Touhou

Status
Not open for further replies.

hypershadow96

Deffinately FOE.
Anyone here even know what it is? XD
Please tell me I'm not the only one... because then that'll be five websites I'm on that no one even knows of Touhou...

Touhou is a bullet-curtain shooting game. Basically, enemies shoot bullets, you dodge the bullets, then destroy the enemy. It is a doujinshi* game created by Team Shanghai Alice, which consists of a single person: ZUN. He did the artwork, story, music, and programming for all of it, except for two fighting games which he partnered with another group. Usually the Touhou games are extremely challenging, the normal mode being more difficult than a standard game's "Difficult" mode. So far there are 12.3 (lol) Touhou games.

*Doujinshi basically means a random person made it, rather than a well known company.

Just search it up on google. You'll find it in a split second. Wiki has a ton of info about it too.

Here are some topics that were already created that are about Touhou:

Touhou - Prepare for Bullet Hell!

Cirno Day

Last edited:
Long explanation short, it's an overly hard shmup, overrated only from a cute anime girl overload.

Touhou is a bullet-curtain shooting game. Basically, enemies shoot bullets, you dodge the bullets, then destroy the enemy. It is a doujinshi* game created by Team Shanghai Alice, which consists of a single person: ZUN. He did the artwork, story, music, and programming for all of it, except for two fighting games which he partnered with another group. Usually the Touhou games are extremely challenging, the normal mode being more difficult than a standard game's "Difficult" mode. So far there are 12.3 (lol) Touhou games.

*Doujinshi basically means a random person made it, rather than a well known company.

Just search it up on google. You'll find it in a split second. Wiki has a ton of info about it too.

Here are some topics that were already created that are about Touhou:

Touhou - Prepare for Bullet Hell!

Cirno Day

Ok, good,broke the "LUL WHUZ TUUHHHOOO?" streak, and No, abee, Just. No.

Last edited:
I do believe that probably the first game that people learn about from this franchise is The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. This is due to being the game that features a particular song: "U.N. Owen was Her?".
What's so special about this song? An Internet meme called McRoll originated from the creation of a video featuring Ronald McDonald making several moves taken from Japanese McDonald's comercials. The clips were edited with video editing software and the finishing product had Ronald "sing" a tune due to pitch changing. That tune is in fact "U.N. Owen was Her?".

Long story short: Most people know Touhou because they know The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil because they know "U.N. Owen was Her?" because they know McRoll.

I'm one of them =D. But still, after trying to give the game a shot, I really saw why it's so popular. It's quite good overall, but the difficulty level is really for those who can play it, not those who want to play it. I'd rate tEoSD 8.5/10.

*pokes Snowy* Then put it back to Japanese. 8D
I currently play ...in no particular order

TH8; Imperishable Night [Beaten Kaguya on Lunatic... Keep choking on Mokou...]
Th7: PErfect Cherry Blossom: [Beaten Yukari in Phantasm]
TH11: [Haven't played much...]
TH MC: Epic Fangame... Keep getting owned by Mokou and Kaguya...

I'd love to try one of those games out. Are there any download links in English? I'd like to know what exactly I'm doing to my computer.

EDIT - Nevermind. I think I found a good link. Thanks, though.

Last edited:
The most I know about it are a couple of the characters (Cirno, Marisa, etc.), the meme of fictional pets called Yukkuri, and, of course, U.N. Owen Was Her.

If the bullet shooting games aren't your type, you can try
7.5 - Immaterial & Missing Power (IAMP)
10.5 - Scarlet Weather Rhapsody (SWR)

These two are fighting games with Touhou characters. It also carries over the bullet grazing and pattern aspects of the regular Touhou games.

My personal favorite out of those two is IAMP, the story mode just seemed more fun in that, as well as how grazing worked :P

As for regular Touhou games...I've played all of them. Not very good at any of them though...although I've beaten Imperishable Night on Normal with no continues :P
My favorite is Touhou 6: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil (EOSD)

I found a download link a while ago; that's how I got tEoSD. I'm not sure if I'll find it, though.

Hey wait, isn't talking about download links for full games and such illegal around the message board? Let's run away before the mods see us![/shot]

As the people on IRC know, I've been quite addicted to this for some time. Here's where I am with the games:

EoSD - Working on Flandre. Her stage is absurdly annoying, so I basically never get a clean attempt on her. Damn you Patchy and damn you Cranberry Trap.
PCB - I've beaten Yukari as ReimuA and SakuyaA.
IN - Haven't spent much time on it, but I 1cced the game on FinalB with all 4 teams.
MoF - I've beaten Suwako as ReimuA. Actually didn't find her anywhere near as hard as Ran was.
SA - I've 1cced the game as ReimuA, but Koishi owns me pretty hard. Haven't tried all that much, though.
UFO - I'm waiting for this to arrive in the mail before I play it. Installing a Touhou game from the disc is going to be awesome =P

For those that want to just try the game, the demo of Perfect Cherry Blossom is here: http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/data/soft/youmu_tr011.lzh

The link I found contained the full version of Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil. I don't know if these games are freeware or what not, so can somebody explain to me if that link was legal or not?

On a more optimistic note, I really am enjoying the game. It's a shame it's so short, really, but I guess that's why there's 12+ individual games.

Last edited:
They're not freeware, they're doujinshi software made by a guy that goes by ZUN. For more information on where to actually purchase copies, the Touhou Wiki has a lot of good information: http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Buying_Stuff

Generally the games run $15-20 each, but the shipping cost is generally high because they're imported.

Heh. Yes. I have the disc of Perfect Cherry Blossom. Shipping cost a frikken $18 and it took 8 business days for it to arrive after I placed the order on HimeyaShop.

Haven't had it very long, so I'm still on Youmu Konpaku. Even in Easy mode, she is brutal. Getting past the "Fasting of the Young Geki" spellcard without being forced to play your own spellcard requires such quick perception, reaction, and judgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back