SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Editing

Old 01-27-2009   #1
Camouflage

Default For All of Your Mario Conversion Needs; Super Sonic 64

Hello. First, I'd like to start off by stating that this is essentially a continuation of this mod (http://www.srb2.org/mb/viewtopic.php...er=asc&start=0). I have taken over production for quite some time now, and feel that it's finally time to shed some light on the project.

Q&As:
Q: Now, many of you are probably asking, "What is Super Sonic 64?".
A: The only real answer I can give you is that it's my (along with several others) attempt to add some real Mario 64 style to SRB2.
Q: Will any of the levels in the mod be ports from Super Mario 64, or any other Mario games for that matter?
A: At the moment, I do not plan to port any levels from Mario games, although, the current WIP special stages do take much inspiration to that of Mario Sunshine.
Q: Approximately how much of this mod is finished right now?
A: Honestly, it's rather hard to say. I've almost finished the first new level (as the levels in previous releases are NOT being included, save for unlockables). As well as this, I have many other ideas for levels that I plan to use in the near future.
Q: Are you guys gonna' include a hub world, like the castle in Mario 64?
A: Yes, we plan to. But I don't really think that it's a good idea to work on the hub until I have a general idea of how many maps will be included.
Q: ...Wait, I thought you guys were planning on using an EXE to give this mod a more Mario-esque feel (as mentioned in the previous SS64 thread)?
A: An EXE modification was at one point planned, but because of my lack of free time as of late, I've pretty much scrapped it. Although, I still do plan to include some SOCs and the like for some cool effects.
Q: When are you going to be releasing a beta?
A: I'll probably release a beta when I've completely finished up the first level (Midnight Dunes).

Also, for your viewing pleasure, here are some screen shots of the first level in the mod, Midnight Dunes (I also apologize for how crappy the level looks from the pictures):

EDIT: Also, credits to Senku for the GFZROCK texture.
Camouflage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #2
Kaysakado

Wow, I remember this from a long time ago. I think I programmed something for it, but I can't remember what it was.
Old 01-27-2009   #3
Camouflage

I believe you made a ground pounding ability. Although, I may be wrong, as I honestly haven't bothered touching the EXE since the summer.
Old 01-27-2009   #4
Kaysakado

Oh yeah, that was it.
Old 01-27-2009   #5
Violo
Resisting Pony Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camoflauge
Q: Will any of the levels in the mod be ports from Super Mario 64, or any other Mario games for that matter?
A: At the moment, I do not plan to port any levels from Mario games, although, the current WIP special stages to take much inspiration to that of Mario Sunshine.
=D
My God, I love Super Mario Sunshine. If you want, I'll make some levels for this based off Mario Sunshine. Something based off Pianta Village may be good. But I'll make them later, I have other things to work on.
Violo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #6
BlueZero4

Oh man, good times.

Also:
Old 01-27-2009   #7
Ice
Pretty chill guy

Sorry to be blunt, but the level looks somewhat small scaled according to those screenshots.
Old 01-27-2009   #8
Camouflage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violo
=D
My God, I love Super Mario Sunshine. If you want, I'll make some levels for this based off Mario Sunshine. Something based off Pianta Village may be good. But I'll make them later, I have other things to work on.
Umm, at the moment, I don't really want any direct ports made, sorry. Although, if you do having mapping talent and feel that you're able to create some cool Mario themed levels, feel free to PM me with a sample of what you have in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice
Sorry to be blunt, but the level looks somewhat small scaled according to those screenshots.
Ha, no need to apologize. Although, I would say that the level looking small is somewhat due to the screenshots. While I'm not trying to say "OMG TEH LVL IZ BETTAR DEN TEH SCREENIEZ", that kinda' does seem how I've put things. Although, I cannot really prove my case without actually posting a link. :P

But seeing as I want to keep criticism in mind, how about I send you (Ice, and just Ice) a link to what I have so far (via PM)? I'd love to see what you think.
Old 01-27-2009   #9
Violo
Resisting Pony Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camuflauge
Umm, at the moment, I don't really want any direct ports made, sorry. Although, if you do having mapping talent and feel that you're able to create some cool Mario themed levels, feel free to PM me with a sample of what you have in mind.
*twitch*
*sigh* Why does everyone think I make direct ports of levels? If you want an example of a level, go the Crawla Cape Old version, that was completely made by me, the new one fixed the lag with CZ64's help. That's a level which is good if you don't mind.
Old 01-27-2009   #10
Camouflage

Oh, sorry for assuming that you ported levels. And I'll play that level right away. It is part of the SRB2Riders mod, right?
Old 01-27-2009   #11
Ice
Pretty chill guy

I can test for you. I mean, making a horrible level is almost as bad as accidentally building a good map to too small of a scale. It just isn't as enjoyable.
Old 01-27-2009   #12
Violo
Resisting Pony Avatar

I think it's being included in the newest version of SRB2Riders that's coming out. But it's in the levels section if you need it. You need SRB2Riders to play it properly.
Old 01-28-2009   #13
Camouflage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice
I can test for you. I mean, making a horrible level is almost as bad as accidentally building a good map to too small of a scale. It just isn't as enjoyable.
'Kay, I'll send you a copy of it over via PM. And, if possible, I'd prefer it if you'd post criticism in this thread. Just 'cause it's a little bit easier than having to go to my PM box. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volio
I think it's being included in the newest version of SRB2Riders that's coming out. But it's in the levels section if you need it. You need SRB2Riders to play it properly.
Alright. I'll play it right now, and tell you what I think of it (likely via PM, as it won't have too much relivance to this specific thread :P).

EDIT: @BZ4: I thought you said you hadn't started doing any mapping. :P
Old 01-28-2009   #14
BlueZero4

For the record, Camo Man hasn't been keeping me updated on his level, not that I do either. There was a period of time where SoT seriously sucked, though, so this is a major step in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camouflage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice
Ha, no need to apologize. Although, I would say that the level looking small is somewhat due to the screenshots. While I'm not trying to say "OMG TEH LVL IZ BETTAR DEN TEH SCREENIEZ", that kinda' does seem how I've put things. Although, I cannot really prove my case without actually posting a link. :P
Making a small level is really a stylistic choice. If Camo wanted the level to be bigger, I'm sure he would've changed it. Granted, I'm one of those people who tweaks every small thing until it's right, so...

Edit: No, no I haven't. That was four hours all on a Friday night that went mostly towards tweaking the look of the level to be perfect, which it's not. Yet.
Old 01-28-2009   #15
Camouflage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZero4
For the record, Camo Man hasn't been keeping me updated on his level, not that I do either. There was a period of time where SoT seriously sucked, though, so this is a major step in the right direction.
This level is actually not a remake of its "Sands of Time" predecessors, but instead a new level using a similar theme. Oh, and if you'd like a link to the current Midnight Dunes, I'd be happy to supply one, although I could have swore that I sent you an early build of it in one point in time.

EDIT: Oooh, so you're not completely remaking Bittersweet?
Old 01-28-2009   #16
BlueZero4

I want to, but I haven't been actively working on it.
Old 01-28-2009   #17
Chrispy

Hay I remember this!
I don't really care much for it anymore though.
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #18
Ice
Pretty chill guy

Quote:
'Kay, I'll send you a copy of it over via PM. And, if possible, I'd prefer it if you'd post criticism in this thread. Just 'cause it's a little bit easier than having to go to my PM box. :D
Whoops, didn't read that before I sent the message XD. Here's what I said anyway:
Quote:
Holy crap, I did not expect such good level design all of a sudden! Very nice job on this, I completely misjudged what I saw. I guess it was the angle of the screenshots? I dunno.
One thing I did notice however, was that sometimes you overloaded on the enemies. Just going around and deleting some here and there will help. Also, the fish seem like they're jumping too high. Just remember that the height of the jump is determined by the angle the fish is facing. I also noticed that the ground at the very end of the first area is still set to deathpit. Weather or not you meant it too be that way, I don't know XD. There are also some missing textures (the rising platform at the very beginning of the level), but thats all I think there is.
One thing I didn't like was that some of the crumbling platforms never respawned. This could be frustrating for people who play as sonic and miss the platform. And....yea. I think that's it.
I liked this very much, the custom textures and items were really cool.
I did leave out the last sentence though, it's better discussed through pms.
Old 01-28-2009   #19
BlueZero4

Quote:
Oh, and if you'd like a link to the current Midnight Dunes, I'd be happy to supply one
By now, you probably already have it uploaded for Ice, so that'd be nice.
Old 01-29-2009   #20
Camouflage

@BZ4: Done.

Now, in terms of news for the public, I am planning to release a beta version of the level shortly. But, since deadlines are bad, I won't give any specific dates.