We're Not Dead Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
The goop liquid is just like regular water, except it has a different physics modifier. The ability to add sector effects to it hasn't changed.

Hmm, wonder how much I've missed. Glad to see ya'll aren't dead! I am interested in seeing how slime works now. Seems like this will add more variety than just having lava that you can swim in. Nice to see the shields in these screenies. :D

-Jev

I have a quick question about LUA.
Does LUA open more possibilities to Character Socs?
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, but like everyone else I don't know exactly what that will entail. I would assume that Lua greatly extends the capabilities of making custom player abilities. One thing that we do know is that all restrictions on the player's stats (jump height, top speed etc.) have been removed because Lua would allow you to bypass them anyway.

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, but like everyone else I don't know exactly what that will entail. I would assume that Lua greatly extends the capabilities of making custom player abilities. One thing that we do know is that all restrictions on the player's stats (jump height, top speed etc.) have been removed because Lua would allow you to bypass them anyway.

I want your opinion SpiritCrusher( Or just the whole MB anyway), do you think LUA will attract people to make more character wads because of the new features to it?
And might they be openly different from the ones now?

Does he really need to answer that question, I'm pretty sure you could answer "yes" to everything there yourself. Especially the last one, come on now.

I want your opinion SpiritCrusher( Or just the whole MB anyway), do you think LUA will attract people to make more character wads because of the new features to it?
I don't think the lack of character WADs is necessarily due to SOC limitations, but rather the time it takes to draw all of the animation frames.

And might they be openly different from the ones now?
I would assume that Lua greatly extends the capabilities of making custom player abilities.
'Nuff said? While LUA may open more diverse possibilities for custom character creation, I don't think it will cause a floodgate of new character WADs to open.

Last edited:
I don't think the lack of character WADs is necessarily due to SOC limitations, but rather the time it takes to draw all of the animation frames.
Because drawing 275 frames (272 as of SRB2 1.09.4) is not like having a walk in the park. It's possible to reuse 1/3 of these by mirroring but still not easy.

I think the lack of character WAD is rather due to the drop of interest in general. Still, with the current system you can't make much of out a combination 2 abilities available in a tiny list of abilities, your character may end up behaving exactly like an existing one, unless you use some trickier SOC features (e.g. Hinote).

Another thing, Sonic is the only one that is allowed to go super in single player... I never understood it by the reasons other than those the storyline could give, such as "Sonic is the star of the game, he's special and unique". If that's the case, Sonic could the 1st one to go super and then the others (new unlockable?), not the only one.

I actually remember that back in the 1.09.4 days, we had some character WADs that could go Super, so it's really just a lack of interest why we don't see characters with that kind of uniqueness anymore.

Character wads back in 1.09.4 also almost universally had the exact same stats. They were not unique in that they added nothing new to the game because they all played the same.

Personally, I'd like to see all the stuff used in the character wads currently wiped away and make it so you HAVE to use Lua to get the character to do anything at all.

Once again, I'm months late to another SRB2 preview, only this time I'm actually posting in it. =P

I'm glad to see that skyboxes are finally in the main game, (especially in software mode, too) and that there's no more crawlas outside of GFZ. I never had any frustrations with the slime, because all you had to do to get out of it was find one of the rings you dropped, thok toward the springs, and if you get hurt again, repeat the process. (then again, I'm a bit forgiving in level design about hings like that =P)

I'd also like to see that the netcode's finally fixed, though I understand that it's a lot of work. Might take another full year or two from now till release, though adding any new feature seems somewhat pointless (not trying to give the wrong idea, LUA scripting will be one of the best features yet) if there isn't a new version.

and wow, 302 links for the special stage? Man, those are going to be harder than I thought.

I dont think it will take 2 years or even 1 before it release (I mean, 2.0.6 will become the longest lasting version instead of 1.09.4 else!)

I dunno, the net code sounds pretty bad. If it was caused by something like LUA scripting, (don't know for sure, tbh) then imagine how long it would be even to figure out what's actually happening, let alone fit it.

I dunno, the net code sounds pretty bad. If it was caused by something like LUA scripting, (don't know for sure, tbh) then imagine how long it would be even to figure out what's actually happening, let alone fit it.

They already know what's wrong, and the net code is already nearly fixed according to a certain leaked picture I've found.

They already know what's wrong, and the net code is already nearly fixed according to a certain leaked picture I've found.

There are a lot of fakes and photo shopped images out there. Plus, how would you tell the net code is fixed from a picture? I'm not doubting you or anything,
But are you sure the picture was valid? Also, is it possible to post a link to it or something? It is up to you. Either way, the picture might or might not be valid. Last I heard, it is no where near being fixed. I might be wrong. Only time will tell.

And I really doubt someone who's barely a year old in the forums actually got an image from someone currently working on the netcode.

So yeah, Pics or I call that statement Fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back