SRB2 in Spanish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorklenis2

Life gives you surprise ... surprise gives you lif
when there will srb2 in Spanish, I'm a little crazy to read my English friends like this game but said that in Spanish will be much better.

I don't think there will be a language port of SRB2 to be honest, there isn't that much text to translate. Plus, netgames will mostly be English anyway, as that's what language the majority of people speak.

I don't think there will be a language port of SRB2 to be honest, there isn't that much text to translate. Plus, netgames will mostly be English anyway, as that's what language the majority of people speak.
I think you're right that English is most common, but haven't you seen the high number of SRB2 gamers who speak Brazilian Portuguese? I think the population of SRB2 fans whose first language is something other than English is actually pretty sizeable.

^Yes, I believe (Foxblittz?..or Torgo?..) showed a pie graph of people downloading SRB2. There was a big portion of Brazilian people.

I started on working making SRB2 translate-able with 2.x. I hope STJr finishes the work. I fully support the idea of translating SRB2 to Spanish. Portuguese would be cool too.

Yes, those would be ideal alternate languages to start with. I think that's a great idea.

Have fun translating terms like "badnik", "Chaos Emerald", or even mapping terms like "linedef" and "PolyObject".

Have fun translating terms like "badnik", "Chaos Emerald", or even mapping terms like "linedef" and "PolyObject".

I know a bit of Spanish. Let me try:

"badnik" = "enemigo"
"Chaos Emerald" = "Esmeralda del Caos"
"linedef" = "linedef" (*)
"PolyObject" = "PoliObjecto"

* - it's a technical term restricted to the DoomBuilder, I think such terms should be kept as they are now. If translated, we'd got "DefLínea" and some other weirdnesses.

Last edited:
Wasn't this thread only about translating SRB2 itself? And even then, Chaos Emeralds would be easy to translate. But yeah, some words like badnik and such would get difficult.

And also, if a language pack system will get implemented, I'll just do a Dutch translation for the heck of it =P

EDIT: Yay, ninja'd by Ezer.

I'd do a japanese translation~ But no one in Japan gets SRB2 because they believe that it's a trojan. I wanted to explain it, but I need a new good video to post on NicoNicoDouga.

I'd do a japanese translation~ But no one in Japan gets SRB2 because they believe that it's a trojan. I wanted to explain it, but I need a new good video to post on NicoNicoDouga.

Wait...every single person in the nation of Japan believes SRB2 to be a virus? Or am I taking this way too literally?

I can translate the game in Italian, if someone tach me how to do it.
Does the game in different languages crash the online game?

This would take an enormous amount of work, but I think we need Spanish and Portuguese versions of all the SRB2 wiki articles. This way, it would be much easier to help people on the forums who have a hard time with English (and I recently have had to deal with trying to help such people, so I know how difficult it can be).

Who would write all these articles, may I ask? There aren't many editors either way on the Wiki, and I doubt we'd find someone who translates every change we make in Portuguese.

Who would write all these articles, may I ask?

One single person who will get bored quickly and gives up.

Seriously, a wiki per language is nice and all, but... in current state, we'll disperse a small effort we currently have among 4 or 5 wikies of doubtful quality. Believe me, these guys go wild translating 4 or 5 pages and quite soon. It's fun at the beginning but gets boring after a while.

An in-built automatic translator implemented on the Wiki and quick manuals in ES, PT, DE, FR and JA language would be enough, in my opinion.

Last edited:
The reality is that we're an English community. Adding support to the game to allow it to be translated is one thing, but the reality is that our documentation is written in English and we don't have our Wiki properly finished in English, never mind Spanish.

A significant portion of the internet has rudimentary understanding of English, and if they don't, a crappy machine translation is something they're probably already used to doing to web pages by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back