Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That aside, I always love your reviews, SpiritCrusher. They're always detailed but straightforward, and describe the good and the bad without sugar-coating it, or exaggerating it in either direction. Best of all, you always toss in lots of specific suggestions for improvement, which are typically not that difficult to do. Originally, I wasn't going to do a great deal of modification to DDZ for v4.0, but you've convinced me to do so. I will be implementing as many of your suggestions as I can. And keep the reviews coming...they really help me!

That aside, I always love your reviews, SpiritCrusher. They're always detailed but straightforward, and describe the good and the bad without sugar-coating it, or exaggerating it in either direction. Best of all, you always toss in lots of specific suggestions for improvement, which are typically not that difficult to do. Originally, I wasn't going to do a great deal of modification to DDZ for v4.0, but you've convinced me to do so. I will be implementing as many of your suggestions as I can. And keep the reviews coming...they really help me!
Why thank you very much, I like to help. I've just made the one for Snowcap Nimbus, it's located in the post where the rest is.

As for sector-based scenery in Snowcap Nimbus, coming up with that is much trickier than for Drowned Downtown. Because Drowned Downtown was a ruined city, there was basically no limit to the sector-based scenery I could add there. Traffic cones, roadblocks, lanes, trash cans, fire hydrants, a chalk outline, an overturned car, advertisements and billboards...a ruined city is filled with junk.

But a barren, icy, oil-polluted mountaintop is harder to come up with anything for. There's just not that much you'd find there. I do have some new sector scenery, and you will see in in v4.0. I created some snow-covered fir trees, but they lag like hell, so they are used only in a single section of Act 2. I'm reluctant to add more pipes, because pipes are already ubiquitous throughout ECZ, DDZ, LGZ, and SZ. Beyond that, can you give me any suggestions for the sort of sector scenery one might see in a place like Snowcap Nimbus?

The reason I didn't mention any examples was that I didn't come up with any. I know that it's rather hard to create sector-based scenery for an ice-theme. You might wanna simplify that tree a bit so you can use it more often. Apart from that, sector-based scenery doesn't necessarily mean that you need to create a "thing" with sector, I rather meant that the sector layout should be made interesting. You know, the bridge is an example of sector-based scenery, even an interesting-looking cave would be sector-based scenery. Everything that looks unique and catches interest.

EDIT: I can't really describe it in words, you might wanna look at some ice-themed levels more extensively and see how they do it. The one from Blue Heaven springs to mind, especially in terms of making large rooms have great layouts.

Last edited:
An update on Drowned Downtown Zone: I've come up with a few custom textures for this level. Here are the new textures:

w6toao.png
sb0p06.png
21ccro5.png

x2nuhi.png

Umm, they still use the regular DCZ texture as a background. I doubt that this will help with texture variation.

Well, it won't help the underlying variation, but they do mean that some of the walls are decorated a bit. I might improve them later on.

EDIT: Just so you guys know, I'm not letting up on new types of sector scenery for DDZ. On the new path in Act 1, you'll encounter a derailed train! And no...this train has absolutely NO custom flats on it.

2w33rep.png

Last edited:
For Drowned Downtown Zone:
BRICK1W or BRICK1 (flat)
BRICK2W or BRICK2 (flat)

Not all buildings are made of bricks, by the way. Try metal and cement like textures and you could also scale up the current brick texture you're using.

Some of the sector decorations could look better as items. The orange cones and fire hydrant at the beginning would look better as, a bit more detailed, items along with other decorations similar to them.

For Drowned Downtown Zone:
BRICK1W or BRICK1 (flat)
BRICK2W or BRICK2 (flat)

Not all buildings are made of bricks, by the way. Try metal and cement like textures and you could also scale up the current brick texture you're using.

Some of the sector decorations could look better as items. The orange cones and fire hydrant at the beginning would look better as, a bit more detailed, items along with other decorations similar to them.
I don't really like those brick textures that much...but you can actually see BRICK2W in Drowned Downtown's Match counterpart, Flooded Fray Zone. As for BRICK1W, I can't use it because I replaced it with a custom texture (I'm not bothering with inserting new patches)

Also, I kind of disagree that the cones and hydrants would look better as Things. But I guess it's up to opinion. I'm not changing that, though.

And in the new version of DDZ that will be in v4.0, there will be some variation in buildings. Some of them will be made of glass panes instead of brick.

Also, I kind of disagree that the cones and hydrants would look better as Things. But I guess it's up to opinion. I'm not changing that, though.

They're pretty blocky as Sectors. As Things you can make them look more detailed and cleaner.

Very nice level pack in my opinion (except the detons in the flashing red passageway good god the detons in the flashing red passageway). I was having fun cruising through the levels, testing a character... and then this.

impasse.png

Aside from that, though, these are pretty fun. Feels a lot like a marathon at some points.

On another note, two HOM's that I've noticed... one between two buildings near the rooftops in drowned downtown reached by two red springs, and one in Snowcap Nimbus, zone 2 I think, right at the end.

------------------------------------EDIT:------------------------------------

Okay, big error. Game crashes out in Alien Armageddon Zone 2. No idea what exactly causes it; there's no explanation given other than the generic Windows "This program has encountered an error and needs to close. Do you want to send a bug report?" prompt. It's always at the same point, too; right after the big table, in the first area with cannons and loose cannonballs everywhere.

Last edited:
As a note on the above post, FOFs with No Sonic/Tails/Knux flags should be avoided as a way of blocking off routes, for the most part. I'd recommend putting a hole in that ceiling so only Tails can fly up, and if it fits the theme (I haven't played the latest release yet, so I dunno which map that is) maybe a fan or something to block Tails out of the other path? That way, if someone's using a custom character, they can just take the path that they're able to take.

Then again, you could always have an extra path be opened if you come up as a different character ;)

As of now, I have no plans to make Tortured Planet custom character friendly. It's been fine-tuned to work with Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles...isn't that enough? AFAIC, go nuts with your custom characters, but don't get angry if the character flags mess you up.
Okay, big error. Game crashes out in Alien Armageddon Zone 2. No idea what exactly causes it; there's no explanation given other than the generic Windows "This program has encountered an error and needs to close. Do you want to send a bug report?" prompt. It's always at the same point, too; right after the big table, in the first area with cannons and loose cannonballs everywhere.
Anyone else have this problem? Because this has never happened to me whenever I've played through that area.

Actually, yes. I have the same problem. I have no idea what causes it myself, but I was able to play through the stage in coop mode fine, but I cannot clear it in single player as the game crashes in the aforementioned room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back