F. Sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my personal headcanon, the F stands for Fing.

Back on topic, who specifically might I inquire to about that super-standing fix?

In my personal headcanon, the F stands for Fing.

Back on topic, who specifically might I inquire to about that super-standing fix?

That's probably me. I was the last one to write fixes for the extended super states, if I recall correctly.

The F obviously stands for fish. FSonic can run on water with dashmode so it makes sense.

That's probably me. I was the last one to write fixes for the extended super states, if I recall correctly.

I thought that this was confirmed a bug in the SOC coding when it came to skin switching. Unless there is a solution I never heard of?

That's not really the case. SRB2 is just a general audience game. The instant you attach any sort of online interaction to a video game you're immediately going to have something that isn't particularly kid-friendly. There's always going to be that guy who's going to draw dicks on Miiverse. That "online interactions not rated by the ESRB" message exists for a reason, and that reason is other people.

We, as a community, decided that we're going to allow cursing (we didn't at one point). What that means is that saying "fuck" is acceptable here. Really, I can't imagine any child with access to the internet not already being aware of the word anyways. If a parent lets their child use the internet without restrictions then they're going to have to answer some occasional awkward questions when that child finds something they didn't want them to find.

When i downloaded it, It wouldent come up. This will fix it right?

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

When i downloaded it, It would not come up. This will fix it right? (spelling)

So I found a pretty minor bug while messing around with Super Sonic and I'm surprised with all the amount of time that has passed since this has been released, this hasn't been found. Anyway, Super Sonic doesn't use his "skid" frames when holding back after running like the vanilla cast does, just his walking frames while the skin sound/dust appears. http://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/SparklingWarpedIndianspinyloach

What hasn't already been said about FSonic? It's the sprite update we had no idea we so desperately needed. It takes everything great about the vanilla Sonic sprite and makes it ten times better.

...However, being the awful, horrible, no-good nitpicker I am, there's just one small, little detail about a certain sprite that irks me. I'm talking about the drowning sprite.
FQDGWzZ.png

Now don't get me wrong. I'm glad we're finally getting proper drowning sprites for each character, but looking at this, I can't help but ask... What's with the teeth? It just feels so odd and out of place, considering that none of the classic drowning sprites ever showed Sonic's teeth. I suppose you could argue it's a stylistic choice, but it doesn't really seem like the type of detail that SSNTails would draw, considering it's meant to mimic his style.

Maybe this whole thing was already discussed in a heated debate that I missed out on, and you already decided that the teeth are final. Maybe not. But this is just a silly little nitpick of mine, so don't take it too seriously.

Last edited:
Srb2 sprites are at a higher resolution than traditional Sonic sprites, so it makes sense that there would be details that wouldn't be possible at smaller resolutions. I think it would look odd for Sonic not to have teeth in that frame, like he's toothless. Also I don't think whether SSN would've drawn that detail is relevant, since he forgot the detail of Sonic's whole ears in srb1.

SSN didn't draw the SRB1 sprites - that was all Wallbank, I believe. The terribleness of those was the entire reason he believed he had something to contribute for the sequel in the first place. :P

SSN didn't draw the SRB1 sprites - that was all Wallbank, I believe. The terribleness of those was the entire reason he believed he had something to contribute for the sequel in the first place. :P
I mean, he did contribute to this discussion, so at least he was half right :P

Srb2 sprites are at a higher resolution than traditional Sonic sprites, so it makes sense that there would be details that wouldn't be possible at smaller resolutions. I think it would look odd for Sonic not to have teeth in that frame, like he's toothless.
Sonic 2 HD manages to pull it off quite well without looking awkward, and those sprites are at an even higher resolution than SRB2's.
Pz7xhDq.png

Of course, S2HD's artstyle is based on Japanese promotional Sonic artwork from 1991-1993, whereas SRB2 has a more unique style based on SSN's artwork. I made a quick edit of FSonic's drowning sprite to remove the teeth, and I agree, it looks quite awkward.
UhHGDot.png

However, that's partially due to the odd shape that Sonic's mouth was drawn in. I drew a quick comparison so you could get a better idea of what I mean.
4Zz41aN.png

Now, I don't mean to rag on MotorRoach's work here. He is far more skilled than I am, and his work on SRB2 is proof of it. However, I made a few edits to the mouth to make it resemble the classics more, and I think it looks quite nice. This is just a suggestion, of course.
bWa2toM.png

Cue the "who cares, it's just one sprite you see for like one second" comments...

Also I don't think whether SSN would've drawn that detail is relevant, since he forgot the detail of Sonic's whole ears in srb1.
This isn't a good argument at all. Let's pretend SSN actually did draw those awful SRB1 sprites. (Which he did not as already mentioned) Even if he did, that was twenty years ago. I drew this crappy Sonic (https://i.imgur.com/p3vMeNn.png) five years ago. I guess that invalidates this one (https://i.imgur.com/MohXYHD.png) I made last month. Artists are always improving. SSN's actual old art wasn't even all that bad either, and his style is a big part of what makes SRB2 special.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back