EGA palette and Monochrome palette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz

I called it a mod, but I don't really know what category this goes in.

The zip file has two wadfiles: egapal20.wad and monopal20.wad. When loading these into your game, they change the colors that SRB2 uses to draw stuff. These don't do a whole lot, they are just a novelty.

A rather cool novelty if you ask me.

Credits go to Shadowhog to the idea and he also made egapal20.wad. I put monopal20.wad together. Released with permission.

Attachments

• Palettes.zip
    13.2 KB · Views: 935
Last edited by a moderator:
There's probably nothing that looks more epic than Arid Canyon in black-and-white. The other palette is an eyesore though.

The black and white one is great. Looks old fashion styled. The other style reminds me of when I'm in a netgame and then my game crashes. This is because of my router. With this what would happen if I crash?

I think the problem with the EGA palette is that no one remembers the DOS era of shareware games. I like the idea though, it brings back some memories.

Now make a CGA graphics one. :P

I have an idea, Torgo.

You all should play Commander Keen. All six of the episodes. :E

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=EGA+color&l=1

From Google with love.

Torgo said:
I think the problem with the EGA palette is that no one remembers the DOS era of shareware games. I like the idea though, it brings back some memories.

Yeah, the EGA graphics replacement isn't really supposed to look good as much as it is to show where we'd be if we only were allowed 16 colors.

Does it still use only 16 colors for the sector lighting, though? From the video in the ACZ cave, it kind of looks like it uses 16 colors for the base, but then fades using a 256 range generated from the 16 base.

And yes, CGA is needed. I'm missing Cyan and Magenta.

Does it still use only 16 colors for the sector lighting, though? From the video in the ACZ cave, it kind of looks like it uses 16 colors for the base, but then fades using a 256 range generated from the 16 base.
Yes; it has the usual amount of "shades" Doom has as it approaches pure black, but every color within those shades is chosen from the bog-standard EGA set.

My beef with what I had produced is that there's an over-reliance on gray, and as such, things don't look as colorful as they should. Next time I attempt this, I'm doing it by hand, and not by what color Photoshop says every palette entry is closest to.

Pretty nice, Jazz. Monochrome is quite nice because it's all grey and like an old movie. EGA is pretty... screwed up IMO; DSZ1 with EGA pal, like, seriously.

8-bit is slang for 8-bit processor based video game consoles, for some reason. It has really no relation with how many bits are used to represent pixels in images.

SRB2 uses 8-bit indexed color, but with a preset 256 32-bit color palette.

...otherwise known as VGA, the next step up from EGA.

And yeah, I made a CGA one too once, but it only worked for 1.09.4. I could probably try to make one for 2.0.x as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back