Alternative Sound Recorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larz T

Bool Man Larry
Judge
Hey, since my XP computer broke back way in the early summer I've been using Vista to do all my work. I try to do sounds but I already knew from the Wiki that Vista has a different sound recorder. So I tried Audacity and Winamp. The problem with thoses are, Audacity doesnt support 8-bit format and I cant find the option to change that in Winamp ethier. Only view it. So I was wondering, is there another program 'Vista Users' use to make sounds sound right?

Last edited:
Did audacity allow 8-bit recording? I think there are 8-bit sound recorders. Also audacity don't have 8 bbit and winamp is a media player. So i don't know but i'm gonna check.
Edit:it do have 8 bit recording.

Last edited:
What does? All I see on audacity is 16, 24, and 32 bit.

Last edited:
Try using GoldWave, and export as "8-bit mono".

EDIT: Even this, the sound will be strange in the game.

If you use XWE, press the file you want (the sound) it will be highlighted, go to Wave - Save as (Doom Wave)

it should work, if not, try changing the numbers to a diferrent, then back to the original.

Last edited:
Audacity totally supports 8-bit audio, from my experience. I forget how you specifically set it up; it has something to do with the panel on the far left of every track, however. I think you click the arrow on the top-right of each track's panel?

I seriously hate how they changed Sound Recorder. When I had XP, I was using it all the time for all kinds of purposes. Now it's pretty much useless as an editor. I use Audacity now, but I still really miss it.

The latest beta version of Audacity can save as 8-bit mono waves. Just grab that (remember, the BETA, not the latest stable build) and whatever the equivalent of Save As is (the name escapes me at the moment... Export As?)

The latest beta version of Audacity can save as 8-bit mono waves. Just grab that (remember, the BETA, not the latest stable build) and whatever the equivalent of Save As is (the name escapes me at the moment... Export As?)
Well, heres my version of Audacity.
Audacity 1.3 Beta (Unicode)

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

I seriously hate how they changed Sound Recorder. When I had XP, I was using it all the time for all kinds of purposes. Now it's pretty much useless as an editor. I use Audacity now, but I still really miss it.
With you on that dude.

Same. They used that version of Sound Recorder on 7 as well if I'm correct. Except now it can only export WMAs. So I use Audacity for my Sound Editing needs.

EDIT: Even this, the sound will be strange in the game.

If you use XWE, press the file you want (the sound) it will be highlighted, go to Wave - Save as (Doom Wave)

it should work, if not, try changing the numbers to a diferrent, then back to the original.
I'm only asking if theres something out there not how to convert sounds. ._.

EDIT: But thanks anyways! =D

Last edited:
Here's how to do uncompressed/raw 8-bit in Audacity:

export.png

Go to File>Export

other.PNG

Choose "Other Uncompressed Files" from the drop-down box

raw.PNG

Select "RAW (Header-less)" (this makes it pure audio, no encoding stuff at the beginning) and "Unsigned 8-bit PCM" (keeps it raw (unsigned) and 8-bit)

Press Ok and save!

Here's how to do uncompressed/raw 8-bit in Audacity:

export.png

Go to File>Export

other.PNG

Choose "Other Uncompressed Files" from the drop-down box

raw.PNG

Select "RAW (Header-less)" (this makes it pure audio, no encoding stuff at the beginning) and "Unsigned 8-bit PCM" (keeps it raw (unsigned) and 8-bit)

Press Ok and save!
Got around to doing that and it works. Thanks

Double Post and Back for More Questions

Well, what Metal96 had told me worked but know another problem. How do I load it into the wad correctly? In XWE, I loaded it as RAW data, the sound wave is blue, I converted to Doom Wave and it is not playable. I tried clicking play multiple times and it still won't work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back