SRB2Wii thread (v2.0.0 RC4, news update 27/11/2010 10:46)

I can't remember if you said this, but what controllers did you say this supported. And will this create a new Wii Channel or just be booted up in Homebrew?

I just don't understand why there is not netcode in PowerPC builds. I would really appriciate an explanation. And I will be downloading this... once the nunchuck or GC controllers are supported

You guys seem to be complaining about the netcode so much. Why not just bring over a friend and play a nice two player match? This should keep you guys, at very least occupied for the time being.
Maybe they don't have real friends...

Blitz the Coyote said:
I just don't understand why there is not netcode in PowerPC builds. I would really appriciate an explanation. And I will be downloading this... once the nunchuck or GC controllers are supported

There is no network multiplayer because the engine isn't fully compatible with the PowerPC big-endian specifications. The game was built for Intel CPU based machines. If you really have a problem with that then fix it yourself because you can't except Callum or anyone else to. The nunchuk is supported which has already been said and classic controllers work.

Are you implying that this is possible, Callum? Or are you speaking purely metaphorically?
Anyway, if Nunchuck support is added, would that mean analog control? or would it be like a D-pad map? Because from what I've heard, the nunchuck doesn't work in-game...

I'd say, sure it's possible to be done, but who's gonna do it?

The nunchuck works in game with the old build linked to through youtube. It is set to analog, and yes I did have to replug it to get it to work.

Are you implying that this is possible, Callum? Or are you speaking purely metaphorically?
Anyway, if Nunchuck support is added, would that mean analog control? or would it be like a D-pad map? Because from what I've heard, the nunchuck doesn't work in-game...

Yes, it is possible for netplay to work in SRB2 someday, its just a matter of someone getting around to fixing the netcode.

The Wii Remote + Nunchuck combination is the default.

SRB2Wii wouldn't use the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. At all. It would connect to the Internet directly, just like any other SRB2 version.
Oh. Well, shows how much I know -_-; So I guess all of the controls are working like they should, or are there still some problems in that department?

There is one issue with the controls where the something happens with the Nunchuk sometimes and Sonic will spear off into the left, and the only solution seems to be respawning (dying) at the moment.

Last edited:
SRB2Wii v1.4.0 has been released! Here are the changes:

- It's a long time coming, the controls finally work. Play SRB2 for as long as you want on your Wii! The supported control schemes are the Wii Remote + Nunchuk and the Classic Controller. Only one remote is officially supported for now, although technically two player controls SHOULD work, its been configured for it and SRB2Wii sets it up correctly. Some levels will be quite laggy, especially larger ones, so remember that.
- SRB2Wii now detects if SRB2's data files are accessible properly, if not, it will reboot.
- Seemingly infinite number of changes underneath to make everything much tidier, faster and more organised.
- SRB2Wii/mini is fully working, so people with BootMii can use that.
- The almost-finished SRB2Wii launcher is now switched on by default. You can configure everything about SRB2Wii with it, and it will also load WADs and custom SRB2Wii build of EXE mods (<--- coming soon by yours truly) from a USB stick, you can also load them onto the SD card directly as well (WADs go in /<apps/bootmii>/srb2wii/data/addons). You may still see some odd things about it here and there, and the set config functionality doesn't work properly yet, so please don't try it yet, thanks.
- Less messages from startup clogging up the screen.

Okay, just quickly: yes, the colours are still wrong, yes, network doesn't work yet (that is being worked on) and yes, there is no GameCube controller support yet.

I like how far this has come in such a short time. Thanks everyone for supporting me. =)

I also love how I managed to get this to a state where I feel that is it at least properly finished before I go to Japan on Saturday, 25 September at 5:00AM UTC+12.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
How do I get this working on the wii? I downloaded it and it gave me an iso file, what do I do with it?

Hah, I think you did a splendid job at this Callum. I've only been able to try it out just now.

A problem which I had taken note of is the fact that I cannot seem to navigate through the menu of SRB2Wii via controls . It seems that buttons like the A and B button are the only things that want to do anything for me.

Of course the colors are screwed up, granted it's not the RGB color scheme anymore. Though they seem to be quite different from the colors shown in the SRB2Wii SVN video. Everything happens to appear green with the supposedly lighter shades of blue on Sonic to be red.

I'm not sure if I had set something up wrongly, but I do like how it looks so far. Good work Callum.

EDIT: The SRB2Mini seems to work fine. It has the same problems as before but I'm able to get in-game with this.

EDIT x2: Disregard the above about the SRB2Wii IOS version, I was able to get in-game just now with it. Though to no avail have I been able to navigate through the menu with it.

Last edited:
I don't mind the ugly temporary colors. I also don't mind that I can't navigate around on the menu, that it may freeze on large areas for a few seconds, or that Home is actually Pause. What I DO mind is Analog being on. It's too slippery for me, so I rather have it off. Turning infinitely to the left is actually sounding better than spearing off to the left.

The only port I ever played was the PSP version, so when compared to the Wii port, I'm impressed. Technically speaking, the game runs smoothly at a fast framerate, and occasionally has spike lags. I would gladly try to finish the entire game, but Analog keeps costing me all my lives in THZ2.

Hey, guys, I've forgotten to update this thread. Sorry!

I returned from Japan over a week ago, and I've been hit hard by jetlag, I'm afraid. I've been ill most of time I've been back here, only now have I started to come right again, but my body is still doing weird things o_o. I'm taking a short break on SRB2Wii for a little while. I'm sorry to people who have been waiting anxiously for an update, I haven't had the time or the energy to post one. Thanks for your support, guys! This WILL be finished, I promise you.

Chaos Zero 64, I will look further at the analog controls and see if I can improve them, to be honest the game plays worse without analog on IMO. If you hate it that much, though, you can edit /srb2wii/base_config.cfg on your SD card and change "useranalog" to "0".

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back