Super Mario Galaxy 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I guess this is news; As of right now Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the highest rated game of all time according to http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html

I never thought it be possible to come on-top of Ocarina of Time, even if it is only for a little while. Hats off to Nintendo for holding the lead with a different game. Well this is subject to change, higher or lower, SMG2 is still awesome.
-----
In other news time for a little story: As I was playing Red Dead Redemption; I heard the doorbell ring. I look outside and I see the UPS Truck drive away. I look to my left and there was a package on the ground. I leaped for joy and quickly head outside to pick it up, and then I looked at it..... I saw that it was for my brother......
RAAAAAAAAAGE_by_TheBourgyman.png

Short Answer.... Yes

*sigh*

----
*EDIT* Super Mario Galaxy 2 got bumped down to 2nd. Damn, well it was fun while it lasted. :P

Last edited:
Just played it today. IT'S EPIC! I only got past Pewee Piranha, though. It was my friend's game.

Is the COOP actually fun this time around?

Heard they expanded it a little more.

they did; now in 2P Mario is followed by an orange luma and player 2 can collect items and kill some enemies, as well as everything else luma could do before

I've got about 96 stars on my save file so far. This game is a blast, tons of cool stuff to see and do. Soundtrack is amazing, even better than the first, and I foresee myself replaying individual galaxies a lot in the distant future. Totally worth the money.

Alright, got 120 Stars, one of the level's Comets was really annoying and actually took me quite a few lives, I had to even restock my lives at one point because of this... >_>

For the Bowser Jr./Bowser Battles, I was expecting them to be mostly Daredevil Comets, I mean, sometimes most Boss battles were Daredevil Comets in Super Mario Galaxy, right?

Sadly, only one of them has a Daredevil Comet, the rest are just Speed Runs which lack a Boss.

I would like to Daredevil the Final Boss, really.

When I was playing SMG1, it was great, but I felt a distinct sense of let-down in terms of level layout. Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine both had lots of levels that encouraged tons of free-roaming exploration. In SMG1, a couple of levels did a bit of that, but there was a lot of linearity. It was a very good game, but it didn't have the same feel as its predecessors.

And now we get to SMG2, and...the problem is much, much worse. Linear level fest. There isn't even a lot of exploration in the hubs! I must say, I was sorely disappointed. I thought that Nintendo was making this game largely to rectify the problem of linearity in the original Galaxy. But this game is set up a lot more like a 3D NSMB than anything else.

The hubs in the original game was horrible.(SMG 1) It took forever to just get across. There was NOTHING to do. Meh

Glad they ripped it off.

Last edited:
Hey, I just got the game like an hour or 2 ago, yay. Got about 28 stars in and it's pretty fun.

Almost done with the game 100%, some of those "stars" were some tricky to find, others just made me question *Why so close to each other...?*.

Anyway, I bet the very last 2 will give me some issues, so I better stock up on lives before I even head out to that galaxy.

I went to my friend's birthday party and we had a blast with SMG2, in fact, he even got the game for his birthday, which wasn't a spoiler because he wasn't expecting it to be that game.

Compared to SM64 and Sunshine. But it was much better than the overworld system in this new game.

I respectfully disagree, since the new system allows you to get into the action much quicker without any pointless running around. I also never really liked Peach's Castle as a hub world, it's almost as bland and lifeless as the Observatory, but unlike the Observatory it had a few secrets spread about here and there. Not to mention it was cramped most of the time too.

Sunshine's hub I liked though; it's so big and full of life with secrets spread about; it was actually fun to explore. Plus the hub's theme is very catchy.

Last edited:
Compared to SM64 and Sunshine. But it was much better than the overworld system in this new game.

Venturing around is fun, but when it comes to going back and forth to get 100% or even enough to get to the next part of game it is huge waste of time (I am referring to the Comet challenges as well or what may the correct term have been). There is nothing to do except go on a scavenger hunt for 1-ups which you could get way easier by collecting 50 or so Star Bits in the levels. This is a different game, whether or not there is a hub world does not matter since people like to play the levels mostly.

Personally, I would have been okay either way if they had the same hub world system like the previous game, but I prefer getting right to the main gameplay more than venturing through a hub world to get to the levels
It worked pretty well in SM64 and Sunshine to some, but in SMG not so much.

It worked pretty well in SM64 and Sunshine to some, but in SMG not so much.
That's because it wasn't done right in either game. The castle in 64 was great because it encouraged a lot of exploration and had a lot to unlock and view. And that hub world inspired a lot of stuff in future Mario games, and even influenced hub worlds in other franchises. Sunshine was even better in this regard...Delfino Plaza was practically a level in its own right, and a lively one at that (if somewhat calmer than the other levels, but I wouldn't want to be dodging dangers in a hub world anyway). There was always something to do or to look for if you wanted to, but if you didn't want to, the regular levels were never too far away (with the possible exception of Pianta Village, which was in quite an annoying location).

In SMG1, however, some of this stuff was present in the Comet Observatory, but not in the same degrees as the previous two games. There wasn't as much to do or see or interact with, and it just seemed to take longer to get everywhere (partly because of the structure of the Comet Observatory, and also because Mario lacked the Slide Attack, which in the previous two games was a faster means of locomotion than dashing, particularly in Sunshine, when it could be spammed endlessly.) The scenery in the Comet Observatory was better than Peach's Castle in 64 but worse than Delfino Plaza in Sunshine. I also just didn't find the Lumas as interesting to talk to as the Piantas...they were often funny, but they didn't do as much.

In short, the only reason that the hub world setup didn't "fit" SMG as well as it did the other two was because they did a half-assed job with it. They could have done a much better job in SMG2...for instance, the Starship Mario could have been traveling back and forth between "hub galaxies", from which various levels could be accessed. In fact, this might have worked well in SMG1, too; the Comet Observatory could have still had all the secret galaxies on it, but the main galaxies could have been situated on central galaxies which the Comet Observatory could travel between.

Bottom line, I think they could have been a lot more creative for how the intra-level travel was, in both games, and especially in the new one.

I rather like linear progression as opposed to hub world types of things (like in Super Mario 64). It gives me a great sense of progression, like I'm venturing ever deeper into a great adventure.

With hub worlds it just feels like I'm home, go outside, return home, go outside again, return, etc. It never really feels like I'm progressing or really going anywhere. I'm just sitting in the same general area, only ever going out of my way a few times here and there, but always returning to the same damn place.

Linearity gives more of a sense of leaving home and traveling places. Going from here to there, going outside and not coming back for a great while. It gives a great feeling that you're really going somewhere.

Not sure how this applies here, though. I still haven't played the game yet, though I've saved up 25 dollars so far. Only 25 more to go... >_>

Well, a GOOD hub world shouldn't make you feel like you're just going back to the same area over and over again. What about the Spyro games? They featured a series of hub worlds, rather than just one, so there was still some sense of progression in the games. That's the kind of hub I wish Galaxy had.

Yeah, that would be awesome.

You know those yellow stars that shoot you to far places? Just use that as a hub picker. One at both ends. (And maybe an optional start menu hub world picker?)

Yeah, that would be awesome.
If you stop. Typing like this?

Like ICE, I like the idea of the somewhat linear progression.
Exploring the Castle and Isle Delphino was fun the first time, and just got tiring and boring as the game went on. It felt like a big waste of time going back up and down the several floors or jumping from building-to-building when I needed to go to a level I went to previously.
The "classic" map style this game has gives a sense of progression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back