2.2 Preview - With Slopes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBH, whether 2.2 releases this year or not shouldn't matter. Because, if it was released this year, it's possible it would be either rushed or imcomplete.

The only things that matter, is things that don't break the game or at least giltchy to the point of no return.

But hey, look at the bright side, at least we know the devs are trying their best, right?

Are there any plans for the last room in CEZ2? Because it's horrid. Cheap Robo-hoods, floating piece of bricks and irrationally tall walls. Whose idea was it?

Are there any plans for the last room in CEZ2? Because it's horrid. Cheap Robo-hoods, floating piece of bricks and irrationally tall walls. Whose idea was it?

I dunno

I kinda liked that room tbh, though my opinion is confirmed to probably be invalid

I thought it was nice. Although I do agree that something needs to be done about the Robo-Hoods and the infinite range they get after spotting you.

Precipitation used to "work" in OpenGL in terms of randomly working in some areas but not working most everywhere else, so you'd get a small area where it would rain but right next to it it wouldn't. It never properly worked in OGL, even at implementation.

It works fine on the next branch if you just update a certain out-dated variable . I have a patch if you want. =)

If you run a map that rains from the beginning, such as CEZ3, it works perfectly well in all areas. Add weather = 1 to CEZ2's entry in MAINCFG, for example, and you get rain just as good as software, without the slowdown. It also only rains where it's supposed to, just like software.

What doesn't work is changing from no rain to rain without reloading the map (i.e. doing devmode, then "weather 1"). So wads that do that, like Time.wad, will show the bug.

Interestingly, the rain "patches" that appear that seem random actually directly correspond to map nodes/subsectors. You can see it in the new zone builder. Make a simple map with just a few sectors, test it, toggle the weather, then switch back to your zone builder, and look at the "nodes view." Now, which nodes and why are a mystery, but they're always the same ones every time, unless you move or add sectors, or change angles, most likely cause it changes the node shapes and numbers.

Last edited:
What doesn't work is changing from no rain to rain without reloading the map (i.e. doing devmode, then "weather 1"). So wads that do that, like Time.wad, will show the bug.
Have you tried setting the Weather setting of the level in MainCfg to "PRECIP_BLANK" for a level before using "weather 1" in the console? Maybe the issue here is just precipitation isn't pre-loaded. Not sure, though.

Last edited:
Have you tried setting the Weather setting of the level in MainCfg to "PRECIP_BLANK" for a level before using "weather 1" in the console? Maybe the issue here is just precipitation isn't pre-loaded. Not sure, though.

That's not the issue, because if you start a level with rain ON in MAINCFG, it will work perfectly, but if you turn it off and back on again in the console, it shows the broken behaviour. But I haven't tried toggling rain with PRECIP_BLANK in the console instead of weather 0. I'll have to try that when I get a chance (currently swamped with programming projects, though).

Is there a console "weather" number to get PRECIP_BLANK?

Will you switch to using shaders in OpenGL renderer this version? Right now it uses fixed-function pipeline which is slow, really outdated and various effects that are in software mode are hard or impossible to reproduce with it. The thread about the renderer overhaul quickly descended into the truecolor vs palette debate which is stupid because we would need to see both in action to really compare them and even if it's agreed that it looks worse, it'd be easy to change. Either way it'd be way better than current renderer.

There's a very good chance we won't, not because it's a bad idea (it's a great idea), but because it'd entail redoing 95% of the OGL renderer from scratch, and none of the coders on our team are good enough at graphics programming to take on the job. (The guy that was left.)

Sorry for bumping, but will there be more Match and CTF stages?

Well I'm not sure about that because the development of version 2.2 maps is mostly on single player. On the wiki, I haven't saw anything that was talking about putting more multi-player levels. So we'll have to wait and see what's in version 2.2 already after it's been released.

Will you switch to using shaders in OpenGL renderer this version? Right now it uses fixed-function pipeline which is slow, really outdated and various effects that are in software mode are hard or impossible to reproduce with it. The thread about the renderer overhaul quickly descended into the truecolor vs palette debate which is stupid because we would need to see both in action to really compare them and even if it's agreed that it looks worse, it'd be easy to change. Either way it'd be way better than current renderer.
That's a keen first post. Did you come from Doomworld or something?

Will you switch to using shaders in OpenGL renderer this version? Right now it uses fixed-function pipeline which is slow, really outdated and various effects that are in software mode are hard or impossible to reproduce with it.
For 2.2? No, most likely not, we have our hands more than full as it is. (2.2 was already supposed to be finished by now!)

But your points are absolutely correct and we do plan to upgrade/replace the OpenGL renderer in the future... as soon as we have the manpower to devote to it. :(
We lost the guy who was doing the renderer overhaul, so all that kinda went out the window until the other dev team members are finished with what they're doing just to get 2.2 out the door.

Last edited:
Wait so what exactly delayed 2.2?

Simply life. Not everyone is going to have lots time to make levels or fix codes for 2.2, and also maybe the devs are a bit lazy on it. Also to include events like Smash 4, Splatoon, Furyhunter leaving the team, and life in between it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back