What would happen if STJr takes over Sega

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to agree with I'll Begin. Specially in the 3rd paragraph: Sure, they've declined a bit, but they're still playable. I mean, nearly every recent Sonic game involved the Chaos Emeralds, if not a similar transformation.

And another thing I specially agree with is the 2nd last paragraph: All good universes need to be expansive. Look at Mario. He started as an 8 bit plataformer, and now there's stuff like stuff in the real world, and everytime in a different place. It also has it's certain bit that's almost constantly the same though: Bowser as the villain. Super Paper Mario makes a change (with Bowser as a playable character and a new set of villains), but it's still almost the same. Oh yeah, and lava. Specially lava. That's always, I repeat, ALWAYS, in any Mario game. Specially near the end. But then in the Sonic universe, Eggman's machines are always a bit too fancy-looking. And nearly every force he's unleashed has turned on him (Dark Gaia in Sonic Unleashed, Chaos in SA, Shadow in SA2, E-123 Omega, and Metal Sonic in Sonic Heroes), which also gets monotonous. But hey, not everything's gloom and doom for Sonic. He'll improve over time. They're starting to focus on his speed (because he's supposed to be fast) and a bit more platforming (from his origins), while still varying.

And my own opinion about STJr taking over SEGA, well...It'd be radically different. The gameplay would be more classic, but then there are some graphics whores who usually don't play if the game isn't top-tech, which I find anoyying. But the games would be dang awesome...

Well, maybe. I admit I might be wrong, but still. It's theoretically impossible, so we'll never know.

You joke about the "when it's done" thingy, but the case would be different here: SRB2 is made in the little spare time the developers have, while an official game would be made in their work time which is way bigger, they would get money to fund the development and also there would be a lot more of people involved in it. So the game would be finished a lot faster.
And those funding the project (aka investors) would demand delivery deadlines, negating the whole 'when it's done' thing.

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

The programmers will take over 10 years to make something on an outdated FPS engine. The game will ditch many Sonic staples like speed and exciting gameplay, and play too much like a first-person shooter.
Yes, this is so true! I don't get why people keep saying "SRB2 plays like a traditional Sonic game" when it really doesn't. SRB2 is Sonic 3D Blast worsened to the power of 10. It doesn't really feel like the originals (Sonic 1 - Sonic 3 & Knuckles), nor does it feel like the current Sonic games either. It feels like what it really is, like someone took a first-person-shooter game and put Sonic and company there. SRB2 might be an OK game within its context, but I'd definitely wouldn't like Sonic Team Jr. taking over SEGA and making all their games like that. I cringe thinking of how STjr would've done Outrun.

RCC2k9 said:
SRB2 is Sonic 3D Blast worsened to the power of 10. It doesn't really feel like the originals (Sonic 1 - Sonic 3 & Knuckles), nor does it feel like the current Sonic games either.
How do you figure that? The only thing in SRB2 that doesn't feel like a Sonic-type thing to me is the special stages, and even those are spectacular. SRB2's a hell of a lot better than the crap Sega's cranking out right now. Sure, it isn't as good as S3K, but there's a mod in development to make it feel more like that. :) SRB2 is ten times better than Sonic 3D Blast. I think you should try to get a better feel of the game. Most people who think SRB2 sucks think so because they think it's too hard.

How do you figure that? The only thing in SRB2 that doesn't feel like a Sonic-type thing to me is the special stages, and even those are spectacular. SRB2's a hell of a lot better than the crap Sega's cranking out right now. Sure, it isn't as good as S3K, but there's a mod in development to make it feel more like that. :) SRB2 is ten times better than Sonic 3D Blast. I think you should try to get a better feel of the game. Most people who think SRB2 sucks think so because they think it's too hard.
Plus, I'll Begin wrote the quoted sentence BEFORE experiencing the awesomeness that is SRB2ME.

I have no doubt that the quality of Sonic would vastly improve, and SEGA would easily become as strong as Nintendo. STJr. has proved what it's capable of with readily available, comparatively basic technology. If it had access to all of the resources of a giant company like SEGA, there's no telling what they could create.

This would never happen, but if it did.
No loops and slopes in games! :D
Lag! :)
Killing some of our favorite characters!
Spending 10 years to finish a game. (O_o)

Most people who think SRB2 sucks think so because they think it's too hard.
Well, that IS part of it. Of course, most users who post in these forums can't just see it, because they've been playing the game for so long that they can play the whole GFZ with their monitor powered off. But the game IS still unnecessarily hard - if there were settings like Easy, Normal and Hard with the current play being Hard then yes, it'll fit like a glove, but life's too short and some of us have lives, jobs, school, family, etc.

However, the excessive difficulty is only a small fraction of the problem with SRB2. The characters are almost impossible to control, especially if using a joystick or game pad that has both cross and 'x' (diagonal) movement controls. Sometimes (so often it's annoying) you turn left and get into a room but the camera turns right, or you drop into a tunnel and the camera stays up. Then you have to move blindly in that room or tunnel for a few seconds to get the camera to follow along, since the keystroke to center the camera in view does absolutely nothing! Oh yeah, that's how STjr would've done Outrun if they had taken over SEGA.

So yes, creating a Sonic game on a DOOM engine is awesome as a proof of concept but it doesn't qualify as the kind of game you'd expect a game-development company to produce. I bought all the classic Sonic games, all up to Sonic 3D Blast, and if SEGA had released Chaotix for the PC, I would've paid for it too. I've also bought a couple of the newer generation of games for the GBA and the PSP. I would not purchase SRB2 if it was sold, so definitely I do believe that STjr taking over SEGA could hurt SEGA's bottom line.

Last edited:
If STj released a console version of SRB2, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Obviously the engine would either have to be revamped or scrapped for it work well on a modern console but if the game developers were actually being paid to make this game, it would probably be a fantastic game. For what it is, I love the game but it's far from perfect in it's current state.

Sonic Robo Blast 2 for Xbox360, Wii (owait), PlayStation 2, DS, PSP, PC (a dur) and Cell Phone. Now with slopes!

I think that an engaging storyline, while not essential for the Sonic franchise, definitely enhances it when done properly. I'm paraphrasing a post from the GHZ forums when I say that Sonic Adventure and it's sequel had great storylines not only because they were engaging and fairly intelligent, but also because they allowed for a lot of spectulation. Honestly, half the fun of the Adventures was guessing what would happen next.

Of course, a story is secondary to sound gameplay, but I suppose I'll be bold by saying that I don't believe this is the most pressing problem of the recent games.

To quote fawfulfan...
"I have no doubt that the quality of Sonic would vastly improve, and SEGA would easily become as strong as Nintendo. STJr. has proved what it's capable of with readily available, comparatively basic technology. If it had access to all of the resources of a giant company like SEGA, there's no telling what they could create."

Yes, you'd have their resources and technology on hand. You'd also have higher-execs who would demand high-selling products (not necessarily the same thing as a good game) and a marketing team that would make ludicious promises ("You want ANOTHER Sonic game by Christmas? Sure! We could do that!"), not to mention a much more hectic production schedule and management highly relunctant to approve delays.

Plus, Sega's in the deep red right now. You know that? (http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/05/second-year-of-sega-sammy-losses/) Chances are, what with the lay-offs and everything, that you might be out on the street before you know it. So, ask yourself: Is it a truly good idea for STJr to lose its autonomy?

Last edited:
If STJr took over Sega...

-All annoying and unneccessary characters would be eliminated.

-Sonic games would have some actual platforming in them again.

-Storyline would be gone.

-People would like 3D Sonic games again.

Plain n' simple.

To all those saying it'd take 10 years: Making the games would be our job.

Therefore it would take first priority, so I'd give it a couple of years at most, if that, since we'd have a full team of developers who would do what we say (the ones that don't run away when their bosses are brutally murdered and replaced by STJr, that is).

I would think there would be ups and downs... Better gameplay? Sure. Better storyline? Possibly. Character development? Universe expansion? Fat chance.

In the end there is NO WAY to please everyone. Some people like new additions, like new characters, like sega TRYING to branch out, others obviously don't. It would be different yes, but would it be BETTER? I dunno. However if you miss classic sega, dust off your dreamcasts and genesis(es?) cause I'm sure with the way sonic team is going STJr would blow them away. (Minus Unleashed, which was actually fun)

- No loops or slopes
- Return of classic gameplay
- The scrapping of countless modern characters
- Laggy netgames
- Ability to make new characters/levels
- Games taking decades to make
- Games running on doom engine
- Storylines being minimal
- Bottomless pits everywhere
- Creative levels

I love how people think it would be loopless/slopeless, that's a limit of the engine. We wouldn't use Doom's shoddy engine for a commercial game.
And for the second or third time, paid to develop == faster. >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back