An Issue I feel should be addressed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the announcement of Windows 10 being "The Last Windows" as well as including an End of Support date (Even if it is about a decade),I am concerned. I am concerned by the lack of legitimate crossplatform support; considering that support for SRB2 is targetted toward Windows, we should consider strengthening Linux Support (and OSX/MacOS Support, sure...whatever...); I know we all may have heard the so-called testaments from long-time Linux Users about its superiority; I do not advocate everyone uninstalls Windows and boots an Arch Linux or Gentoo ISO, resulting in panic when nothing is compatible and WINE (WINE is not an emulator); but we, as the both the community and Sonic Team Junior should consider making SRB2 more multiplatform with respect to operating systems; since it is in fact around a decade before truly ceasing support, it should be at the very least considered when most oppurtune.

Since the announcement of Windows 10 being "The Last Windows" as well as including an End of Support date (Even if it is about a decade),I am concerned. I am concerned by the lack of legitimate crossplatform support; considering that support for SRB2 is targetted toward Windows, we should consider strengthening Linux Support (and OSX/MacOS Support, sure...whatever...); I know we all may have heard the so-called testaments from long-time Linux Users about its superiority; I do not advocate everyone uninstalls Windows and boots an Arch Linux or Gentoo ISO, resulting in panic when nothing is compatible and WINE (WINE is not an emulator); but we, as the both the community and Sonic Team Junior should consider making SRB2 more multiplatform with respect to operating systems; since it is in fact around a decade before truly ceasing support, it should be at the very least considered when most oppurtune.

hahah, HAHA
HAHAHA

do you want to setup a RPM/DEB repos?
Can you give us a MacOSX system to build on?

Do you want to setup our buildbot we use to make sure we do not break Linux and MacOS compiling to also push the binaries to a web site?

Appveyor buildbot for Win32 builds

Travis buildbot Linux and MacOSX

If you can get Travis config to push the binaries out, that would be WONDERFUL

One: you're grossly misinterpreting statements and filling in your own conclusions to use as scare tactics. Windows is the "last" version insofar as they appear to be transitioning from major update versions to a rolling update system. Your wording, whether intentional or not, makes you sound like an FSF luddite trying to force their opinions down everyone's throats. (I mean, Arch? Gentoo? That's the only kind of person I've ever seen pitch those distros directly. If you're going to pitch something, pick a simple distro like Mint or something lol)

Two: the game already compiles fine on Linux. (I can't personally vouch for Mac builds, but I'm pretty sure other people have built them.) The reason development is "Windows-centered" right now is because major editing tools we use - notably Zone Builder, our current definitive map editor - are Windows-only. But I mean, aside from our horrendous netcode causing architecture-compatibility problems in online modes, our cross-platform support seems fine to me. Just needs enough interest from people to justify keeping a package up-to-date.

Personally, I use Windows 7; mentioning Arch and Gentoo was more of a joke than anything hence "I do not advocate", which is not meant to advertise a GNU/Linux based operating system in general linguistics. Also, I am very well aware of the RPM/DEB scenario. If my sources are correct however, then there are various problems which tend to occur not just with SRB2;but crossplatform games/software in general, especially when there is minimal support (Ok, maybe there is fewer problems with it than there was before; just comment on it).

In general, I think it's best at least for the community to look into this topic. Heck, maybe they already do and I am just a ill-informed idiot. Also, MACs suck in my opinion. The main point of this post was to discuss the whole "Windows may get conpletely tossed or completely remade and incompatible" scenario; all of this being said, we should at least look into this...even if we wait five years.

---------- Post added at 04:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 AM ----------

One: you're grossly misinterpreting statements and filling in your own conclusions to use as scare tactics. Windows is the "last" version insofar as they appear to be transitioning from major update versions to a rolling update system. Your wording, whether intentional or not, makes you sound like an FSF luddite trying to force their opinions down everyone's throats. (I mean, Arch? Gentoo? That's the only kind of person I've ever seen pitch those distros directly. If you're going to pitch something, pick a simple distro like Mint or something lol)

Two: the game already compiles fine on Linux. (I can't personally vouch for Mac builds, but I'm pretty sure other people have built them.) The reason development is "Windows-centered" right now is because major editing tools we use - notably Zone Builder, our current definitive map editor - are Windows-only. But I mean, aside from our horrendous netcode causing architecture-compatibility problems in online modes, our cross-platform support seems fine to me. Just needs enough interest from people to justify keeping a package up-to-date.

I am aware of the netcode imcopatibility, this is something that ST Jr. should look into (Maybe).

Talking bout cross-platform netplay my build of SRB2 for the Mint of mine seems to be working fine with the rest of Windows playin community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back