[Open Assets] Tikal/TikalX.wad for 2.1

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkBones

Well, I recently found out that 2.1 was released not too long ago, so I figured I'd try out the new version. After doing that, I checked to see how many of the character wads were already ported. Apparently not many, which made me sad. This is for the Tikal fanatics out there (pretty much just me), who really want to play as her again. It only took about 30 minutes (most of it was figuring out why she wasn't appearing in single player correctly and/or adjusting the info message), but as far as I can tell there's no glitches (please tell me if I'm wrong!). I've set her jump height back to her original's, but left speed, etc. the same as the most recent version of TikalX.wad. This is because the lower jump height (which was lower than Knuckles's BTW) made her a pain to play in at least one specific CTF map (don't remember the name of it, it was the green forest-y one from 2.0) when she had the flag. I might make a version with the jump height lowered as well, if anyone REALLY wants it, but it should just be a simple value edit, easy for anyone who knows even the most basic things about .wad editing, so I didn't find it necessary. Huge credit to Hunter Orion for the original .wad.

EDIT: Just realized screenshots were supposed to be attachments, sorry...

EDIT2: Fixed the endsign and life monitors, I forgot that changed in 2.1...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• srb20000.png
    srb20000.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 12,141
  • srb20001.png
    srb20001.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 11,732
  • Tikal.zip
    66.5 KB · Views: 4,459
Last edited:
Could you include some screenshots in the post as well?

...wow, can't believe I forgot. Hold on, I'll go take a few real quick...

EDIT: Added. I'm still not sure whether or not I should add the original .wad's screenshots as well...

Last edited:
Sorry for the bump but...since its been a week since I submitted this, I was wondering if there was any problems with the .wad that needed to be fixed?

You need to fix your 1ups and endsign. 1up should only have tikal's 1up head, not the surrounding monitor, and the endsign needs to only have tikal's endsign portrait, not the fill color or sign itself. Both now change color to match the player, and thus must be colored appropriately to allow this.

Last edited:
You need to fix your 1ups and endsign. 1up should only have tikal's 1up head, not the surrounding monitor, and the endsign needs to only have tikal's endsign portrait, not the fill color or sign itself. Both now change color to match the player, and thus must be colored appropriately to allow this.

Alright, that should be fixed now. I forgot that the way those were done was changed with the new update (I thought it was just CFG stuff...).

Tikal returned at last!
Downloading... Playing... It's like the 2.0 days!
I didn't find any problem... for now.

Alright, Tikal is back in business!
I'm glad to see some serious wads/ports popping up. The joke wads just aren't funny for me anymore.

I'm glad to see some serious wads/ports popping up. The joke wads just aren't funny for me anymore.

Why on earth would you want Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff ported to 2.1? It's an eyesore on top of a poor joke with no actual gameplay, literally everything a player shouldn't want in a mod.

...That's the whole point. :P

Hypocrite much?
Anyways, I like the colors on Tikal now. I don't know if you re-did the sprites or 2.1 is just cool like that.

Last edited:

Love you too, Rex.

On-topic, I can't say I was ever a fan of Tikal. I love her as a character but this wad doesn't do her justice. Maybe you could use Lua give her some mystical powers?

Love you too, Rex.

On-topic, I can't say I was ever a fan of Tikal. I love her as a character but this wad doesn't do her justice. Maybe you could use Lua give her some mystical powers?

I've been learning Lua slowly but surely, but maybe I could do some extra powers if I could think of something that isn't too cheap (or maybe research what different attributes she had in SA2, I don't know because to be honest I never liked that game, and my only experience with Tikal in it is when I cheated to get her in the Chao Garden)... I've also thought about redoing her graphics to fit SRB2 more, but I'm not good at imitating other people's graphical styles, so yeah, maybe after I get more practice with the style.

larztard said:
Anyways, I like the colors on Tikal now. I don't know if you re-did the sprites or 2.1 is just cool like that.

It's 2.1's colors. The only "new" graphics are the signpost graphic (since I had to change it anyway, and the old one was hideous, I copied one of her other frames and edited out everything but her face) and the 1-up graphic (only a few rows of black added, due to the fact that the old one was two pixels too short). Trust me, if I were to redo the graphics, that 1-up especially would not still be there, it literally looks as if the original artist just scrunched up her head in paint. No offense to whoever did the first sprites, everything else looks great, they just clash a little.

I've been learning Lua slowly but surely, but maybe I could do some extra powers if I could think of something that isn't too cheap (or maybe research what different attributes she had in SA2, I don't know because to be honest I never liked that game, and my only experience with Tikal in it is when I cheated to get her in the Chao Garden)...

I know in Sonic Adventure she could manipulate the power of the chaos emeralds, and in SA2B she had a lightning attack she could do, she could cause a small earthquake, and she could stop time.

...she could stop time.

That's convienient...

...if I decide that's the ability I want to give her that is (since it would be either useless or broken in multiplayer...)

I was thinking maybe she could turn into that light ball from SA1, but that might also be too broken. The hard part is deciding something that's equally useful in both match/ctf and in single player.

That's convienient...

...if I decide that's the ability I want to give her that is (since it would be either useless or broken in multiplayer...)

I was thinking maybe she could turn into that light ball from SA1, but that might also be too broken. The hard part is deciding something that's equally useful in both match/ctf and in single player.

My idea was at a ring cost, she could check for something within a radius around her and cast lightning down on them like in SA2B. This would let her quickly pop enemies in Singleplayer and attack nearby players in multiplayer.

My idea was at a ring cost, she could check for something within a radius around her and cast lightning down on them like in SA2B. This would let her quickly pop enemies in Singleplayer and attack nearby players in multiplayer.

That probably would work, if it's possible to spawn objects with Lua (I'm 99% sure that it's possible to do something that simple...). The major problem wouldn't be to get it working, but to keep it from feeling overpowered. It would likely be possible on some maps to grind up a bunch of rings and then keep spamming lighting, though raising it too high would keep it from being viable on other maps. I'm pretty sure that she'd be banned from most match/ctf servers, especially match, because of that (let's face it, a lot of people would ragequit from randomly being hit immediately due to not seeing Tikal and getting too close, at least getting that close to other characters, there's a chance they might miss...).

I don't see the earthquake being possible, at least not easily, but depending on what it actually did, it might be the most balanced. As for manipulating the chaos emeralds...yeah...that's just asking to be brokenly overpowered. I think I might play around a little with the lightning idea, as time stopping would obviously be broken in multiplayer no matter what I did (unless I deactivated it in multiplayer, which I wouldn't want to do).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back