FOF not working properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rissian Cloud

Wayward Brony
I'm not really sure what's going on here, but it's chaotic and making my head spin. I was using the wiki to setup a crumbling FOF for a map entrance, but it's ignoring all logical reasoning, I'm using Zone Builder 2.5.

I'll post 2 screenshots and a gif below.

Linedef type 171, Crumbling, No Respawn.
http://i.imgur.com/j636GZh.png

Control Sector Settings.
http://i.imgur.com/jLDlwpU.png

What happens in the game.
http://i.imgur.com/yCGHyax.gifv

The floor height of the area, that the FOF is supposed to be floating above is 0, but the FOF is below the floor when it should be above it.

The tags are setup properly, so I have no idea why it affects the sector walls it is not tagged to.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is all that sky-textured area your thok barrier? That's quite a lot of thok barrier there.

Remember that the front side of a linedef has a little line sticking out the middle. I should point out the linedefs of your control sector all facing outwards (again, are you making it inside your thok barrier?!?), so their front sides are all facing the thok barrier... therefore it's likely you accidentally turned your thok barrier into your FOF's control sector, simply because the control linedef faces the wrong way.

Last edited:
I thought most FOF's were all handled by tags not directional facings, the setup I use works just fine for water and other FOF's the only one breaking seems to be the crumbling FOF.

The sky texture is indeed the thok barrier and it has a tag of 0, the sector that houses the FOF is tag 31 I have the top linedef tagged to 31 with the Linedef type 171, Crumbling, No Respawn. Which if I'm reading the wiki correctly should work just fine unless something has changed. It's a bit confusing.

The ceiling opening is the sector that has tag 31 every other sector has tag 0 because I'm not using them for anything in particular at the moment.

But, yes the entire building is inside the thok barrier I didn't know it would cause any issues.

Last edited:
Well really it's both tag AND direction, but in most cases control sectors aren't found within a thok barrier, so linedef direction isn't an issue (since if you just put a control sector in a place with no sectors at all rather than inside another sector, the linedefs will always be facing the control sector itself because there is no other sector to face anyway). Nothing else sounds like it would be a problem, it's literally just the direction the control linedef faces that you have to fix (I think the "F" key flips direction of selected linedefs, but that might be a SRB2DB1 thing, I forget)

As a note for the future though, don't put control sectors inside your thok barriers like you're doing there, it complicates things.

Last edited:
Wow, you learn something new everyday I had no idea, does the wiki ever mention that issue? I guess that's what I get for being lazy with my control sectors.

I had the thok barrier that large for convenience, I didn't want to have to draw one around the entire map after it was done, so I just started making the map inside the barrier itself. I'll be sure to fix it now.

Thanks for the help, that did solve the issue ironically all of my other control sectors are facing the proper direction I just had no idea it was actually required for it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back