Suggestions

Super characters should be able to pick up the flag, but they lose all their powers until they toss the flag. I'm not sure if rings should still drain or not.

I don't know if this was said before, but... Monitors should be shootable. That's bugged me for a while.
And maybe an option to choose the color of your name, like having a console command like "namecolor green" or something, and having a menu option for it in Setup Player. It'd probably have to be disabled in CTF and Team Match, but it'd be a nifty little feature for even more personalization beyond name, skin and color.
God, I didn't want that description to be so long, it'd be a relatively simple thing.

Make some balloon type of item.
Colored thrown rings in Match, Tag and Hide and Seek, according to the players color. (for fun)
A shield that protects from non-elemental damage, but not from enemies.
Meteors in ERZ.
Using tunes 1035 as music for a cutscene for the Final Boss.
Revamping the Emeralds.
And sideways gravity.
EDIT: In CTF, also make hazards that damage only members of a certain team, like blue lazers who damage members of the red team or vice versa.
EDIT: Mine carts in ACZ. (This is probably already planned.)
EDIT: A mode in which picking up an item gets people points and holding it longer will get you more points, and other people try to shoot that guy to get the item and such.
EDIT: Make some kind of water that can freeze into a solid ice block.
I think I'll update this post when I come up with more ideas again.
(Sorry if anything of this has already been suggested)

Last edited:
A menu that appears when you die in time attack saying:

Try Again

Change Character or Act

Something like that

I have gone back through all the posts before this one and cleared out suggestions that either:

A. Don't make sense.
B. Will never be implemented.
C. Spam posts that should have been placed in discussion.
D. Posts that should have been in the bug reports section, or are otherwise invalid.

If your post has been edited, do not change it back. If you wind up posting an idea that has already been posted (and maybe rejected) before, don't worry too much about it. I'll sort out a more standardized list of what not to bother to suggest later.

I will also be bolding anything that has been specifically completed.

Thank you for your cooperation and input. Carry on.

Polyobjects that properly render floor and ceiling. That way, you could have rotating gears, horizontally moving platforms, and stuff like that in SRB2 levels.

I suggest to implement this soc action:
Code:
// Function: A_SetObjectState
//
// Description: Changes the state of an object's target.
//
// var1 = state number
// var2 = unused
//
void A_SetObjectState(mobj_t *actor)
{
	int locvar1 = var1;
	if(!actor->target){if(cv_debug)CONS_Printf("ERROR: No target to change state!\n");}
    else {if(!actor->target->player){P_SetMobjState(actor->target, locvar1);}
         else {P_SetPlayerMobjState(actor->target, locvar1);}}
}
Seriously, this would open up so many, many possibilities for us soccing fanatics. Beeing able to spawn objects that effect other object's behaviours is a mechanic I always missed.

I already tested the whole thing and it seemed to work perfectly! ^__^

The ability to tie different exits with different spawn points in single player and cooperative maps. Essentially, an exit somehow labeled as the first would spawn the player in the next map at the first set of spawn points. The second exit would spawn the player at the second set of spawns, etc.

For example, if the player uses an alternate exit in a given level, there are currently only two options: Firstly, the player could just go on to the next level in the sequence like usual. Secondly, the player could exit into a different map entirely.

Using a second set of spawn points would allow more variety. The first usage that comes to mind would be two different exits at the end of Act 1, and each exit corresponds with a different spawn point at the beginning of Act 2. There would also be weird uses which could make the idea of a hub world in SRB2 make more sense, as well as using workarounds to fudge the concept of a streaming world without defined breakpoints.

BlueZero4 said:
The ability to tie different exits with different spawn points in single player and cooperative maps. Essentially, an exit somehow labeled as the first would spawn the player in the next map at the first set of spawn points. The second exit would spawn the player at the second set of spawns, etc.

For example, if the player uses an alternate exit in a given level, there are currently only two options: Firstly, the player could just go on to the next level in the sequence like usual. Secondly, the player could exit into a different map entirely.

Using a second set of spawn points would allow more variety. The first usage that comes to mind would be two different exits at the end of Act 1, and each exit corresponds with a different spawn point at the beginning of Act 2. There would also be weird uses which could make the idea of a hub world in SRB2 make more sense, as well as using workarounds to fudge the concept of a streaming world without defined breakpoints.
You can run a SOC to change the thing type used for the spawn.

BlueZero4 said:

That sounds really good, and its been in Hexen and Strife.

Today, we have VID_TICRATE [0/1/2/3] to turn on/off graph and FPS counter. It makes hard to use scripts that toggles (on/off) variables.

I'd prefer:

VID_TICRATE on/off only for graphics;
VID_FPSCOUNTER on/off only for FPS counter.

Here is a brainstormed list of potential new double-jump abilities that I came up with:

- Self-destruct: An explosion triggers, damaging all nearby players/enemies, including the user. If this is done in Match or a like mode, it awards the user no points for catching other players in the blast area (lest it become overpowered). Multiability allows the user to do this while they are blinking or invincible, whereas they normally could not.
- Hang: The user hangs in the air until they release JUMP. They cannot move in midair. Multiability gives the user the ability to go in and out of this ability at will, as well as a 50% higher jump.
- Splash: The user drops flames/slime/whatever (we could have an option for different objects), much akin to the Egg Slimer (except the flames/slime/etc goes awy more quickly). Other than this, it acts as a 0-speed thok. The color of the flames/slime/etc is the same as the color of the user. Multiability increases the splash area.
- Slingring: The user shoots an item, much akin to the slingring of old. This has a ring cost depending on which object is shot. Multiability reduces the cost of each ring shot. With this ability, double-jumping does nothing.
- Lightdash: Double-jumping results in a light-dash. Multiability… I’m not sure what it could do.
- Triangle Jump: Like the current thok, but allows you to stick to walls for a short time. Multiability makes you stick to the wall a bit longer.
- Whirlwind: Summons a whirlwind around the user, destroying all very-nearby robots. Multiability makes it so that this ability does not force you out of a spin.
- Gamble: Has a random effect, up to and including awarding rings, awarding barriers, destroying nearby robots, or (about 40% of the time) harming you. Multiability decreases the chance of harm.
- Barrier: Gives you abilities much akin to those in Sonic 3 (that is, abilities depending on the barrier you have, or the lack thereof). Multiability improves the unbarriered ability.

I actually expected the lance guard robot to be a bit tougher, so perhaps he could have an extra hit point and a pinch mode, sort of like the crawla commander.

Eggman's mechs have always been pretty big. Implementing a system to handle multiple items in conjunction to make one big boss would be cool. The final boss is a good example of the general idea: only the cockpit takes damage, but the mech is much bigger than just the cockpit. The objects could be sticky, so that instead of trying to SOC/hardcode positions, the mech spawns and instantly makes attachments. If necessary, attachment nob items could be implemented. A basic cockpit without fighting capabilities could be made, and then pulled around by various legs or front pieces. Guns could have individual items to vary attack range, blind spots, and attack density/frequency. Obscure snake eggmans, walker eggmans, tower, spacecraft, and bipedal eggmans are possable. You may need some righter pieces to pull upwards and make sure eggman doesn't fall over.

If a player jumps into a water (or possibly slime) FOF with a Electric shield in match or CTF, have it shock all players within a certain distance who're in the FOF (The shock range being about the same as the Armageddon shield would be nice. (Also, the reason I didn't suggest it also being in Tag/H&S is that it would be a little overpowered))

Remove the display of title cards in Time Attack, they become obstructive when doing crucial thoks in GFZ.

Restore inherent collision to thing spikes. I know you removed it to encourage the use of invisible/solid FOFs that use the spike special, because this has better collision, but this is a hamper on every reason you would use a thing spike to begin with.

1: It makes placing and altering placement of spikes more complex, especially if you're doing it post-optimization, or if it's on an area with FOFs. Many map makers will simply not use spikes rather than jumping through the hoops to put them in as-is.

2: Forcing the person to use a sector for spikes means having to put in a whole new sector, which makes it more resource intensive than it has to be; What if I wanted to place spikes in Botanic Serenity Zone? In a 2D level where it would require the placement of several new FOFs?

3: And this is the most damning of them all, that the invisible/solid/spike FOF that gives the 2.0 spikes their collision cannot duplicate the dynamic vertical movement of an object. If I wanted to place a spike in CEZ2's second exit path, or on a crumbling platform, I'd be right ****ed.

I really don't think this can wait for 2.1 to be fixed.

You will be able to use the old thing collision by checking the deaf flag on spikes in 2.0.5. -Jazz

Last edited by a moderator:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back