<toaster> i love you lightspeed
LightspeedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013   #4
zykov eddy

Added download links in the first post.
Old 04-10-2013   #5
WellDoneSnake
Formerly "TSDude"

I know you I've played your games and they are pretty cool, this was apart of that sage expo wasn't it. Is it true that sth3d is suppose to be srb3?
EDIT: Hey I did not know that you updated sth3d, I still got the 2012 one.

Last edited by WellDoneSnake; 04-10-2013 at 08:03 PM.
WellDoneSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #6
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

this just has to be good timing. I'm just about ready to release a propless version of Green Flower for Gmod
Old 04-11-2013   #7
MrDonoB

This is great! Maybe you should make act 2!
MrDonoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #8
WellDoneSnake
Formerly "TSDude"

It looks like a good replica of the real srb2 level, shame that there isn't any 3d crawlas but this is still good.
Old 04-11-2013   #9
Scizor300
footure semen

• Your sense of scale is flawed, to put it simple. It's very evident in the beginning in that the two steps at the beginning take up half, if not more than half, of the player's vertical height. This also presents an issue with the step-up being incredibly jarring.
  • The coloring is very muted and as a result looks very boring. Brighten and saturate the textures so it looks more in-tune with SRB2's style. I'd also suggest making the textures less realistic or just importing the textures from SRB2.
  • The controls and animations look very stiff. You turn and accelerate near-instantly, and at times your model goes completely flat at the beginning of a jump.

<+Scizor300> i got kicked from #srb2fun from enraging rob with terrible christmas songs
<+Scizor300> my life is complete
sciz 4 stjr: i'm gonna make america cool again
Scizor300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #10
WellDoneSnake
Formerly "TSDude"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scizor300 View Post
  • Your sense of scale is flawed, to put it simple. It's very evident in the beginning in that the two steps at the beginning take up half, if not more than half, of the player's vertical height. This also presents an issue with the step-up being incredibly jarring.
  • The coloring is very muted and as a result looks very boring. Brighten and saturate the textures so it looks more in-tune with SRB2's style. I'd also suggest making the textures less realistic or just importing the textures from SRB2.
  • The controls and animations look very stiff. You turn and accelerate near-instantly, and at times your model goes completely flat at the beginning of a jump.
Sorry maybe I shouldn't say it's a replica, but it still looks like a better gfz act1 map.
After all it is a different engine and maybe these textures were a replacement for the normal ones.
Old 04-11-2013   #11
zykov eddy

I don't see any big flaws with the scale, to be honest. It may be not the same as the original, but I wasn't going to do the perfect 100% replica in the first place. Same thing for the coloring, I wasn't planning to make any new textures for the level.
Old 04-12-2013   #12
VelocitOni
KartKrew Dev

To be honest, his points still stand. Intents at perfect replica or not.
Old 04-12-2013   #13
SSNTails
What part of 'RETIRED' don't you understand?

Hi Zykov, I remember your project when it first showed up at SAGE! It's really cool to see you here on the forums and how you ported GFZ into your game. :)

It would be cool to see you add slopes to the level in areas where it might make sense.

To make your life easier, I remember there being a WAD2Duke converter utility that could take Doom maps and convert them to Build format. That would at least make it easy to get the basic structure in.

Last edited by SSNTails; 04-12-2013 at 01:12 AM.
SSNTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #14
zykov eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNTails View Post
Hi Zykov, I remember your project when it first showed up at SAGE! It's really cool to see you here on the forums and how you ported GFZ into your game. :)

It would be cool to see you add slopes to the level in areas where it might make sense.

To make your life easier, I remember there being a WAD2Duke converter utility that could take Doom maps and convert them to Build format. That would at least make it easy to get the basic structure in.
Thanks for the reply SSNTails! It really means alot to me.

Nice idea. I might add some slopes and crawlas models when I'll have some time. Maybe I can also fix the scale if it looks really flawed (although I enjoy the current scale).

I was thinking about using WAD2Duke, but turns out this thing doesn't support Doom Legacy format.

Last edited by zykov eddy; 04-12-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-12-2013   #15
Shadow Hog
Developer

Why wouldn't it? It's not like we added/removed flags or switched to Hexen-format maps or UDMF or anything. It wouldn't show 3D floors/FOFs, but those can be added in by hand.

(...says the guy who has a fair bit of Doom engine experience, but not much for the Build engine...)
Shadow Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #16
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

If Duke can handle it's own version of FOF, then yea, they can be added in no problem.
(Has zero experience mapping for Duke 3d)
Old 04-13-2013   #17
WellDoneSnake
Formerly "TSDude"

@Zykov Eddy: I'm not sure if you have used the doom builder engine/srb2 doom builder engine even though you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zykov Eddy
Since Doom engine and Build are pretty similiar to each other
this could mean you might have some experience, anyway what I want to ask is if making the levels is the same when using both engines?
Old 04-13-2013   #18
zykov eddy

Doom builder is the editor, not the engine.
Build and Doom both use sector system, so yes, they're pretty similiar. I've seen some screenshots from Doom Builder and it looks similiar to Build editor, with 3D/2D editing modes, controls and so on. Build is slightly superior, but the Doom port called Doom Legacy (which SRB2 runs on) allows the developers to make platforms over platforms (like this), which the old Build is not capable of. Though, the latest Build port called EDuke 32 allows to make platforms too.
WAD2Duke converter was programmed when Duke Nukem 3D came out, and it wasn't updated since then. This is probably the reason why it doesn't convert the Doom Legacy maps, because of the platforms.

Last edited by zykov eddy; 04-13-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-13-2013   #19
WellDoneSnake
Formerly "TSDude"

I know that the Build editor does not do Floor over Floor (FOF) it instead does Room over Room (ROR) or True Room over Room (TROR).
Is it easier or possible for anyone to use Build Editor.
Old 04-14-2013   #20
zykov eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar View Post
Huh, didn't expect to see this project here. It has come quite a way since its beginnings from 2009, although the only level to be added throughout all those years is Fuel Station Act 1. Kinda disappointing. Oh well, not sure if I'm supposed to comment on the game itself or the level, but I guess it's the latter, so:

As everyone already said, while the port itself is faithful, it doesn't really work with this game's control scheme. It's just way too awkward and too precise, and doesn't really work with platforming. (and while GFZ1 on its own doesn't have much, the actual levels in the game do, and at times with these controls they can be unnecessarily difficult) Also, it's minor, but you forgot the invincibility monitor under the very first bridge. Just felt like pointing that out. You can't also reach the cliff that RedXVI's house resides on. (or did I just not try hard enough?)
There's also a new level, which may be unlocked by collecting emblems.

Can you tell me more about control problems? There's an option in the menu where the players may change the controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar View Post
Greetings from Russia, by the way. :V
Водка, товарищ!