F_SKY1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic Destiny

dealer of Retribution.
Well ive been making levels and for some reason when i want to use F_SKY1 to actually make a sky i only see redwall.
What is wrong with the texture?
Even in the mystic realm MAPAV they have F_SKY1 as a texture but in 3d mode it says there is a missing texture but when you play the level there is space around you and it looks cool.

Whats the problem?

It's that F_SKY1 is sort of a marker that tells SRB2 to draw a sky instead of a texture. In 3D mode, SRB2DB doesn't recognize it, and gives you that ugly mess. It works fine in SRB2, though, provided you told it what sky to use in the map header.

Dark Warrior said:
It's that F_SKY1 is sort of a marker that tells SRB2 to draw a sky instead of a texture. In 3D mode, SRB2DB doesn't recognize it, and gives you that ugly mess. It works fine in SRB2, though, provided you told it what sky to use in the map header.
Umm in that bold part about the map header, do i have to insert a map header in using XWE? Or how exactly do i change the map header?

The map header is a text file that you put in a lump, and yes, you can make them in XWE. You could also let SOCEdit make the header in a SOC file (as level headers can be in MAINCFG too) and put it in the WAD.

And if you don't want to all of that. You can just click on script in the srb2doombuilder toolbar and click editMAINCFG.

Some versions of SRB2DB will crash if the lump doesn't exist already, so if it crashes, you should at least make an empty MAINCFG lump first in XWE or something.

Well i understand what you mean now, but what if i want to use a certain texture like.... lets say Sky8 what is the code that i would type into the XWE maincfg lump?
Really im making a reference to Prismatic Angel, how the map looks awesome but the textures dont look like they were painted on walls.

The textures don't look like they were painted on walls because he has the thok barrier ceiling close to the floor, while he cannot have it touching another sector floor, it can be low. As for sky on the gound...well....I don't know...

You always use F_SKY1 and specify the level sky in the level header:
Code:
skynum = <sky number>

Sik said:
You always use F_SKY1 and specify the level sky in the level header:
Code:
skynum = <sky>
Ok that worked to where the whole level is the outside texture i want it to be, but for some reason when i want to like use F_SKY1 to make the walls, kinda transparent so i can see the rest of the level it doesnt work.

It's not for walls. It's automatically there if the Thok Barrier's floor and ceiling are low enough for you to see over it.

The Dark Fox said:
It's not for walls. It's automatically there if the Thok Barrier's floor and ceiling are low enough for you to see over it.
So how would doom builder be able to identify whats a thok barrier and what isnt?

Way off. If the ceiling is F_SKY1 and the upper texture is null ("-"), the upper texture becomes the sky. Same with the floor and the lower texture.

Basically, you can't use F_SKY1 for anything that isn't a sky. Well, you can, but if you do, you get messy results. If you're looking for translucency or transparency, your best bet is using FOFs with those specials.

If you set F_SKY1 to a flat texture you wouldn't get exactly messy results, you would still keep getting the sky because that overrides whatever was assigned to F_SKY1. Ever wondered why SRB2DB never lists it? Because it isn't defined in SRB2.SRB as it would be anyways overriden in the renderer :)

Sik said:
If you set F_SKY1 to a flat texture you wouldn't get exactly messy results, you would still keep getting the sky because that overrides whatever was assigned to F_SKY1.

Exactly what I meant by messy results. =P

Messy results would be SRB2 doing something completely wrong (like rendering HOM or even worse, scrambling the data in the framebuffer hence making the game unplayable).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back